Armstrong Pull Up Program - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Well, funny you post this. I was scheduling myself to launch an increased training set as of today, but I'm out of commission until my left shoulder decides it doesn't want to clusterfcuk anymore. I was disappointed that I wasn't able to do yesterday's, and today's as well. I'd started yesterday's regimen as normal, but I noticed that with the increasing repetitions of the pyramid cycle, after I dismounted the bar I'd end up grabbing my shoulder and wincing in pain every time - so I stopped and took some ibuprofen. Trying not to aggravate it. My training set is 4

Wait, what? Training sets? Maybe I am failing to see results becuase I am not following instructions? Help me out here, this is what I do.

Day 1.
    Max, rest 90
    Max, rest 90
    Max, rest 90
    Max, rest 90
    Max

Day 2
    1 rest 60
    2 rest 60
    3 rest 60
    4 rest 60
    3 rest 60
    2 rest 60

Day 3
    Max, rest 60
    pinkies together max, rest 60
    Max, rest 60
    Max, rest 60

Day 4
    Same as day 1

Day 5
    same as day 2

Help a fellow poolee out, is this not right?

Also, ALL pullups are with palms facing in.

Quote Originally Posted by Endurance89 View Post
    Wait, what? Training sets? Maybe I am failing to see results becuase I am not following instructions? Help me out here, this is what I do.
    Yes you are correct; you did not follow instructions. Reread the first post and all of your questions will be answered.

Quote Originally Posted by HookNLadder View Post
    Yes you are correct; you did not follow instructions. Reread the first post and all of your questions will be answered.
    Ya confirmed my worst fear, there, mate. :/

I reread that first post, I am going to be frank, I am still failing to comprehend. I would appreciate a break down, perhaps word for word what you do on each day?

Any help is greatly appreciated and won't be soon forgot. =)

I just attempted to make out exactly what it is asking for.

Days 1 an 2 I seem to have gotten right. Day 3 looks like it really should be:

(if 3 is my number of reps)

3 sets of 3 overhand, resting 60 each time.

Then, 3 sets of 3 pinkies together, resting 60.

So, then, day 4 would be

(if 3 reps per ser)

as many sets of 3 as I can possibly do with 60 seconds in between?

If that is the case, then I am not to far off what I should be doing at it will be easy to fix.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I see so many cases of fail that I'm just going to go ahead and lay this ALL out for you.

Day 1 - 5 Maximum effort sets.

Rest 90 seconds between each set.

1st maximum effort set - rest 90 seconds
    2nd maximum effort set - rest 90 seconds
    3rd maximum effort set - rest 90 seconds
    4th maximum effort set - rest 90 seconds
    5th maximum effort set

Day 2 - Pyramid Day.

Rest 10 SECONDS for EACH repetition in the previous set.

1 pull up - rest 10 seconds.
    2 pull ups - rest 20 seconds
    3 pull ups - rest 30 seconds and so on until you fail to exceed, by 1, the previous set's repetitions.

Rest for 10 seconds for each repetition completed in the previous set. Then pull out one more maximum effort set Day 2 is now done.

Day 3 - Utilizing overhand as well as underhand grip

1st training set using normal overhand grip - rest 60 seconds
    2nd training set using normal overhand grip - rest 60 seconds
    3rd training set using normal overhand grip - rest 60 seconds.

Switch your grip to as where your palms are toward your face and your pinkys are touching each other.

1st training set - rest 60 seconds
    2nd training set - rest 60 seconds
    3rd training set - rest 60 seconds

(On this day, I usually go on to pull out three more training sets using normal overhand grip)

Day 4 - Do as many correctly executed training sets possible

1st training set - rest 60 seconds
    2nd training set - rest 60 seconds
    3rd training set - rest 60 seconds
    4th training set - rest 60 seconds and so on..

Day 5 - Repeat the day you found to be the hardest of the previous 4 days.

Self explanatory, no shortcuts.

Quote Originally Posted by thekevo View Post
    I see so many cases of fail that I'm just going to go ahead and lay this ALL out for you.

Thanks so much man.

Credits
    Savings
    I dont know about this exact workout, but I do alot of push ups a day..and once or twice a week I hit the pull up bar. And this what happened:

I DEP'd in Sept. 1.....We had an IST 5 days later...I did 6 pull ups..(i usually do 8). Next IST 1 month later, I did 9. And just yesterday I did 11! My most ever. Those pushups are paying off. Then I did another set of 10. Just do alot of pushups all times of the day if you cant get to a bar.

Quote Originally Posted by LJ27 View Post
    I dont know about this exact workout, but I do alot of push ups a day..and once or twice a week I hit the pull up bar. And this what happened:

I DEP'd in Sept. 1.....We had an IST 5 days later...I did 6 pull ups..(i usually do 8). Next IST 1 month later, I did 9. And just yesterday I did 11! My most ever. Those pushups are paying off. Then I did another set of 10. Just do alot of pushups all times of the day if you cant get to a bar.
    thats what i try to tell people keep it simple but consistent..and good job man your on your way

Quote Originally Posted by LJ27 View Post

More than likely what happened was that due to the decreased frequency of pullup workouts, your muscles were more recovered and received a better workout when you hit it. Pushups work completely different muscles and aren't responsible for your progress.

Credits
    Savings
    I dont know bro ^^^. I only do pull ups on our PT days (tues & thurs) and I do push ups every day because I dont have constant access to a pull up bar. I know what youre talking about with the muscle recovery (ie: the decrease) but I think im improving pretty fast.

Either way, improvement is what's important, and you're seeing it, so congrats!

Whew, went to PT today down at the station and I got ****ing SMOKED. Went with another bud of mine, and there just happened to be 3 PFC's and a LCPL on recruiters assistance in PT gear in the back, waiting for us to show up. Singled us out and worked with us for quite some time, then ran an IST. Ended up throw up twice, but of course that didn't stop me - makes you feel like a brand new man! Haha, Good ****. Still doing good on my pull up workouts as well

Just another testimonial; Awhile back I did this Armstrong program for two months and went from 12-20 dead hangs. Unfortunately back down to 12.... lost access to a pull-up bar for quite awhile.

Update: five weeks ago I was doing 7 chin ups now I am doing 12 pull ups. although I haven't been doing the push ups every morning and I switched from chin ups to pull ups,that probably held me back some, I am still very motivated by my progress.

whats your status?

Thread Information