If found one Iraqi casualty has chance for reconstructive surgery
Create Post

Cool If found one Iraqi casualty has chance for reconstructive surgery

If found one Iraqi casualty has chance for reconstructive surgery
    Submitted by: MCAGCC
    Story Identification Number: 20038811911
    Story by Cpl. Itzak Lefler

MARINE COPRS AIR GROUND COMBAT CENTER, Calif.(August 6, 2003) -- If located, one Iraqi child who was injured during Operation Iraqi Freedom may be given a second chance at life.

On the night of April 4, heave-fire was exchanged outside Baghdad, Iraq. That same night some Iraqis were caught in the crossfire, and one unidentified child survived a massive facial injury.

The next day, 3rd Battalion 4th Marines, 7th Marines, was tasked to clear the road and unexpectedly met the child's family along the way, according to Maj. Matt Baker, Battalion Executive Officer, 3/4. A Forward-Aid Station from 3/4 was notified of the injuries, and Doc Drummond and several other corpsmen moved to the site.

"We were called back from the forward-aid station and went to India Company's position. A corpsman came over and told us there was a child who was shot in the face. We cleaned the wound and started an [intravenous] in his foot since his shoulder also had a gunshot in it and he wouldn't stop flailing. His brother, who looked about 16, spoke some English and helped translate to his brother that the bandage on his face was for his own good," said Drummond. "I made the decision that it would be best to evacuate him to a U.S. facility, so we called for medical evacuation by a helo, which was tough at the time."

According to Drummond, a gunshot had torn open the child's face, leaving an open wound to his nasal cavity between his eyes and mouth. The child also sustained a gunshot to his right shoulder.

"He was missing a major part of the upper palette of his mouth. He still had an airway, but his eyes looked swollen, and he was so hysterical that we had to calm him down," said Drummond.

After a while, Drummond left Hospitalman 3rd Class James Petersohn, 3/4, behind to take care of the young child while Drummond went back with the other corpsmen to the fight. Petersohn watched over the child and his brother for about 45 minutes until he heard several helicopters, which he tried to get their attention to pick up the child.

"He was pretty calm later on and was talking to his brother and his uncle for translation. Most of the injured Iraqis were pretty calm for being wounded," said Petersohn. "Then I was hearing helo shots like something was tearing something up, so I flagged one of those helos down. After the third time I told Lance Cpl. Olsen to pop a smoke grenade. It caught their attention, and the helo came down low while I pulled the patient out, talked to the pilot, and put the boy on a stretcher. After that I'm not sure where the boy went, and I haven?t heard about him since then."

According to Maj. Andrew Petrucci, assistant operations officer, 7th Marines, it was the command and control UH-1N Huey for 7th Marines that picked up the injured child and took him to the nearest unit. The closest unit to them was HMM-346, a Marine Corps medium life helicopter squadron.

"We saw red smoke and realized there was an emergency on the ground," said Petrucci. "We loaded the wounded boy and the adult with him aboard the Huey and called for routing to the nearest surgical company. We didn't have enough fuel aboard at the time so we flew where we knew the Purple Foxes were and transferred the boy to one of their helos. The Purple Foxes are the CH-46s of HMM-346 that were providing dedicated casualty evacuation support for 7th Marines. The Purple Foxes then evacuated the injured boy to the nearest surgical company."

A press release from the Kuwait News Agency describes a five-year-old child fitting the description, who was admitted to the Ibn Sina Hospital, Kuwait, a day after the incidents. The city where the boy was picked up is not known, but sources say the area is located around Highway 6 outside the Baghdad.

At the time, a crew from the National Geographic Ultimate Exploxer television series was in Iraq filming "Baghdad Bound: Devil Dog Diaries," a segment that first aired on MSNBC in May. The program showed the injured Iraqi child being evacuated by Marines from 3/4. After seeing the show, many people called in wondering what had become of the child. One such call came from Dr. Daniel F. Haynes, associate professor and director of division of plastic and reconstructive surgery, Johnson City Medical Center Hospital in Tennessee.

"When I saw this child on UL [Ultimate Explorer], I saw this bandaged child and thought, 'I could help this kid,'" said Haynes. "We'll take care of him as long as necessary. He's 5-years-old, a noncombatant, and was just caught in the crossfire; I think we should make it right for him."

Now Haynes and the hospital are attempting to find the child. Surgeons there have volunteered their services to conduct reconstructive surgery for the boy, free of charge.

"The hospital has agreed to pick up the charge of his care and everyone here has volunteered to help," said Haynes. "We just want to try to give his life back."

Possible sources that might lead to him include the Ibn Sina Hospital in Kuwait, or any Marine Corps Arabic linguist that was there at the time. The Public Affairs Office here is assisting in the search.

"I just hope they'll find him and give him some care," said Drummond.

Editor's note: Your assistance is needed in locating this child. If you know of his identity or current whereabouts, please contact the Public Affairs Office at 760-830-6213/ 5476.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image...hildlowres.jpg

A day after the incident, Hospitalman 3rd Class Joseph Reyes, 3rd Battalion 4th Marines (right), and Hospitalman 3rd Class Phillip Alexian, 3/4, give immediate care to an unidentified 5-year-old Iraqi child April 5 who apparently received a gunshot wound from crossfire according to the corpsmen.
    Photo by: Couresty National Geographic Television and Film

Sempers,

Roger

Great story Drifter!

Thread Information