Got my first pull-up today. - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Congrats man. I could only do 3 when I first started doing them. 8 months later I'm up to 16. The weighted backpack helped a lot. I alternate with pack on and off. Good luck.

This morning, I got 2. This afternoon, I got 3. Funny story, actually. I went to the gym, worked out, and then came back to the office. The Marines told me to do pull-ups so I got on the bar, dropped into the hang, and did the first one. Then I felt as if I could do one more, so I dropped back into the hang and busted out another! Everyone was like "HOLY ****!" Anyway, I chilled for a few, helped my recruiter out with some paperwork and then called the SNOIC to tell him I did 2. He was like "No ****ing way. I'm coming down right now. You better be ready." I was dead from the gym and the repeated attempts at pull-ups. The SNOIC came into the office and told me to get on his bar. I got on, did 1, did 2, then just as I was about to get off, I dug real deep and struggled for a 3rd one. I didn't even know I had that in me. Now I gotta get out of the "at-risk pool" on Saturday and prove to SgtMjr that I'm good enough for his Marine Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by coolfir3pwnz View Post
    This morning, I got 2. This afternoon, I got 3. Funny story, actually. I went to the gym, worked out, and then came back to the office. The Marines told me to do pull-ups so I got on the bar, dropped into the hang, and did the first one. Then I felt as if I could do one more, so I dropped back into the hang and busted out another! Everyone was like "HOLY ****!" Anyway, I chilled for a few, helped my recruiter out with some paperwork and then called the SNOIC to tell him I did 2. He was like "No ****ing way. I'm coming down right now. You better be ready." I was dead from the gym and the repeated attempts at pull-ups. The SNOIC came into the office and told me to get on his bar. I got on, did 1, did 2, then just as I was about to get off, I dug real deep and struggled for a 3rd one. I didn't even know I had that in me. Now I gotta get out of the "at-risk pool" on Saturday and prove to SgtMjr that I'm good enough for his Marine Corps.
    That's friggin awesome. This day that you did your maximum reps several times during one day will definitely help you increase your overall reps very quickly. If you do that routine consistantly you will go from 3 max to 6 max in about 5-10 days. That the exact way to increase max pullups. Jump on the bar, dig deep and do your max, rest for a while and do it again, and again. Do a minimum of 3 max rep sets and you're guaranteed to increase your max. Keep in mind that you will be sore.... The best waY to prevent soreness is to 1) stay hydrated but not immediately before the workout 2) have a small protien-filled snack before you workout and a moderate sized lean protien-filled snack/meal afterwards. Protien and water help your muscles grow and recover quicker and more effectively. Tip-if you're 150lbs, consume 150 grams of protien daily, 175 lbs=175+ grams of protien... So on and so forth. This method is proven and effective muscle building techniques using your own body weight. You don't want to consume your protien all at once. It's best to regulate your protien intake throghout the day however, you DO want to intake the vast majority of your daily recommendations right after your most intense workouts. Oh.... And stretch before and after.

Quote Originally Posted by Thisisrandy View Post
    That's friggin awesome. This day that you did your maximum reps several times during one day will definitely help you increase your overall reps very quickly. If you do that routine consistantly you will go from 3 max to 6 max in about 5-10 days. That the exact way to increase max pullups. Jump on the bar, dig deep and do your max, rest for a while and do it again, and again. Do a minimum of 3 max rep sets and you're guaranteed to increase your max. Keep in mind that you will be sore.... The best waY to prevent soreness is to 1) stay hydrated but not immediately before the workout 2) have a small protien-filled snack before you workout and a moderate sized lean protien-filled snack/meal afterwards. Protien and water help your muscles grow and recover quicker and more effectively. Tip-if you're 150lbs, consume 150 grams of protien daily, 175 lbs=175+ grams of protien... So on and so forth. This method is proven and effective muscle building techniques using your own body weight. You don't want to consume your protien all at once. It's best to regulate your protien intake throghout the day however, you DO want to intake the vast majority of your daily recommendations right after your most intense workouts. Oh.... And stretch before and after.
    Thanks dude. Yeah, I've been working out for the last 2 months. Being sore is nothing new to me. I'm ~170 and I get about 170g protein a day. I eat eggs in the morning, a protein shake in the evening with a chicken sandwich, and eggs for dinner. Parents are vegetarians, lol. My muscles were so shot this afternoon. I worked out at the gym, doing chinups, dips, bench, assisted pull-ups, etc. Went to this class that the gym offers called "Boot Camp." Basically, it's 1 hour of super-high intensity body weight exercises. Situps, pushups, side-straddle hops, etc. What doesn't kill me makes me stronger, right? lol The pull-ups only go up from here.

Thread Information