Wondering
Create Post

Thread: Wondering

Wondering

Our nephew was in the Marines for one hitch, I think, and then got out in '01 or '02. Was a machine gunner. So now he is talking of going back in the Navy as a corpsman. He is currently a firefighter and has been a paramedic and loved the medical field. My question is....is there a chance they will take him in since he is 31 yrs old this year? Not sure the age deal since it wasn't like that in the USMC (that would be too old) but maybe since it is for a medical spot, age doesn't matter...I know they take certain MOS in for specific reasons and have heard of drs and such going in older (they'd have ot most likely due to school!). But wondered if that works for corpsmen, too.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    One would think that age would be a simple category. One is either old enough, or too old, right? Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work that way. By federal law (10 U.S.C., 505), the minimum age for enlistment in the United States Military is 17 (with parental consent) and the maximum age is 35 (Note: Congress changed this to age 42 in 2006). However, DOD policy allows the individual services to specify the maximum age of enlistment based upon their own unique requirements. The individual services have set the following maximum ages for non-prior service enlistment:

Active Army - 42
    Army Reserves - 42
    Army National Guard - 35 (changed from 42 in 2009)
    Active Air Force - 27
    Air Force Reserve (inlcuding National Guard) - 34
    Active Navy - 34
    Naval Reserves - 39
    Active Marines - 28
    Marine Corps Reserve - 29
    Active Duty Coast Guard - Age 27. Note: up to age 32 for those selected to attend A-school directly upon enlistment (this is mostly for prior service).
    Coast Guard Reserves - Age 39.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Sent you a PM.

Wow, that was quick and very informative! Thanks so much!

Wow! it's useful information.Wonderful

Thread Information