Hey is there a LAW..
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey is there a LAW..

First off hey Marines, thanks ahead for the responces. O.k so my mother said she was going to call my recruiter and tell him i'm the only son this and that and she went on about some law she thought existed. Basically My moms does NOT want me to go to war or the USMC for that matter, I myself will do as much as i can to serve my country. My question to you is this if my mother calls my recruiter and gives him some speach about the "only son law" will my this effect me? I mean will my recruiter toss me out of the DEP program because of her? 2nd Question is this even a real LAW "you cant send the only son to war" I just want to make sure there is NOTHING my mother can do to ruin my career as a United States Marine.

Thanks ahead Marines.

p.s My mother isn't understanding about me going which sucks but oh well.

That only pertains to a draft. Your mother can't stop you from volunteering.

Question: Can "Only Sons" go to war?
    Answer: There is an old legend that claims, if all of the male children of a family are in service and all but one of them dies in service regardless of cause, the survivor will either A) Be transferred out of the war zone to "safe" duties in the United States; or B) The sole survivor will be granted an immediate compassionate discharge because he is "the last of his line."
    Not quite.
    Federal law allows a "peacetime" draft exception for individuals who have had an immediate family member (father, mother, brother, or sister) die or become 100 percent disabled as a result of military service. Note the law does not require the person to be the "last" in their line. This exemption only applies to peacetime (and we don't have a peacetime draft right now, anyway), and not to periods of war or national emergency declared by Congress.
    Additionally, the Department of Defense does allow a military member who has an immediate family member who dies on active duty, or becomes 100 percent disabled, or becomes a POW, to request a voluntary discharge. Again, note that the member doesn't have to be the "sole survivor." This program is also not applicable during times of war or national emergency declared by Congress. Also note it's a voluntary program. The military member must apply for it. A military member who enlists or re-enlists after being notified of the death/disability (due to military service) of their immediate family member is considered to have waived their status under this program. Finally, each of the services have regulations which exempt "surviving sons/daughters" from serving in combat zones. Again, the program is voluntary, and again, they must have an immediate family member who has died on active duty, 100 percent service-connected disabled, or in POW status. Simply being the "last in the line" doesn't count.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theor.../f/faqsole.htm

Thank you so much Marine! It really had me going thinking my mother was gunna get me just like that, i appreciate everything!

Have you tried sitting down with your mom and explain to her your reasons for wanting to be a Marine? Try and make her understand from your point in a respectful way, but also listen to what she has to say, also being respectful of what she has to say. She's your mom and she's only worried about you.

Quote Originally Posted by LASWMarine View Post
    Have you tried sitting down with your mom and explain to her your reasons for wanting to be a Marine? Try and make her understand from your point in a respectful way, but also listen to what she has to say, also being respectful of what she has to say. She's your mom and she's only worried about you.
    Ditto.. Great advice LASW.. Communication is the best way to get past concerns and objections.. Sit down and talk with Mom about her concerns and why you joined... Set her up to meet with you and the Recruiter... S/F

she can call your recruiter and tell him you p!ss the bed every night.

but seriously, sit down and tell her why you're doing this. i bet you that she'll be in tears come graduation (assuming you make it)

Thanks Marines for the advice. Man i've tried and tried to explain the USMC and why i feel it's important for me to do what i feel BUT my family isn't a red white and blue type...I'm really the first to feel like i bleed the American flag, I don't know where i got it from but Maby as time goes by they will accept what i've chosen for myself. AGAIN thanks alot Marines!

Thumbs up Only Son

I am an only son,, And a Marine Corps Viet Nam Vet... There is no law preventing you from joining,,, Semper Fi

you are already in the DEP correct? you are still a minor correct? didnt she already sign the paperwork?

i was never in the DEP so i have no idea how it works

Quote Originally Posted by GREY MATTER View Post
    you are already in the DEP correct? you are still a minor correct? didnt she already sign the paperwork?

i was never in the DEP so i have no idea how it works
    His profile says he's 19.

If you are not 18 your Mom could very well keep you from going in, as a matter of fact you actually need her signature to join.
    There is no such "law" about the only son thing, There was an endeavor during WWII to get men who were the last in their blood line to carry on their families name out of combat, but that was a campaign started up by the Brass during WWII when more people were being killed in one day than the entire Iraqi campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Trucrimsongold View Post
    If you are not 18 your Mom could very well keep you from going in, as a matter of fact you actually need her signature to join.
    His profile says he's 19!

I think your mom watched 'saving private ryan' one too many times.

as it was said, during a draft the only child cannot be in combat, but does not prevent him/her from serving.

but it's old and crusty and doesn't apply to the all volunteer military as was said earlier.

I'm basically condensing a few posts here.

my parents didn't like me joining, but once they saw me graduate they couldn't have been any prouder.

my brother graduated AF basic training before me and my parents said the Marines don't half ass anything, they have never seen anything so well coordinated before. Every time they get a new vehicle they are asking me for more 'proud parent of' stickers for the window.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy90 View Post
    Thanks Marines for the advice. Man i've tried and tried to explain the USMC and why i feel it's important for me to do what i feel BUT my family isn't a red white and blue type...I'm really the first to feel like i bleed the American flag, I don't know where i got it from but Maby as time goes by they will accept what i've chosen for myself. AGAIN thanks alot Marines!
    You are 19 years old and the law says you are old enough to make yourown decisions.

Just remember that Mothers are Mothers and worry about their children. Do not blame her for being worried about your well being, after all, she changed a lot of your dirty pampers and has raised you up until now.

Give you Mom some slack and never stop loving her.

Thread Information