My son - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My son

Congratulations! I can't imagine how proud you and your wife must be! give him my best in your next letter.

Semper Fi...

Semper Fi to all, I just got a new letter yesterday! My son is depressed, he is feeling a little homesick. I keep telling him that it is going to get better and to keep his head up. He sent me his target from the 1000 inch range where they set their dope for BZO. They look good but I being a PMI can tell what he was doing wrong on the first one, and what he improved on the second and third target. He is shooting this week and today should be qual day. Can't wait to see what his score is. It won't matter, I will be proud whatever it is.
    Semper Fi

So, my son just sent another letter. He shot one point under Expert. Still a proud Dad! He said that he got ahead of himself on qual day. Pre-qual he shot expert, but I'm still proud. He says that he's jonesing for some chocolate, that he would kill for a zero candy bar. He and his platoon had to unblouse and button up because they screwed up on drill, but they are still motivated. I will keep everyone updated, Semper Fi

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Great news about your son, mynameispawpaw. It is good that you heard from him. You know there was a time when I didn't know squat about what my son was going in Boot Camp aside from my references to the training matrix. All of a sudden , as I was navigating the Parris Island MCRD website, support groups and all, I see a photograph of the young man as a Guidon during the Crucible. I guess what I am trying to say is that you might wish to visit the MCRD website and check out their images every now and then and, as your Marine Corps son advances in his career, you might be able to see his picture on the Battalion or Regimental websites.
    Pass on my best to your son.

I don't know which website to go and look at, but I will keep trying to find it. There are dozens for MCRD San Diego. Thanks

Just another update, as of this morning 10/26/09, my son is at 17 and a wake-up. He got recruiter assistant, so he will be home for a while. His MOS school is backed up till January. (His MOS school is SOI) I am proud to hear that it is backed up, that means that there are more and more devil dogs stepping up and closing with the enemy of the United States. My son has changed since he has been in boot camp. I can tell a difference in his writing. He has grown up a lot. Before, when he got there he was a scared kid, and now just less than 3 months later he sounds like a man that is taking responsibility. I can't wait to see him, he graduates on Nov. 13th and we are flying out on the 11th to be there for it. My parents couldn't be there for my graduation due to health issues and such, but I assured my son that it didn't matter if I was on my death bed, I would be there for his graduation. I know what it means. It was by far the most important day of my life up to that point, and I know that it will be for him also. Semper Fi

that's freaking awesome. You going to be at the ball in your area? most are going on around the 7th, so you have time to buy a ticket and recover afterwards. contact your local reserve units or recruiting office.

What a lucky devil, getting the birthday during Marine Week. I hope his DI's let him in on some of the fun. It's good to hear the school isn't as backed up as last year. I graduated about a month before your son is scheduled to, and the grunts in my boot camp platoon didn't pick up until January. What's this week again? Test week?

This week should be PT and then the crucible? I don't know, a lot has changed since I went through LOL. When I went through, we had PT all the time and then we had Mount Mother-F*****. Then we came back home for the last month, mess and maintenance. I don't know what I'm gonna do for Marine Corps birthday, I know that I'm driving to Oklahoma on the 10th to fly out of, (don't know why, but it's cheaper to fly out of there than Dallas, when the flight goes to Dallas then on to San Diego). I'm a little broke after making reservations for me, my wife and other son, plus rooms and rental car. I'll probably just sip a bit on my bottle of Crown Reserve that I have for special occasions and toast those that have come before and those that will become Marines in the future. Semper Fi Devil Dogs

PawPaw...I get lost in your emotions toward your young soon-to-be devil dog. I appreciate you sharing a father's pride with such naked sentiment. I think you should print these posts and mail them to him at some point down the road. I always new my old man was proud of me, but he never was the type to share/say it. Believe me when I say that a child realizes every lost opportunity to show unabashed love and pride by the parent.

Congrats to you and your wife. I wish many more years of pride in your son, both in and out of the Corps.

Semper Fi, and thank you for sharing your personal feelings during your son's boot camp progression.

15 and a wake-up!!! I got a phone call last night! His platoon took final drill and he said that he has the crucible next week. He is stoked! In just a few days I will be flying out to see him and see the change in my son. His mother and I can't wait to be there. Semper Fi.

Crucible week. I just found his picture on devildogs.org. AWESOME! I had to watch the video 3 times to pick him out. He has changed so much, gone is the wiry kid that I sent out west, in his place stands a man. In less than 2 weeks I will meet my new Marine. I just hope that he hasn't lost his sense of humor. Semper Fi

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    awesome pawpaw!...just plain awesome. I find it pretty unique that he will be earning his title right at our birthday time. Wish him luck for me through the next week.

rrraah!

pawpaw, Reading your posts on your son brought a tear to my old eyes. I'm nearly as proud as you are Give hei a bigh Semper Fi from all of us.

PawPaw,
    My son also graduates this month on the 20th but on the other coast, he is at Parris Island. We have recruited 20 family and close freinds to take to his day. He has no clue that we are bringing so many it will be great. Congrats to you and your son next friday, enjoy the day its once in a lifetime. Semper Fi Devil Dad

Thread Information