Devil Dog Diary
Create Post

Thread: Devil Dog Diary

Devil Dog Diary

Poolees, I just got reading a good book and I think you guys should all read it. It's called Devil Dog Diary, written by Gunnery Sergeant Price. It's a detailed account of a recruit's everyday training through boot camp.

When exactly was this written, pre- or post-Crucible introduction?

fullmetaljournal.blogspot.com

Post Crucible intro. It's an excellent read. Something of a bible to me, along with Making the Corps, by Thomas Ricks.

I have read both multiple times, and recommend both to any wannabe or poolee.

Poolee/DEP Free Member Hartford's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    There's also "Making the Corps" like Endurance said.

Right now I'm reading a book "Keeping Faith". It is written in the perspective of both the father and the son (recruit/Marine) from the high school graduation to the Marine graduation and then some. It's interesting to me because he comes from a family similar to mine. Not much/any military history in the family, white, middle class, all other older brother/sisters went to good colleges and everyone was shocked when he said he was joining the Marines. I'm about 1/3 of the way done with it and it's really good, everyone should read it - especially if your parents do not approve of your choice to become a Marine.

Sounds good, thanks Hartford. I'll put that on the list! Dang Hartford you're kicking my A$$ at pullups and crunches... See you at boot

Quote Originally Posted by Hartford View Post
    There's also "Making the Corps" like Endurance said.

Right now I'm reading a book "Keeping Faith". It is written in the perspective of both the father and the son (recruit/Marine) from the high school graduation to the Marine graduation and then some. It's interesting to me because he comes from a family similar to mine. Not much/any military history in the family, white, middle class, all other older brother/sisters went to good colleges and everyone was shocked when he said he was joining the Marines. I'm about 1/3 of the way done with it and it's really good, everyone should read it - especially if your parents do not approve of your choice to become a Marine.
    I read that one, too. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I like your comment about making your folks read it if they don't back you 100%. Good call.

Hey Hartford, where are you shipping to? I ship to MCRDPI the same day.

Ive read this book..its worth reading.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by atimmons View Post
    Sounds good, thanks Hartford. I'll put that on the list! Dang Hartford you're kicking my A$$ at pullups and crunches... See you at boot
    You'll enjoy it...I took it out to read during a 10 min. break in class yesterday and ended up reading it until the end of class - I didn't even notice the teacher started teaching again. My pullups and crunches are pretty good but my run time sucks...I had some nasty shin splints for a while but now they're all gone I believe so I'm working my way back into run days.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by trmptplyr View Post
    Hey Hartford, where are you shipping to? I ship to MCRDPI the same day.
    MCRDSD. We'll be getting slaughtered at different locations.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartford View Post
    You'll enjoy it...I took it out to read during a 10 min. break in class yesterday and ended up reading it until the end of class - I didn't even notice the teacher started teaching again. My pullups and crunches are pretty good but my run time sucks...I had some nasty shin splints for a while but now they're all gone I believe so I'm working my way back into run days.
    Your IST looks alot like my friends first IST, who is now at MCI. He had 20 pull ups like 95 crunches and a 14 min 1.5 mile. He was our running back last yer ran the 40 in 4.7 if I remember, he couldn't run distance. He went to boot camp running a 11 1.5 mile and ended running a low 22 3 mile if I remember right mabe lower. A 274 PFT, what ever run time that is lol. - On Topic - If your looking for a good vietnam book, The Expendables is a GREAT book. Its about Army Paratroopers, but non the less its a good book, about 500 pages, only will take you a few days, it was REALLY hard to put down.

Thread Information