Active-Reserves
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Active-Reserves

Active-Reserves

So I might do the Active Reserves at my unit when I leave here, instead of finding a job out in the 1st Civ Div. I have a few questions regarding the AR for BAH, BAS, ability to still apply for Active Duty, and a few other information you think would be helpful.

Thanks.

Oh yea, I would be unmarried and living with my friend, if that will help for the BAH question.

huh, are you a reservist?

Right now yes.

it's kinda hard to augment to AR unless you talk to the monitor about it prior to you finishing school.

basically it's active duty at a reserve center and you'll never leave out of the reserve centers unless you go on deployment.

in many cases you get to goto some neat places, but others... you're just stuck.

promotion is slow so you might get booted for not getting promoted... so make sure you focus real hard on PT and rifle range and other such stuff...

Reservists/I&I Go to the rifle range?

yes... they do it on a drill weekend.

the month prior is grass 'half a day' and the next weekend is the range... reservists don't have to go but once every two years.

I&I go when other units near them go for the full course... they are active duty and are required to go once a year...

AR is like a permanant I&I staff unless they are transfered somewhere else by their monitor... I've heard of AR Marines staying in one place as junior Marines, but to keep their promotion potential going after Sgt they start moving around.

That blows, so you get active duty BS without active duty chances for promotion?

no, many many reserve stations don't need you to be sitting around all day... and if you need to take personal time and you're not a SB they tend to let you go for the rest of the day.

and if you got some cool guys you work for you can have extended lunch breaks as long as you get your work done.

it's not a bad gig... you just need to be at drill each month... but you have a short work week the following week.

you get monday off and then a 72 the following weekend.

What about I&I though? I want to go MSG>I&I and be a fleet dodger till Im a SNCO lol

I&I is similar... you just need to teach your reservists how to be real Marines on the weekends... but it's more like you get the game plan together, communicate it to the Reserve staff and then when they step on deck just watch them work and as need be, correct them.

it's pretty easy. and yes, you'll have lots of down-time.

Do most places have a BEQ or is it automatically BAH?

many of the reserve stations are coming under the BRAC (base relocation and closing) thing so much of the BEQ is shut down... so it's pretty much automatic BAH.

was told they put the Reservists in hotels who drive over 50 miles. Thats cool cause Im going to be driving 130 miles one way. Just hope I actually get to do something on the drill weekends. Maybe Ill meet Achped and he can buy me a beer.

Is your reserve station in Orlando? Tampa?

im not back in in yet, but it will be Palm Beach. Thats unless some stupid Hurricane ruins my plans.

Thread Information