Hey, young men,,,,,,,
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Thumbs up Hey, young men,,,,,,,

I have a question.

I know I was very influenced by the movies of my childhood. Stuff like The Sands of Iwo Jima, The Fighting Seebees, The Longest Day,,,, Etc.

I was wondering if you kids could say something similiar? What brought you to the point of joining? {Don't say Call of Duty,,,,I'm too old to handle that chit].
    Was there a movie? Platoon? Full Metal Jacket? The Saving of Private Rian?
    I really want to know, since I am so beholdin to John Wayne.

I really think those old movies helped me love America, Mom, and Apple Pie. Just made me ready to die for what I loved.
    Allright, kids,,,,,,chime in.

When I was 14 all I wanted to do was watch war movies old ones new ones whatever. I really liked Full Metal Jacket and Black Hawk Down. I remember one time I was watching Windtalkers with my family and during one of the battle scenes My mom said to me "what ever you do don't join the Marines they're the first to die". And here I am...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HookNLadder View Post
    When I was 14 all I wanted to do was watch war movies old ones new ones whatever. I really liked Full Metal Jacket and Black Hawk Down. I remember one time I was watching Windtalkers with my family and during one of the battle scenes My mom said to me "what ever you do don't join the Marines they're the first to die". And here I am...
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA,,,,,Thanks young Marine Wannabe,,,,,For the laff,,,,,,

I read more then I watched movies but if I had to pick one I would have to say We were soldiers. But books like Marine sniper and Guns up is what really inspired me and led me to the Marine Corps.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sbombard15 View Post
    I read more then I watched movies but if I had to pick one I would have to say We were soldiers. But books like Marine sniper and Guns up is what really inspired me and led me to the Marine Corps.
    Good to go, Simon,,,,, You're in my book.

Marine Friend Free Member Cressler's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I read GySgt. Hathcocks book that did alot for me even though i'm not goin into infantry

I went to a Veteran's Day Parade when I was ten. There, I saw a Marine in uniform, watching the parade not far from me. Later, a man in a jeep drove by, and raised his fist to the Marine on the sidewalk, and called out "Semper Fi, Marine!" The Marine watching the parade responded in turn.

I didn't know what these words meant, and looked them up in my big blue encyclopedia in the entry about Marines. I found my answer. Always Faithful. The full impact of these words was not lost on me, even at a young age.

I made up my mind that I too wanted to be Always Faithful, and serve my country, and a share a common bond with the Marine who had watched the parade with me.

10 years later, I am 3 months away from standing on the yellow footprints. I couldn't be any more excited.

Sure, I saw movies from the time of the parade up until this point. Classics, and most of them noted here. Certainly they only solidified my desire, my dream of being a United States Marine, but in all honesty, there was nothing as formative as the experience that November 11 all those years ago.

I've always loved war movies and anything to do military, and was planning on joining the Air Force. Then one day I was reading my Mom's Chicken Soup for the Soul of America. It was about peoples storys from 9/11. In there was a Marine who was home on leave who brought his Mom and Girlfriend to church. I truely dont even know how I knew the Marines were so tough, I truely dont, but I did. I decided if I was going to join, I was going to be the best of the best, and truely be part of The Few and The Proud.

My Grandpa and Uncle's were in every other branch, and I wanted to complete the circle. Also, my cub scout leader, who was my friends dad, was a Marine. He had some of his buddies come in dress blues and give us a uniform inspection. That was really cool for a 10 year old kid.

But honestly I've always wanted to be a Marine. The very first time I was asked in school what I wanted to do that's what I said (teacher freaked out).

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Glad to see you are all looking at yourselves. Nothing means nothing till it means something to you.
    Personally, my motovation was Mommie,,,,,, That was to me the American dream. I would give myself many times over for for that dream to keep. Not just my mommie, but yours too.

Full Metal Jacket was a huge motivator. I watch the Recruit Training part all the time. Lately, Taking Chance and Generation Kill have been the movies/tv shows I've been watching

There is one part in Ears Open Eye Balls click, I think when they are on the Crucible, and the Recruit hurts his back and he's on the ground. The Drill Instructor asks him whats wrong. The Recruit replies "My back".. The Drill Instructor just yells "MY MY MY MY MY? THIS RECRUIT, THIS RECRUIT. YOU WILL FREAKIN DIE WITH THAT DISCIPLINE"

Sends chills down my spine everytime I see it

Quote Originally Posted by sbombard15 View Post
    Guns Up!(my favorite book) is probably what had motivated me the most followed by Platoon. After reading the book I started doing some research on the Vietnam War and my interest in the military grew because of that.

Band of Brothers played a big part too in me wanting to serve. Seeing how close those men were and the camaraderie they shared made me want that.

I know I'm not a guy but I will answer anyway. For me I grew up in an Air Force family and live about 15 min away from the Air Force academy, so it was always a family goal for me to go there. When I was in 6th grade the documentary mini-series Making Marines came out. At that point I realized I wanted to be a Marine. Several years later I decided I wanted to be a Navy pilot. Then one of my best friends enlisted in the Marine Corps and as he was giving me a ride home he took me too his recruiter. After some talking with him I realized I still wanted to be a Marine. So here I am ready to take on the challenge and serve the best damn country in the world.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Gonzo4, of course this question was ment for you as well. There are no shades of green.

Sorry about the heading, I knew when I did it I'd be in trouble,,,,,,,But I figured you all wouldn't be thin skinned.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    Glad to see you are all looking at yourselves. Nothing means nothing till it means something to you.
    Personally, my motovation was Mommie,,,,,, That was to me the American dream. I would give myself many times over for for that dream to keep. Not just my mommie, but yours too.
    Thank you for everything you did Sgt. I cant wait to pay back the favor.

Thread Information