Marine Corps Fitness Standards
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Marine Corps Fitness Standards

This is something that is always talked about back at the shop, and I think my instructor had it spot on. Marines who are overweight are always given hell. Even if they tape, and have a ridiculously low body fat percentage. For some reason, the Marine Corps wants Marines who can run 3 miles at the speed of lightning and do 20 pull ups. But if you're large and have a high muscle percentage, you just don't fit.

My question is this, what use is any of that in combat? Who here wants a guy who can run 3 miles in like 17 minutes, but can't carry you out of harms way if you become a casualty? I don't know anyone who is within weight standards that can carry me along with my gear and theirs. The average fighting load is like what, 75 pounds? I weigh 220, plus whatever the gear might be. If I get hit, and the closest guy to me happens to be that high PFT'er who weighs like 140 pounds, I'm fvkced.

Does anyone else feel this way? And is this kind of thinking out the door anytime soon? I'm trying to inspire a healthy discussion about Marine Corps fitness, not incite a riot.

This is why we now have the CFT.

I can imagine some of the scrawny guys will be dreading the CFT every year.

I like the CFT, I think it's a step in the right direction. I think if they want it to be a real COMBAT fitness test, make us wear a combat load. Yeah, it would suck, but so what, if you want an accurate assessment, then do it right.

I just don't understand why the Marine Corps wants these scrawny ass guys. Or at least that's how it seems. My max weight is 232, I weigh 223, and I'm not even that big of a guy. If I were to hit my max and they taped me, I would still pass easy. But I'd have the SgtMaj up my ass about it.

It's not that they want scrawny guys. The Marine Corps wants men that are big and have definition plus a great PFT. If you look like the cartoon poster Marine (big chin, cut, big, and mean looking) then you are the perfect image that it is looking for. However, I have seen scrawny Marines who are strong as hell as well. Don't underestimate just by the cover of the book. You very well may be surprised.

I'm one of those "scrawny" guys, 6'1", 165 and do well on both the PFT and the CFT and honestly I'd rather do the CFT over the PFT. To me the PFT is 30 minutes of suck where as the CFT is over in about 10 minutes all together. A lot of people have been saying how the CFT is going to favor the bigger guys but I have yet to see where being big or muscular has helped anyone too much on a CFT. The same principals that the PFT always enforced, cardio and a bit of strength seem to have equal value on the CFT.

I've never really seen people get too much **** for taping out, but that changes every command you go to.

Either way, I agree with you Stone. However, if you end up taping out and someone gives you ****, just wait until the CFT and when they start to give out do that moto yelling **** and embarrass them. "I know you can lift more than that, come on, blah"

Either way, thats just the way the Corps is man. Marines are all kinds of shapes and sizes. It can be hard to find one "standard" to hold them all too. Just gotta work with it. Besides, if you're not on BCP or whatever, then taping out doesn't hurt you. Who gives a **** if the SgtMaj chews you out. I know it can't be the first time, and sure won't be the last. Just agree, leave, and go about your day.

If you've seen 'Inglorious Basterds'.....

"You'll be shot for this!!!"
    "No, I won't get shot. I'll probably get my ass chewed. I've gotten my ass chewed before."

For me, the strength comes in handy for the ammo can lift. I can only do like 12 pullups but years of strength training lets me do 80+ ammo can lifts, where as alot of guys really struggle around 40. My CFT score is a 297. My PFT is a 227.

And whoever said it was right, some of the small guys are actually pretty strong. My buddy is like 5' 3" and weighs 155, and benches more than I do. Probably helps that his arms are about 8 inches shorter than mine too. He does pullups with his hands at the very end of the bar and only has to move like 5 inches to clear his chin. I hate it.

But to me to me the overall point is, the things they stress aren't really applicable in combat. You won't run 3 miles in a combat zone. And its silly because all the times we got our asses chewed after PT for "not putting out"(you know, that 10% who dogged it) and had to hear from whoever was in charge some speech about combat, when what we just did was entirely irrelevant. It's like if you wanna yell at us about our performance during PT and relate it to combat, then lets bust out the flaks and sapis with kevlars and do buddy carries.

well the good news is your averaging your CFT and PFT now... so you have like a 250ish number... good job.

When are they putting that into effect? I know they have been proposing new standards and everything for awhile. Does it start in the new Fiscal year?

Read your Maradmins. They will answer your question for you.

In general, the height/weight standards need to be revised. Due to a variety of factors, humans have grown taller and weigh more on average then in the past. Of course those who are over body fat standards should not be given a pass. Nor should those who are over the max weight and under body fat standards be harassed! I was always over my max weight of 160lbs. w/a body fat of 9% and my Top would always give me stuff! Sad to see it has only gotten worse! And since the new and 'better' CFT is here why not add a distance swim to it? That could only make it a better gauge of our fitness. After all we are amphibious.

If there was a distance swim, it just wouldn't be fair. Well, for everybody else

anyone have a listing of the current weight standards?
    im curious how close i am to my max.

im 74" 220lbs in uniform

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    When the **** has hit fan and the adrenalin is flowing, you'll be surprised what those skinny little runts can do.

The history books are replete with smaller guys hauling bigger guys to safety.

Thread Information