PFC to CPL - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PFC to CPL

Quote Originally Posted by srinaldo86 View Post
    I'm looking to advance my rank as quick as possible, I have until December when I pickup LCpl, however I don't want to be a 2 year or Terminal Lance. I want to pickup Cpl as soon as possible. However my time in grade will be ridiculously low compared to the other LCpls in Security Battalion, Quantico. I'm basically just looking for whatever advice can be given to get me promoted quicker.
    Scores & Stats:
    Pistol - Expert
    Rifle - Expert
    CFT - 291 (3:02 MTF, 91 Ammo can, 2:16 MUF)
    PFT - 188 (22:07 Run, 100 Crunches, 3 Pull ups)
    Grey Belt
    10Lbs under Max Weight.
    EVOC Certified
    Government Licensed
    NO MCI's completed YET. (Still waiting on the damn books.)
    I volunteer for almost everything

I realize my PFT is TERRIBLE and I work on improving it all the time but I have another 5 months until its time to re-test.

Help?
    It took me more than 3 years, a combat deployment, and watching my buddies die before I ever picked up Corporal and here you are,
    a boot ass MP who is still ****ting his warriors breakfast and can only do 3 pullups asking how to become a non commissioned officer as fast as possible.... Are you ****ing kidding me? You're disgusting, go wave some colonel through the main gate you POG boot.

I have nerve damage from my neck to my wrist, I had trouble bringing a water bottle to my mouth five months ago, and couldn't cut a steak up for my birthday dinner. But I can do two pullups now because I bust my ass to get better.

You'll get Cpl by leading the Marines under you effectively, and a huge part of that is leading by example. You belong to the Marine Corps for the next four years, and the Marine Corps loves perfect. Bust your ass to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Accord View Post
    It took me more than 3 years, a combat deployment, and watching my buddies die before I ever picked up Corporal and here you are,
    a boot ass MP who is still ****ting his warriors breakfast and can only do 3 pullups asking how to become a non commissioned officer as fast as possible.... Are you ****ing kidding me? You're disgusting, go wave some colonel through the main gate you POG boot.
    I can understand everything you except this. Did you really have to go there?

I think he's going to hate the fact that all promotions are going to be practically none existant for a while. We're going to see 5-6 year LCpls picking up and 7-8 year Cpls getting Sgt just because of the economy and people re-upping for a second enlistment. You'll have people who will need to go on a review board just to get a boat space to reenlist (which is going on this year).

Kid, I don't understand; what's your hurry?

Its the new "I" and "ME" Generation, I see it all the time in the civilian world, civilians only looking out for themselfs and walking over who ever gets in their way. Shoot, I guarantee you see it on the roads too.

oh, you mean like those people who you're trying to pass and they speed up just to slow down 100 feet down the road and turn??? you mean those people on the road???

Quote Originally Posted by Petz View Post
    oh, you mean like those people who you're trying to pass and they speed up just to slow down 100 feet down the road and turn??? you mean those people on the road???
    Yup, and the ME FIRST people who tailgate you in the slow lane then speed around you on the left then slam on their brakes at the incoming red lighted intersection.

I can understand everything you except this. Did you really have to go there?

I think he's going to hate the fact that all promotions are going to be practically none existant for a while. We're going to see 5-6 year LCpls picking up and 7-8 year Cpls getting Sgt just because of the economy and people re-upping for a second enlistment. You'll have people who will need to go on a review board just to get a boat space to reenlist (which is going on this year).

Kid, I don't understand; what's your hurry?
    I can answer this, with a question of my own too, who doesn't wanna get promoted? Think about it. Yes, within a reasonable time frame in order to learn your job, but who the **** wants to spend 4 years as a Lcpl? Not me. Will it happen? Who knows, but I would like to get promoted. More money, more responsibility, and treated less like a child. I'm going to pick up Cpl as soon as I can too. I'm not gonna raise my hand in the middle of the ceremony, say hold on cowboy, and refuse the chevrons.

I know, I know!

Once you pick up LCpl, all you gotta do is find a way to impress a General and he will promote you to Cpl on the spot!

Quote Originally Posted by StoneTheWeak View Post
    I can answer this, with a question of my own too, who doesn't wanna get promoted? Think about it. Yes, within a reasonable time frame in order to learn your job, but who the **** wants to spend 4 years as a Lcpl? Not me. Will it happen? Who knows, but I would like to get promoted. More money, more responsibility, and treated less like a child. I'm going to pick up Cpl as soon as I can too. I'm not gonna raise my hand in the middle of the ceremony, say hold on cowboy, and refuse the chevrons.
    Bro, that's not even the point. You earn your points while you learn your job. You don't ask how do you go from PFC to Cpl as soon as possible. It's not up to you and me. It's up to the Marine Corps, retention, Bonuses, Recruiters..... the list goes on. You just need to excel at whatever it is you do and you'll get what's coming to you. End of story.

And STW, I have seen Marines refuse promotion to Sgt because they didn't feel they were ready for it. It's not uncommon for Cpls to get promoted too quickly to Sgt and feel inadequate in comparison to their predecessors.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Promotions come as promotions come. Some come faster than others. They do come slower the higher you go. That is simply the way of it.

In the old days, it wasn't unusual to be a hashmarked PFC. So be thankful this isn't the old days.

I'm stationed at Quantico surrounded by 2 and 3 year Lcpls. I'm a 23 year old PFC, I don't like being treated like a 18 year old punk. I'm older than a lot of my NCO's (please don't assume that I disrespect them because of that however.)
    I'm married, so a pay increase is always welcome.
    Through out my 1 year in the Marine Corps I've always been told to improve myself, advance yourself, be better than the next guy; So that's what I'm trying to do.

As far as the pullups go, thats what I got from my last PFT. I have improved since then, I'm currently at 7 but it doesn't matter until I run another PFT.

The ammo can lifts are easier for my shoulder, I can also use my legs.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Accord View Post

You have a way with words accord. That was a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneTheWeak View Post
    Anyone with a cutting score as low as the one you said your MOS has that doesn't become a NCO in under 2 years needs to walk the plank.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersquishy View Post
    Yup, and the ME FIRST people who tailgate you in the slow lane then speed around you on the left then slam on their brakes at the incoming red lighted intersection.
    If I didn't know any better, I would have guessed you two were from the Quantico area.

As for srinaldo86, ask a few of the guys from your unit to train and work out with you. Barbers Gym has trainers. If you need it, I'll help you! But for the love of the God, brother, work on those pullups. The boosted PFT score will help out with the Pro/Cons, too. You need to start training now, though; PFT time is right around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    Anyone with a cutting score as low as the one you said your MOS has that doesn't become a NCO in under 2 years needs to walk the plank.

No kidding. If I'm at 1575 with only being a lance for a month(not even) and no MCI's, by the time the 6 months goes by before I'm even eligible, I'll already have my MCI's in and my time in grade will have gone up. I don't plan on it being more than 8-9 months.

Thread Information