Recruit dies during training at Parris Island
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Recruit dies during training at Parris Island

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news..._death_082109/

We all know what this means. Mothers of America are gonna lose their **** and Recruit Training will take another plunge in difficulty.

Mothers of America? That's the second time I've seen you mention them. Get over that boot camp **** man.

So you tell me what you think's going to happen then? This kid died and now his family back home is probably devastated. Even though they don't know why yet, I can bet it was from dehydration. And even if it wasn't the Corps fault, his family will want to blame someone.

Could be a number of things for his collapse, including an underliying heart condition not known about, or lied about something to the MEPS including athsma. That is why it is very imortant to disclose everything to meps, your life is dependant on them knowing. Now the Corps is in the spotlight, we will see after the results.

I agree. Unfortunately, some recruiters will tell them to hide **** and that they'll be "just fine." And even though thats how it is supposed to work, after the fact is too late. I'm not saying his family WILL make a scene, but when death happens, it's easier to try and blame somebody. It makes the pain lessen.

Uhh...yea, if one of my sons died on Paris Island I'm pretty sure I'd be all up in their asses too. But different strokes for different folks.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneTheWeak View Post
    http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news..._death_082109/

We all know what this means. Mothers of America are gonna lose their **** and Recruit Training will take another plunge in difficulty.
    there's a reason it's such a small blurb... it's happened before.

recruits do die in training... what's going to be difficult is fixing the mistake that allowed him to get in.

This is probably the 3rd death related to training that I can recall hearing about since I got in.

I bet it had something to do with an undiagnosed heart condition.

many times we assume the chest pain or shortness of breath isn't anything at all... and we don't goto a doctor. Don't stress out STW, MoA won't have anything to say here... he wasn't abused and this training has been done to countless others with no fatality.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Back in 84 our Sister Plt had one that fell out of bed that FIRST morning and hit the deck from a heart attack. Needless to say, the DI's got ALL of us out of there while they moved her body. $h!t happens.

This young man that died during his final PFT, was supposed to graduate yesterday, Aug 28th. I only know this because this young man was in my nephews platoon, and I was at Parris Island, along with a few others from my family, to see my nephew graduate.
    From what I do know, he did not die from dehydration. While I was waiting for my sister to come out of the ladies room at the Douglas Center, she overheard a lady saying that the young man had a touch of Pneumonia that wasn't quite cleared from his system.
    I do know that NCIS was there to investigate and no one should speculate about what happened to this young man without knowing the whole story behind it. What my sister heard may not even be the whole story either.
    My nephew was supposed to call home on Sunday, Aug 23rd, but their on base liberty got cut short so they could have a ceremony for the young man.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I read somewhere that the Army had a recruit die the other week too. I think he was very early in training and died during PT.

I'd bet this Marine recruit had an underlying heart condition missed at MEPS, especially if he was almost done with boot camp and died after his final PFT. A "touch" of pneumonia shouldn't be the primary cause of death, but may have been a contributing factor if present.

Every service has these kinds of deaths occur during basic training several times per year, and several times per year with people on active service as well. In 1976 or 1977 the 1st MarDiv CG died of a heart attack on his front lawn just after coming back from running five miles. He was a PT stud too.

Credits
    Savings
    While I'm sure it is tragic for this recruit's family-loss always is-what is the big deal?

Playing Marine can be a dangerous business-I doubt mistreatment was an issue here. A PFT is an individual event. It's not like he croaked at the end of the vaunted "Crucible", malnourished and fatigued..

The only potential for scandal is if it can be proven that a recruiter specifically told him to conceal a physical condition....SF

Drama queens, leave MOM outa this...

Sh*t happens, beetches -- people die everyday, it didn't say he died as a result of a beat down, it said he was doing a PFT.

So maybe he had an underlying ticker problem, maybe it was pneumonia, maybe he just died because that's the way it was supposed to be.

RIP, devil pup.

Imagine ,recruits dying @Parris Island,shocking!

Quote Originally Posted by PaidinBlood View Post
    While I'm sure it is tragic for this recruit's family-loss always is-what is the big deal?

Playing Marine can be a dangerous business-I doubt mistreatment was an issue here. A PFT is an individual event. It's not like he croaked at the end of the vaunted "Crucible", malnourished and fatigued..

The only potential for scandal is if it can be proven that a recruiter specifically told him to conceal a physical condition....SF
    Congrats on your promotion, Semper FI.

People die in training every year.
    Too bad, but it happens.

Thread Information