General Orders
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General Orders

General Orders

how do i go about learning them before shipping

didn't you study anything in highschool?

repeat them over and over until you remember them

yeah lol thats not what i meant. i meant a method of repetition. theres a word i learned during high school but i seemed to hav forgotten it. its like how people remember the pemdas thing. confusing yes i know....

Try writing them down over and over and over again so you can see and correct yourself.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I took two pieces of printer paper and folded them up into little rectangles and tore them apart, then made flash cards with them. Managed to get it down in an hour or two that way, can't imagine any other method would be any faster,

Just reading them in the book over and over did me absolutely no good, but the flash cards were great. If you're not a cheapskate like me you could buy actual index cards for it, i guess.

I plan on doing the flashcard method posted above. Reading them over and over in the book didnt do much for me. I need to learn them asap since I leave this comming monday. How crucial are the General Orders towards our training?

All you do is just start of by memorizing the first general order and then when you know it verbatim then move on to number two and so on that's what i did and i knew them all in no time. I thought i would never learn them because it seemed kinda hard but in the end it was really easy.

Learn by progression

Start off today. Memorize the first general order.

Tomorrow memorize the second one. and say the 1st and 2nd one in order....

Wednesday. Third one

etc.

What Capital M said is a great way, it's what I did.

I recite them by odd numbers and evens. That helps me not get them out of order.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Read it out loud and write it down.

Engage as many senses as possible. That's what my English teacher taught me my Sophomore year, and I memorized a ****load of things that year.

I would say to learn them take the index card trick - when I was at my university that was the best way to learn anything in a short amount of time. Don't take days off, make sure they keep fresh on your mind, and read them before you go to sleep because that is when your mind retains most information.

Also, I haven't tried this, but I think I will test this method. At my RS each time a poolee gets a general order wrong our SSgt makes us do 25 Marine Corps pushups. So, do it yourself with the index cards, if you miss one - drop down and knock out 25...by the end of it you will either be smart, or strong.

One thing I did was put one general order on a sticky note and put them in my car, room, bathroom, etc... I know them pretty well now. And don't stress it, they aren't that long. One thing that helps is have someone talk in your ear or actually yell at you while you recite them as you would in basic. This will help with concentration and focus.

It isn't hard to learn them. You don't even have to completely remember them, just be decently familier with them. They will drill them into you enough at bootcamp. Just be sure you know them well by atleast week 4

i really like the flash cards idea thank you. and thank all of you for the insight

Thread Information