Could use a bit of advice - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My recruiter had told me that you HAD to go infantry to get recon... it was technically possible to go intelligence (which is what I wanted) but they were much more likely to pick infantry (being as theyve already been to AIT). Thats my two cents... oh and btw 'POOLEE' this guy isnt ahead of himself... hes dedicated and motivated. Esprit de Corps is what its all about my friend. Best of luck, you seem like a real hard charger.

Iljw, I thought this also, but my current recruiter is a mech., who was put with a recon unit and had to to the INDOC. Which after he completed he was given the choice to switch to a recon MOS. I dont know exactly how it all happened but he didn't take it. Dont take my word on it though.

Credits
    Savings
    If you really want Recon, try to get a UZ contract. It guarantees you the opportunity to try plus gives you a nice 7.5 thousand $ bonus upon completion of Basic Reconnaissance Course. From what I have heard, the UZ contract is the easiest (remember none of it will be easy), most direct way to get into Reconnaissance. Obviously I am not a Marine yet (leave in 15 days) so i wouldn't be able to tell you about transfering between MOS's but am just passing on info i have heard. Good luck with whatever option you choose.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Well, it looks like I was dropped from DEP for a pending "criminal" charge I recieved two years and four months ago. A police officer decided to lose my police report, then when finally getting a hold of him he decided to re-press charges. Now I've got to wait for the court to dismiss the charges because it's outside of the statute of limitations, and wait another eight months for boot.

That sucks man, well try and keep up the motavation.

If I'm not mistaken you can't switch to a different MOS without being in your chosen position for several years. My advice is, take it a day at a time. If you want recon however, I suggest your days be full of PT.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    If you're joining the Marines just do to the contract, finish college, and go be an officer in the Navy, you might want to reconsider. If you really want to be a Marine, don't join to go to college. Especially if you're trying to be infantry, you won't have time for it. The Army/Navy/Air Force all have the same college benefits, you can join them to do that, the Marines dont want you for that. Theyll encourage you to take night classes, but good luck getting your bachelors in Force Recon. One of my best friends in the Marines gave me memorable advice - 'youre not going into the Marines to go meet interesting people around the world, youre joining to meet interesting people around the world and KILL THEM.'

Hey Jeff, I hope that the charge gets dropped for ya! you need a security clearance for Recon.

Also, alternative to stew smiths workout(which I've heard great things about) you can try the P90X workout. Currently I'm doing P90X and it's getting me into AWESOME shape, and i'm not even that far into the program.

Either way, best of luck getting that recon contract, you seem HIGHLY motivated. Which is what you need.

BTW I have a UZ contract myself so if you'd like to talk sometime, I can give you any information on the UZ contract.

Thread Information