Food/Diet advice - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    o really? i had no idea i thought the colder the more harder you had to work to get a sweat, i know its hard to breath when its cold lol thanks for stopping by Marine

Credits
    Savings
    ... are you even reading any of this advice or are you simply texting, I mean posting?

Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    whenever you get the chance go sit in a sauna with a sweat suit and a rain suit on. make sure you drink alot of water though because you will get dehydrated. just make sure you are excersizing alot and dont eat fatty, fast food stuff.

Credits
    Savings
    i have read every single post and even visited the link LASWMarine has given

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by avenger08 View Post
    whenever you get the chance go sit in a sauna with a sweat suit and a rain suit on. make sure you drink alot of water though because you will get dehydrated. just make sure you are excersizing alot and dont eat fatty, fast food stuff.
    yea i was told NOT to do that until i get down below 222 cause i could do some harm to myself but once i get to my goal weight i will start hitting the sauna along with buying a sweat suit

Quote Originally Posted by Jlg View Post
    Hello Marines i am currently a fatbody wanting to join the Marines but of course my weight is this big issue. I turned 19 6 days ago, i weigh 295+ , and my height is about 5'11 maybe taller. I have lost 14 pound's just from doing my daily exercises and drinking water but i feel that i am not loosing weight fast enough, i work most of the day so i do not get much time to eat which lead's to me getting fast food because i am either to tired to cook or it's to late to prepare any kind of meal. So my question is..... .........what can i eat?...what kind of foods are good ? what kind of foods are bad? and what is healthy for a good snack?

also! my target weight is 222 or lower for MEPS..... ANY advice will be greatly appreciated and thank you Marines for you'r time
    Back in 1994 I had a stroke and was pretty much off my feet or re-learning to walk for a couple years. I put on a lot of weight because I stopped exercising but continued to eat the same amount of food.

Here is what I did:

1) I bought a scale, a calorie counter computer program that also had an exercise function, so I could count both calories eaten, and calories burned exercising, and a kitchen-type scale and some measuring cups/spoons, so I could accurately calculate my serving sizes. Also, I bought a tailor's cloth measure, so I could accurately measure waist, neck, etc... you need that to calculate BMI.

2) I set a 1200 calorie limit at first, but later, when I was burning a lot of calories walking, I would reward myself with more food, but would stop before I canceled out all the calories I burned walking. If I wanted desert, I had to go walk another 3 miles before I could have the desert. When it came down to walking more or eating less... I had a choice.

3) I started exercising with just walking. I did not want to risk muscle strains or injury, and I knew that I was moving a lot of fat, with not enough muscle. Injury avoidance is a big deal. If you hurt yourself, you can't exercise until the injury heals, so you lose most or all of your gains (losses, in this case).

4) I bought rain gear and cold weather gear (I live in Chicago), and walked "as fast as I could, and as far as I could" as often as I could... just about every day. When I was doing 10 miles a day, I set that as a general limit, but on some days (weekends) when it was nice, I would do 15 or even 20 miles.

5) When I got my weight down to 185, I started exercising... calisthenics.

6) When I reached 175, I started running.

7) When I reached 165, I started free weights.

Now I run seven miles a day, and do about 45 minutes of calisthenics and free weights, Monday through Friday, and slack off on the weekend.

I noticed that my weight loss was not straight-line... I would sometimes not lose any weight for weeks, then drop several pounds all at once.

Two things are happening at once. a) you lose fat by burning it off as calories, and b), you lose fat when your body uses it to create new muscle, that the walking and exercise demand, for the increased workload.

I noticed that when I was really heavy, it was not too hard to lose weight, but the closer I got to my ideal weight, the harder and harder it was, to lose even one lb. Of course, the lighter I became, the less mass I was moving, so I was burning fewer calories per mile.

I think that it takes at least three years to really change your habits, where diet and exercise are concerned, to make the new way a 'lifetime habit'... maybe even longer. I quit smoking too, and it took about three years for the tobacco craving to finally go away.

Good luck to you. Stay motivated. Save one pair of 'fat pants', just so you can look at them a few years later, and see how far you've come.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingMan View Post
    Back in 1994 I had a stroke and was pretty much off my feet or re-learning to walk for a couple years. I put on a lot of weight because I stopped exercising but continued to eat the same amount of food.

Here is what I did:

1) I bought a scale, a calorie counter computer program that also had an exercise function, so I could count both calories eaten, and calories burned exercising, and a kitchen-type scale and some measuring cups/spoons, so I could accurately calculate my serving sizes. Also, I bought a tailor's cloth measure, so I could accurately measure waist, neck, etc... you need that to calculate BMI.

2) I set a 1200 calorie limit at first, but later, when I was burning a lot of calories walking, I would reward myself with more food, but would stop before I canceled out all the calories I burned walking. If I wanted desert, I had to go walk another 3 miles before I could have the desert. When it came down to walking more or eating less... I had a choice.

3) I started exercising with just walking. I did not want to risk muscle strains or injury, and I knew that I was moving a lot of fat, with not enough muscle. Injury avoidance is a big deal. If you hurt yourself, you can't exercise until the injury heals, so you lose most or all of your gains (losses, in this case).

4) I bought rain gear and cold weather gear (I live in Chicago), and walked "as fast as I could, and as far as I could" as often as I could... just about every day. When I was doing 10 miles a day, I set that as a general limit, but on some days (weekends) when it was nice, I would do 15 or even 20 miles.

5) When I got my weight down to 185, I started exercising... calisthenics.

6) When I reached 175, I started running.

7) When I reached 165, I started free weights.

Now I run seven miles a day, and do about 45 minutes of calisthenics and free weights, Monday through Friday, and slack off on the weekend.

I noticed that my weight loss was not straight-line... I would sometimes not lose any weight for weeks, then drop several pounds all at once.

Two things are happening at once. a) you lose fat by burning it off as calories, and b), you lose fat when your body uses it to create new muscle, that the walking and exercise demand, for the increased workload.

I noticed that when I was really heavy, it was not too hard to lose weight, but the closer I got to my ideal weight, the harder and harder it was, to lose even one lb. Of course, the lighter I became, the less mass I was moving, so I was burning fewer calories per mile.

I think that it takes at least three years to really change your habits, where diet and exercise are concerned, to make the new way a 'lifetime habit'... maybe even longer. I quit smoking too, and it took about three years for the tobacco craving to finally go away.

Good luck to you. Stay motivated. Save one pair of 'fat pants', just so you can look at them a few years later, and see how far you've come.
    Thank you so much Marine for stopping by and sharing your story, very motivational and you are correct when you say the closer to your weight goal the harder it is to shed the pounds. my biggest worry is muscle strain/injury i am trying really hard to protect my knees and other joints, me being so heavy it really puts stress on almost everything in my body so i bought me some running shoes and walked about 3 miles today at a steady but not so fast pace and i was actually feeling good.luckily i don't smoke or drink so i am good on that part, i am just a food addict lol

Credits
    Savings
    Looks like this should be the end of the thread.

The remaining would be for post builders.

IMHO.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Looks like this should be the end of the thread.

The remaining would be for post builders.
    Wheres Petz?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    Wheres Petz?
    Chuck, you are bad to the bone. .

Thread Information