Trimming the "fat" of the Marine Corps
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trimming the "fat" of the Marine Corps

Is anyone else having their recruiters really trying to find reasons to discharge people from the pool? Our recruiters and Marines on Recruiter's Assistance really warning all of us not to give them ANY small reason to think were not 100% with it. This due to the overpopulation of the Corps. They're being pushed to get rid of poolees due to inflation of incoming recruits.

Just a local thing or experienced by you all as well?

I know at the station here if the poolees are questioning their decision and the recruiters hear about it they are getting the ax. There are a lot of good people out there that want to get in but can't because there are kids who did it spur of the moment the screw around on when they want to leave. There just isn't the need to find recruits as there once was.

Absolutely. Same here.
    Our next Poolee function is next week on the 12th. We'll be running our IST's with 3 or 4 other stations, and they said the kids who do bad and lag are getting the axe. Our region is WAY over pooled - Atlanta, GA - that is.

Where I'm at, SE Wisconsin, our DEP Pool went from 4 people 4 months ago to over 25. I haven't heard tell of the Sergeant wanting to cut people but I only see him 3 times a week. We'll just have to make sure not to lag and keep our heads above the water.

I dont really know, we have a few poolee's who are a bit bigger which I guess includes me, but I have a good IST and quite a bit of time until I ship. I also live an hour away from the main RS so I dont go there more then once a month unless I am there and feel like stopping in.

not uncommon, same at our recruiting station. We have about 50 poolee's right now.

At our Rs if you dont make the mandatory once a month pt then you get dropped. Only excuse is a sporting event.

Poolee/DEP Free Member Hartford's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Once a month PT is very little though...

We have one a month Poolee functions and if you miss one of those you'll definitely be getting a rear end chewing but besides that PT is optional. If your IST sucks though Poolees and Recruiters will be calling you every day to come PT though. I just PT on my own most of the time though as the RSS is kind of far away.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Seeing a similar trend here in North Carolina as well.

Another thing I see bothering the recruiters, is females. For every month they have to recruit X amount of females per the amout of males recruited, and here especially, they are having trouble doing. They have male prospects left and right, but they can't get them signed because they need a female before they can put through any more males. Anybody seeing this in your neck of the woods?

Our recruiters aren't necessarily open about it like yours was, but the GySgt gave a talk about how overpopulated it was, and then this past week my SSgt told me that I will snag my 03 contract because -a lot- of people are about to drop...basically implying that some people aren't going to make the cut. The Sergeant Major the Dallas RS is going to be here again the 19th watching our entire region in the yearly function...I expect to see dead weight get cut.

Poolee/DEP Free Member Hartford's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    This is when I'm glad I'm not fat/failing the IST. One of my friends (Poolee) though really needs to kick it into high gear and lose weight as well if he wants to be able to ship out to MCRDSD.

Quote Originally Posted by MattNC View Post
    Seeing a similar trend here in North Carolina as well.

Another thing I see bothering the recruiters, is females. For every month they have to recruit X amount of females per the amout of males recruited, and here especially, they are having trouble doing. They have male prospects left and right, but they can't get them signed because they need a female before they can put through any more males. Anybody seeing this in your neck of the woods?
    I've never heard of that. My recruiter has 2 female poolees (one just left the other day for boot) and about 15-18 males so I don't know.

Hasn't this been discussed somewhere else before?

Yes the Marine Corps is looking to get rid of anyone who doesn't meet the requirements. Gets into any kind of trouble etc.

According to MSGT O'Conner the Marine Corps wasn't supposed to meet the mission of "X" (I don't remember the exact number) amount of Marines/poolees until 2011. We have surpassed it and it is only 2009, this was also told to us several months ago.

Just keep your PT up, stay out of trouble and you have no worries.

Credits
    Savings
    Funny, I just got this speech today from my new recruiter (other one got sent to Hawaii). And during his speech about how theyre gonna start dropping people, he made me squad leader. He briefly went over it but what does this entail? Im not in the best of shape myself so that kinda worries me. I just DEP'd in.

Quote Originally Posted by LJ27 View Post
    Funny, I just got this speech today from my new recruiter (other one got sent to Hawaii). And during his speech about how theyre gonna start dropping people, he made me squad leader. He briefly went over it but what does this entail? Im not in the best of shape myself so that kinda worries me. I just DEP'd in.

Ha, my recruiter is leaving for Hawaii in February.

We don't really have billet positions at our RS but I assume that he wants you to take leadership initiatives at all Pool functions and such. Just PT your heart out when you are there, and if you lose it, don't take it to heart.

Thread Information