Marrying a 17 year old? - Page 5
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Ill definetly learn how to scuba dive SSgt, I hear Japans great for that.
    But thats a curveball that I'm only going stir worry about if it comes up. If we got married then she could stay living with her parents and go to school and we'd have a great savings when I got back, with the possibility that she gets lonely or frustrated and decides to big kick left. Also if anything happens to her I'd be able to come back. On the other hand if we don't get married it could become a "I'm gone for 2 years, won't resent you if you don't wanna hang out for it" type of situation.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    "Congratulations, my boy!"

"I'm sure you'll look back and remember today as the happiest day of your life."

"But I'm not getting married until tomorrow," the earningthetitle protested.

"I know"

"That's what I mean."

I am with you Capt, he has made up his mind already.

If you guys have been together for so long and have been engaged for a year and a half why not stay engaged for a while longer? Why rush it? If you two love each other then waiting a bit longer won't hurt anything as love lasts forever.

That said, I knew my wife for about 6 months before we got married and we were the exact ages of you guys, I was 19, she was 17. I can't tell you how many people said it was a very bad idea, it wasn't going to last, etc, etc.

That was July of 1980....next July will be our 30th anniversary. So you really can't tell what will happen. I know some that dated for years and years, lived together, got married and got divorced within 5 years.

You just don't know, only God knows.

It definitely sounds like your mind is made up, and if so then congrats. There are probably plenty of Marines on here that would tell you do it, or don't do it based on personal experiences or those that they have seen be successful or unsuccessful at their relationships. I don't believe legally, you would have any issues, however, personally I would advise to wait if you were one of my Marines. I'm currently on Recruiting Duty, and I've seen posts in this thread speaking to the divorce rate in the Country and the Corps. Over the past few years, I have personally seen several Sgt's and SSgt's go through painful divorces/proceedings or extensive counselling to repair relations with their spouses, as well I myself doing so. It doesn't matter what Rank you are or how old you are, it's the time we devote to our profession, and sometimes, our spouses don't understand that. On the flip side of that, sometimes we don't prioritize well enough to make time when we have it, to enrich those relations. So, advice wise, make sure that you both understand the profession you're in, and that there will be times when the Marine Corps comes first, and there will be times when you have to fight to make your relationship #1. Most times, you'll never really find a balance, but as long as there is understanding and support between the two of you, you'll be ok. Good luck out there, and stay safe!! S/F

I'm going to have to side with Jetdoc on this one, it all depends on the individuals. My wife and I were married 8 months after we met, that was 14 years ago last week. But on the same hand I knew Marines that married their high school sweet heart right after boot and were divorced before they got to their duty station.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    go for it...i was in same situation..me 19 her 17...got married and september 20th it will be 38 years (yes she needs amedal for putting up with me)

Quote Originally Posted by GSEMarine94 View Post
    I'm going to have to side with Jetdoc on this one, it all depends on the individuals. My wife and I were married 8 months after we met, that was 14 years ago last week. But on the same hand I knew Marines that married their high school sweet heart right after boot and were divorced before they got to their duty station.
    I hear you GSE. You can't figure out life. Its like folks that live a long life and asking them the "secret" to a long life. Everyone has a different answer. I know some elderly folks who sware drinking wine everyday helps...I know some that sware no drinking of alcohol is the secret. I have a inlaw thats about 88, everyday he has a cigar and two mixed drinks at a local VFW. Plus he drives himself wherever he needs to go, (not while drinking).

Congrats on your 14 years bro.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I took R&R to get married while I was serving in N.I.
    Worst thing I ever did. She hated forces life and we lasted 3 years, while I was away on maneuvers, she'd be getting 'banged' With hindsight, she came with baggage ( 2kids ) and I was nothing more than a meal ticket.

I agree with the Captain.

On one hand you only live once, and mistakes make for better stories to tell when you're older. On the other, it's marriage... It will either make you or break you. If you aren't honestly 100% confident that you will die wearing the ring she gives you then I would reconsider.

If it where me in your boots, I'd wait. I hear love waits.

As far as marrying a 17 year old- I've come across no order prohibiting you from doing so.
    Off Topic- Limey, I love your signature lol

Last edited by Parker-0321; 08-24-09 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Spelling

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker-0321 View Post
    Off Topic- Limey, I love your signature lol
    Thanks. I have to confess that I did 'borrow' it

Thread Information