M1A1 Tank Crewmember
Create Post

M1A1 Tank Crewmember

Was anyone here in 1812? Was wondering if you get to carry a M16 or if you just get issued a pistol? Can I do anything to help guarantee that specific MOS or is it just luck of the draw? My ASVAB score was 56 and my GT score was 108, I have 20/20 vision and am not color blind. I have many questions about this MOS but am not going to write it all now. Thanks Marines.

you will either go tanks or AAV. my old recruiter (he was an 1812) told me if i absolutely wanted tanks get a class 5 swim qual. i swam a 2nd class in boot and got tracs. i wouldn't have changed a thing

How do I get a class 5 swim qualification? Do I just swim like crap?

Quote Originally Posted by kimosabi1988 View Post
    How do I get a class 5 swim qualification? Do I just swim like crap?
    sink.

Ehhhh...yea. Why would you try to get a class 5 on purpose? Don't slack your way through boot camp, just because you want to get a certain job.

I didn't even know there was a class 5.

I dont want to slack my way through anything. I just was looking for any advice on getting that certain MOS, That was suggested to me not by me. Do you have any better suggestions? Any will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Marines.

Our platoon did a beach landing and the Navy told the the Tank Commander "Pop Kelly to disembark. He did and submerged the tank. Jerry Burrell, the driver, nearly drowned, later Jerry recounted the story (after his replacement tank got RPG'ed) to a reporter and got written up in Stars and Stripes February 8, 1966. Jerry was a very lucky Marine. Swimmig is a good skill to have.

Ok....I just dont want you to take bad advice from other Marines and cheat yourself in boot camp...Remember everything helps with promotions in the Marine Corps...even swim qualifications.

anyone promoting the name of a class 5 swim qual is giving bad advice.

do a min. 100% effort on everything, and when possible be the best at what you do and you'll go far. take that and run with it.

SSGT. Me and some other Marines in my platoon say class 5 for people who can't swim..its kind of a joke. Sorry if that was misleading info.

it's refered to as UNK...

he asked how to get tanks and i answered. i am not an advocate for doing the bare minimum at all. that's the only way i know how to get tanks over tracs, unless they needed tankers at that specific time.

my advice would be do your best and the Corps will do the rest.

first of all (1) if your not a tanker DO NOT call yourself a Tank Crewman, and (2) There is no class 5 swim qual, ...(Good advice Motivater)...However i am a Tanker, and with scores like that, you should'nt even think about going ground side, you'd be perfect for the ACE, (AirCombatElement) your too smart. BUT, if tanks is what you want then do it.
    Yes we get M16's, and we also get M9's. You'll have a chance at MCT to pick your MOS, but your best bet would be to try to get it before you go to bootcamp. if there's more you want to know just hit me back up.

Very Respectfully

Thread Information