Lat Move to Ordinance? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Petz View Post
    yeah, but they don't really have a door gunner on Marine-1. Crew Chief, go Crew Chief!! Besides, I was never talking about door gunners. Never heard the term before, SSgt Adam Petzold.

commdog, if you go EOD and for some reason flunk the school you become an ammo tech, you will count ammo for ever.

if you have the option to go officer then I say give EOD a shot then after you get your bonus (you'll need to do the 4 years to be able to keep the money) then you should be a SSgt (it's still pay-wise a good call going officer up through 12 year gunny) and can apply for being an officer)

Good luck, let us know what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by commdog7
    I'm leaning towards crew chief right now.
    Quit leaning, GO FOR IT!!

I hear the school is amost a year long for crew chief, the war will be over by the time I make it to the fleet! There's no fun in being a door gunner if there ain't any terrorist shoot....

and that's all she wrote.

so CD, what's your thoughts leaning towards.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by commdog7 View Post
    I hear the school is amost a year long for crew chief, the war will be over by the time I make it to the fleet! There's no fun in being a door gunner if there ain't any terrorist shoot....
    There will never be peace.

There will always be terrorists.

There will always be war.

Go Crew Chief!!

Al, has a point CD, historically there's conflict every 10 years. How much of that a door gunner will see... and since you're getting up there in rank and will become a universal shop chief or something of that nature in the next 10 years; well you can make your call, you're a grown woman. I feel you've been "informed" enough by anyone here.

I hope people don't think this is a criticism, that would ruin my day!

Don't forget Iran, N.Korea, Africa, I doubt we will be out of Afganistan in the next year, who knows maybe another surge to boost Allahbamas ratings? I would be watching Iran closely, Ireal is chomping at the bit, and Iran is already surrounded by us.

Forgot to add Pakistan too...

i dont see us out of fighting stance for at least 10 years

I'm still leaning towards crew chief. I'm just looking for a way to deploy to Afghanistan before I start with the school. That's where the fighting is right now, if I go straight into crew chief, it will take me at least 2 years to get over there. By that time either the war will be over or there will be very little fighting left (like Iraq is now). I'm currently on an extension to finish MSG. Maybe I should hold off re-enlisting until I get to Afghanistan, then I can lat move to crew chief... but then I might have to extend again just to go there, which I don't know if that's possible.... I'm in a pickle.

Once I make it to crew chief, then I will concern myself with the future wars.

Credits
    Savings
    I'm still leaning towards crew chief. I'm just looking for a way to deploy to Afghanistan before I start with the school. That's where the fighting is right now, if I go straight into crew chief, it will take me at least 2 years to get over there. By that time either the war will be over or there will be very little fighting left (like Iraq is now). I'm currently on an extension to finish MSG. Maybe I should hold off re-enlisting until I get to Afghanistan, then I can lat move to crew chief... but then I might have to extend again just to go there, which I don't know if that's possible.... I'm in a pickle.

Once I make it to crew chief, then I will concern myself with the future wars.
    There you have it. Done deal.

just so you know, you can only extend so much. Though there are reasons for extensions that will allow you to extend more, I'd say extending to see what boat spaces are available for you next october is do-able. but anything to allow you to goto the stan probably isn't.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Commdog, you don't really need a certain MOS to make you truly happy. All you want is the chance to crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Right?

Two of my uncles were Navy EOD Techs and still work in the EOD field since they've retired and absolutely love what they do. Going Crew Chief I'm guessing you would have to attend the Naval Aircrew School in P-Cola (right? i could be wrong, idk for sure) and they do some intense PT, I've seen both booters and Fleet Sailors and Marines get dropped from it for injuries and not being able to hang with the PT. I know some Sailors get to go back to their ship/squadron and booters have to pick a new Rate. Not sure what would happen with a Fleet Marine, I'd imagine it'd be similar with being sent back to your unit.

since we're over booked and boat spaces are few, I'd say the rumors of you getting your DD-214 are true.

Thank you for trying, please come again.

Ignorance

Look man, there is an UNBELIEVABLE amount of bum scoop being passed here, if you have serious questions about EOD just shoot me a PM and i will answer them directly. but.... and i mean this S&!T dont even bring up the money, because your spirits will be crushed if thats the base for your decision. oh and FYI we dont have the life expectancy of a "vietnam operator" or any of that ignorant crap, it is a VERY diverse field. we do do everything from nukes and bio chem to air ordnance (yes your all spelling it wrong) to IED's and ejection seats. so dont get wrapped around the axel on the war goin on right now, that is only what everyone sees. they dont see us in suits with the secret service details, but we are their. or on the ground with MARSOC, but we are there.

Quote Originally Posted by jstkiknit View Post
    Look man, there is an UNBELIEVABLE amount of bum scoop being passed here, if you have serious questions about EOD just shoot me a PM and i will answer them directly. but.... and i mean this S&!T dont even bring up the money, because your spirits will be crushed if thats the base for your decision. oh and FYI we dont have the life expectancy of a "vietnam operator" or any of that ignorant crap, it is a VERY diverse field. we do do everything from nukes and bio chem to air ordnance (yes your all spelling it wrong) to IED's and ejection seats. so dont get wrapped around the axel on the war goin on right now, that is only what everyone sees. they dont see us in suits with the secret service details, but we are their. or on the ground with MARSOC, but we are there.
    Man? I got balls, but no penis....

I seriously considered EOD before the high bonuses came out. I like things that go boom, that's why I'm looking into the ordnance field. Is the bonus a factor in my decision? Of course it is, but it is a small factor. That's why I'm considering aviation ordnance as well, even though it has a bonus of 13k compared to the 90k EOD bonus.

What I'm mostly looking for is job satisfaction. Will I like being EOD? I'm afraid it's going to be one of those mos's where it's nothing but training and inventories, and if I'm luckly, maybe I'll see a real bomb before my contract is up. I don't want an mos that's nothing but "training", I want to further the mission. I want to deploy, I want to be in the fight, and I want to do something productive. And by the way, I'm a radio operator- so that whole life expectancy thing doesn't scare me one bit.

But if you would like to enhance my knowledge on EOD so that I may make a more informed decision, then I would appreciate your help. I know the job description, but what is the actual mos like? What is the lifestyle like? How much of it is training vs actual? Is it as high speed as it's made out to be, or does it suck?

Thanks.

Thread Information