Engineer receives Bronze Star with V for heroic actions
Create Post

Exclamation Engineer receives Bronze Star with V for heroic actions

CAMP HANSEN, Okinawa (August 14, 2009) -- Staff Sgt. Hector Lazo, a combat engineer with 3rd Combat Assault Battalion, 3rd Marine Division, was presented the Bronze Star with combat distinguishing device, Aug. 3.

Lazo received the award for actions performed while deployed to the Garmsir District, Helmand province, Afghanistan, with Battalion Landing Team, 1st Battalion, 6th Marines, 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit.

On May 29, 2008, while trying to seize an enemy position, Lazo manually primed mine clearance linear charges on two separate occasions.

Linear charges are normally used to clear mine fields, Lazo explained. However, that day, they were using it to clear improvised explosive devices and to breach obstacles.

As the vehicles approached the area of the 10-foot-wide road that was possibly infested with IEDs, the vehicles halted.

Lazo launched a charge in order to clear the road but ran into problems when the cable faltered. He then made his way over to the charge, about 100 yards away, and manually primed it.

"In the engineer field we have one major rule," said Lazo, an Irvington, N.J., native. "If you launch it, you prime it."

Later that day, Lazo aimed a second charge at breaking down a large wall that was blocking Marines from assaulting an enemy stronghold. This time, the cable completely snapped and landed beyond the wall of the enemies' position.

Lazo maneuvered the wall and manually primed the second charge, all while under imminent insurgent threat. With less than two minutes to get to a safe area after the charge had been primed, Lazo sprinted away from the blast zone to find cover.

The charge exploded and successfully blew a large portion of the wall away, giving the Marines an opportunity which led to the capture of the enemy stronghold.

Lazo's actions were critical to the BLT's assault to destroy the final Taliban position in Garmsir, according to the award citation.

"For me it wasn't a big deal, I was just doing my job," Lazo said. "But I am very honored to be awarded this medal."

While serving in Afghanistan, Lazo also led his Marines in providing engineer support to more than 40 projects; building fighting positions that withstood numerous enemy attacks, as well as creating a universal ammunition supply point at Forward Operating Base Dwyer.

"He is very deserving of this award," said Heidi Lazo, Lazo's wife. "I am very proud of all of his accomplishments."

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	090814-bronze.jpg‎
Views:	2148
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	7939  

Thread Information