Signing My Contract Question?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question Signing My Contract Question?

Good evening MARINES. I plan on signing my contract with the MARINE CORPS this week. I have a very close family friend who is a MARINE LT. Colonel who i have been consulting during my decision process. He said to me that he wants to be there with me and meet the recruiter and all that when i go to sign my contract. I thought this was very nice of him and didn't see a problem with it until i talked to my buddy who is a Corporal. He thinks it would be weird if i brought a LT. Colonel in with me to sign my contract because he is of such a higher rank. My question is, would it be weird or not right if i brought a LT. Colonel in with me to sign me contract since he already told me he wants to be there when i do go to sign?
    Thanks for your time MARINES.

I don't think it would be weird. You would know exactly what you were signing since you had someone experienced with you. Things can change it did for me, worked out for the better though.

If you have a Lt. Col. who wants to come in and give you a hand then if I were you, I'd damn well accept that offer. Thats a very generous offer by someone, whom I'm sure, has better bigger more important things to do.

So yes, call him up and have him come along. Besides with that kinda pull there, you don't have to worry about getting the once-over by your recruiter like a lot of Marines have (or at least claim to have). It can't hurt anything, and if your recruiter is doing his job properly he won't find it weird or awkward in the least to have a Lt. Col. there.

It sounds like he wants to look out for you, and my GUESS is he would be pretty disappointed if you did not bring him. Don't listen to your buddy, let the Lt. Col. come along.

Whatever happened to having someone fill out there profile first before giving them an answer?
    And yes, it is a big deal. The Marines here who are going to give answers should know who they are talking to.

Im 50/50 on this, one it could be taken as a sign of favoritism. On the other hand, having a Senior Marine with you when you sign the contract, can be a good thing. Now I'm not accusing the Lt. Col of any favoritism, as I'm sure his only intention is just to be there, maybe be the one to be able to give you your oath. That is probably his intentions, however don't let a Lt. Col helping you out go to your head. Nuff Said I suppose, give the Lt. Col our best, and a Semper Fi.

Well, if he is a very close family friend, then I'm sure the Lt Col likes the kid... Never heard of a Lt Col DI, so I'm sure it doesnt matter :P

Probably just wants to make sure your contract is good and all. Same as having someone more experienced helping you buy a car/house/boat/whatever.

I would take him along if I were you.

Credits
    Savings
    No.

Favoritism.

Word will get to PI.

I saw it happen.

Kid in SD, answered that his Dad was a LtCol.

He was rode hard.

Used to puke in his tray at chow.

Tried too hard.

Everyone expected him to make PFC, etc., etc.

Barely qualed at the range, (nerves), and went home a Pvt.

So, what you're saying is he made it through bootcamp ? :P The pros (contract you want), out weigh the cons (possibly get ridden a little harder at PI).

And this isn't his dad, or uncle, or anything. I mean, my family has friends that are high ranking military. Doesn't mean that I have to acknowledge their existence.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by MD8724 View Post
    So, what you're saying is he made it through bootcamp ? :P The pros (contract you want), out weigh the cons (possibly get ridden a little harder at PI).

And this isn't his dad, or uncle, or anything. I mean, my family has friends that are high ranking military. Doesn't mean that I have to acknowledge their existence.
    Very astute there -
    Barely qualed at the range, (nerves), and went home a Pvt.
    Yeah, he made it through boot.

There weren't a gross of PFC'c coming out of boot, as there is today. He came out an E-1 and you could see the disappointment on the faces of his family.

Existence? We were specifically asked, and had to even write it down, that we had senior officers in the family, or ranking friends that may attend.

look, the Lt Col will not be able to influence his contract, what he's wanting to do is to see him swear in. You can have guests watch you swear in, it's normal.

But if you're gonna do that then make sure you tell you recruiter ahead of time. No one (commanders included) likes having field grade officers on deck without their knowledge. So, if it is just to see you swear in then sure, it doesn't matter.

If you think he can get you something you want then you and he are sadly mistaken as he's not part of the command so his orders would mean squat. And if he did give them hell then I can assure you they will call down to your SDI and inform him of your attempt.

Credits
    Savings
    Yep, what he said!

Quote Originally Posted by Petz View Post
    look, the Lt Col will not be able to influence his contract, what he's wanting to do is to see him swear in. You can have guests watch you swear in, it's normal.

But if you're gonna do that then make sure you tell you recruiter ahead of time. No one (commanders included) likes having field grade officers on deck without their knowledge. So, if it is just to see you swear in then sure, it doesn't matter.

If you think he can get you something you want then you and he are sadly mistaken as he's not part of the command so his orders would mean squat. And if he did give them hell then I can assure you they will call down to your SDI and inform him of your attempt.
    This is by FAR the BEST response.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It isn't going to hurt anything for the Lt Col to come along. I'm sure he knows the game just as well as anyone else there.

As for recruits with senior officers as relatives or family friends, it happens frequently and usually the recruit puts more pressure on himself than the Drill Instructors do.

My father had only been a Corporal of Marines, but I felt tremendous self-pressure to perform well in order to make him proud. I was fortunate to get one of the few PFC meritorious promotions (they only promoted a MAX of 10% then, so we had six, plus one contract PFC).

Thread Information