Chow Halls - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chow Halls

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    My pleasure. SOS was always my favorite part of morning chow. Poured all over everything! I didn't care if it got on the pancakes. My daughter makes this stuff for supper sometimes and my son can't get enough of it.

BTW, you might want to experiment with the soy sauce part of that recipe. I like soy sauce, but I usually skip it in the SOS - makes things just a tad too salty I think.
    Zulu you sure know how to make a Marine hungry, is that an original SOS recipe from our beloved Corps?

Quote Originally Posted by ameriken View Post
    Damn, all this talk about SOS is making me hungry. I remember getting eggs, hashbrown and sausage and have them smear a couple of scoops of SOS over it all.

The chow hall in Schwab back in '77 had the best SOS I had in the Corps.
    That sure was good.

Quote Originally Posted by 7th Comm Bn View Post
    I have to give you an Amen on that. When I was on "the rock" (Camp Hansen) I had a buddy I had went to boot camp and MCCES with who was stationed at Camp Zukeran right next to Kadena Air Base. He found out that Marines could go over to the Air Base and eat in their chow hall. I don't know how it worked that way, but they let us eat on our meal tickets! It was unbelievable. They had a choice of 3 different entrees on the menu! It blew me away. It was like eating in a friggin' restaurant! ...and airmen were telling us we could cut in line before them. They treated us like royalty.

Hell...in all the Marine mess halls I'd ever been in...they had one main dish...and if you didn't get there within the first 30 minutes or so, you got a slice of "steamed" ham!
    The army sure had good food on Okinawa too, alot of different choices of meat.

In my little expierance I have found that 29 palms has a decent chow hall, better than where ive been at least....

Havent had chili mac in awhile though

[quote=Zulu 36;559485] SOS was always my favorite part of morning chow. Poured all over everything! I didn't care if it got on the pancakes.
    Hey Chris,I don't think it would taste that great on pizza....
    ED....

I think when LDO Majors started showing up with Corporal's insignia that the game was up.

Most of time I would get two pancakes, topped with SOS, top that with two eggs over easy; then smash it all together. The toast used to scrape up the leftover gravy & egg. I can't wait until tomorrow morning....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    Zulu you sure know how to make a Marine hungry, is that an original SOS recipe from our beloved Corps?

I don't know how original it is, but it is the recommended recipe from Leatherneck Magazine, for what it's worth.

I like it and my kids like it. Even my ex likes it.

God, I've got to get a life. Here I am discussing chow halls and SOS recipes with Marines while watching YouTube videos of Royal Marines Bands.

Come to think of it, that is a pretty good life after all.

I don't know how original it is, but it is the recommended recipe from Leatherneck Magazine, for what it's worth.

I like it and my kids like it. Even my ex likes it.

God, I've got to get a life. Here I am discussing chow halls and SOS recipes with Marines while watching YouTube videos of Royal Marines Bands.

Come to think of it, that is a pretty good life after all.
    Thanks Brother, Semper FI.

Credits
    Savings
    There are several SOS recipes in Maria's 'share a recipe' thread.

BUT, this one will be tried Saturday morning.

Thanks Chris.

It won't taste right unless you add some sweat & cigarette ashes.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Skosh59 View Post
    It won't taste right unless you add some sweat & cigarette ashes.
    That's only for the "in the field" meals out of the insulated meat cans.

Do they even issue mess kits any more?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I was a Grunt & Winger all the Chow Halls were the same, all the cooks went to the same MOS school and got the same food from the same supply so how could it taste any differant from one part of the Camp or base to the next Chow Hall. It all tasted the same to me and it was pretty good at times. Chip Beef, over hash browns, and over easy eggs that was some good chit in the morning, and those big ribs, and other. Except for field chow and sand in the powdered eggs LOLOLOL stop complaining.

Semper Fi

Not really complaining over here, just wondering if there's any way possible to get COMRATS other than giving your life away through marriage so that I can do my own home cooking with my George Foreman and portable stove-top.

Hell back when I was in I was a Drill Instructor and I ate what the recruits ate. We had to stay in shape in order to keep up with the recruits. they were given a meal to help them get the bal. diet they needed to get threw the day. your body does need suger, protine,&fat at amount to do the work you are expeted to do.Now I am just a out of shape Marine. SSGT. Francisco..

Thread Information