Passing of a Marine War Hero and Figther Ace
Create Post

Passing of a Marine War Hero and Figther Ace

Another Great Marine has Passed on…John W. Ruhsam USMC (R)

In 1973 I made the decision to join the Marine JROTC unit at Venice High School (FL). It was a good decision, I would thank myself later on for doing this. Despite the fact I was a Sailor.. the "Marine" bearing and discipline I carry I learned from Colonel John W. Ruhsam USMC and 1st Sgt James Dailey. Colonel Ruhsam was our Senior Marine Instructor. Not many cadets ever knew he was an honest to God war hero and fighter Ace.. he never talked about it. Concerning the Colonel, the 1st Sgt would just say - "The Colonel is a Special Marine". That said volumes - he himself was a highly decorated Marine and.. a Chosin Reservoir Marine.

Colonel Ruhsam was indeed a tough Marine, hard as woodpecker lips. Yet, he could be kind and helpful.. IF.. he liked you. For whatever crazy reason, the Colonel liked me. For three years he helped me to understand what it means to serve and be proud of your Country and your brothers. He demonstrated to all of us cadets what it takes be a Marine and a leader of Marines. My best friend Martin and I were the highest ranking Cadet Officers and were given command of the two companies (50 cadets in each company) so we had little leeway and were eyeballed by the Colonel constantly.

Those were some of the best years of my life. I am forever indebted to Colonel Ruhsam for helping me become the man I am. Ironically, my life's adventures were just beginning.. the Colonels adventures in life and living had started long before I would come to know this Outstanding Marine Officer. It would start as the United States was picking itself up from the cowardly sucker punch we took at Pearl Harbor. John W. Ruhsam, Born Sept 7, 1922.. left his home in Albert Lea Minnesota for College.. then the US Marine Corps. He Attended Iowa State College and received his Navy Wings and was Commissioned in the Marine Corps in Oct of 1943. He was primarily attached to VMF-323 but also flew with VMF's 122, 214, 451.

Colonel Rusham was awarded the Navy Cross for his bravery and actions during Okinawa campaign during World War II. He was a certified “Ace” with 7 kills to his credit in his F4U Corsair as a member of Marine Fighter Squadron VMF-323 Death Rattlers. He was also awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross, 5 Air Medals and 2 Navy Commendation Medals with Combat V. and He was a young 2nd LT at the time.

Interestingly.. back during the air battle over le-jima, Colonel Ruhsam was fighting in the air just a couple of months before Ernie Pyle (famous war correspondent) would be killed there.

After WWII Colonel Ruhsam served as a fighter pilot during the Korean War.. after that he served in Vietnam. He performed the duties as an XO at a number of Marine bases, Washington state, Cherry Point NC where he was Inspector General of the Reserve Command.

Semper Fi Colonel, Thank you for all you did and all you sacrificed for this Country... and Thank you for all you did to help me in life. Yes Sir, I promise to remember to wipe my feet next time before entering your spaces...Sir!

Navy Cross Citation

The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Navy Cross to Second Lieutenant John W. Ruhsam (MCSN: 0-30883), United States Marine Corps (Reserve), for extraordinary heroism and distinguished service in the line of his profession as Section Leader and a Pilot in Marine Fighting Squadron THREE HUNDRED TWENTY-THREE (VMF-323), Marine Air Group THIRTY-THREE (MAG-33), FOURTH Marine Aircraft Wing, in aerial combat against enemy Japanese forces in the vicinity of Ie Shima, Ryukyu Islands, on 4 May 1945. Flying on combat air patrol, Second Lieutenant Ruhsam signed an enemy bomber-type aircraft disappearing over the horizon and, giving chase with his wingman, encountered a Japanese force of approximately twenty-five suicide dive bombers headed for friendly shipping off Okinawa. Undaunted by the formidable array, he initiated an immediate attack and, alternating with his wingman, made repeated runs on the hostile formation to shoot down four of the enemy craft and damage three others, finally joining his wingman in scattering the remainder. His indomitable fighting spirit, courageous airmanship and devotion to duty were in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.
    Service: Marine Corps Reserve

2Nd LT John W. Ruhsam, USMC (R)

The First picture was taken (on plane) in September 1945 – Marine Air field (Henderson field), Guadalcanal, South Pacific. The picture says "John W. Ruhsam, VMF-232, Okinawa, 7 Japs"

The second picture was at a VMF-323, Death Rattler reunion in 2003.. thats 58 years between the pictures.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Colonel Ruhsam.jpg‎
Views:	446
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	8303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Colonel Ruhsam at reunion 2003.jpg‎
Views:	360
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	8304  

Fantastic Tribute of a truly special Man, Marine, and Hero! Special Thank You for mentioning my Grandfather, 1st Sgt Dailey!!

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    James thank you for sharing such a great story!! And from an old swabbie, got you by a few years, "fair winds and following seas"

Dan

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    So long old friend, remember "Marines never really die, they just go to heaven and re-group for duty up there!"

Semper FI brother.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Of His Honor And His Glory The People Shall Sing

That was a great piece swabbie. It would of been a great honor just to know the man. Semper Fi Colonel!

Is was a great piece, to you Colonel Semper Fi !!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Fantastic tribute to a fantastic hero and Marine.

Simper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    Rest in Peace Colonel, Semper Fi.

Sempre Fidelis !!

One of the reasons Marines are called " THE FEW, AND THE PROUD !
    Ken

Thank You For Your Service Sir, Rest In Peace. May God Richley Bless Your Family.

Semper Fi

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

Quote Originally Posted by granddaughter View Post
    Fantastic Tribute of a truly special Man, Marine, and Hero! Special Thank You for mentioning my Grandfather, 1st Sgt Dailey!!
    You got it kiddo.. They were both great guys and awesome Marines. I was honored and privlidged to have known them for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by clansman5 View Post
    That was a great piece swabbie. It would of been a great honor just to know the man. Semper Fi Colonel!
    Thanks man. They were my idols as a young man. I never really knew or fully realized the extent of what they did when they served until long after I was out myself. I can honestly say I walked with "Giants" for a short time .. a long time ago.

Thread Information