Marrying a 17 year old? - Page 4
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Isrowei View Post
    Well, I think his mind is made up.

He'll see the foolishness of it in a few years. Maybe she'll see it sooner and that's what starts the breaking apart process. She's 17 now? I give her 2 more years till she gets to college and the first few alcohol-fueled "indiscretions" come to light.

Good luck. Enjoy the extra BAH while it lasts.

Don't have kids.

had a PFC in Iraq the second time get sent home before we even got to fallujah 'cause his wife was cheating on him, neglected the newborn baby and had kilos of cocaine in the freezer when the MPs came to kick her out for having 4-5 guys over at a time at night with the neighbors hearing the fvcking going on.

he was a good kid... she was his sweetheart and they were together for 6 years... she never saw anything more than the next county over... so you can imagine her surprise when she had cash, car and the ability to go anywhere without asking her husband.

you'll regret it Marine...

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post

he was a good kid... she was his sweetheart and they were together for 6 years... she never saw anything more than the next county over... so you can imagine her surprise when she had cash, car and the ability to go anywhere without asking her husband.

I gotta agree with this.. you say you're only concerned about legally marrying a 17 yr. old well..your sncoic could've answered that. you brought it here and we tell you the odds are NOT in your favor for a successful marriage. Think about it, getting married at such a young age isn't easy but being in the Marine Corps. makes it even harder sure there are success stories but the odds are NOT in your favor at all. If you love this girl give her a chance to mature a little more and be sure she can handle the life that comes with being married to a Marine.

Semper Fi...

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Whats the Hurry???
    Take it one day at a time.
    Concentrate on being a Marine.
    If you get Deployed your Full Attention will be needed for the Job at Hand.
    The last thing you or your Brother Marines need in a Combat situation is you thinking about your New Wife back home.
    Stay Focused.
    Semper Fi,
    Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by earningthetitle View Post
    My girl and I have been together for 4 years now since I was 15 and she was 13 when we first started dating and now its 19 and 17. We've been engaged for the past year and a half and her parents are cool with our plans to get married before she turns 18. My question is does the Marine Corps have an order against us marrying before she turns 18 as its still more than a few months away, but we'd like to be married before my first deployment.

Forgive me for not reading all of the responses before responding...Definitely no on the idea of young Marines getting married. Under no circumstances should you consider getting married this soon in the your Marine Corps career. Aside from all the other reasons (financial, stress on marriage, youth, etc), the most important is the WestPac widows. Marines deploy and their wives get bored, and end up sleeping around. You just don't need it. If you love her, keep in touch, visit her and all that stuff, and maybe down the road think about marriage.>>

If you do decide to marry her, please consider a plan for all of the contingencies, especially what she will do while you are deployed. A great bet is for her to live with her family...and be careful about your finances.

Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    Yea, I just found that. No LCpls till 1959.

I had no idea how much the rank structure has changed in the last 100 years. Here's a cool thread about it.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=61015

Holy Crap, 29 -37 was a mess!

And found another good on W.E.B Griffin's part (aside from his lousy books), he has Lcpl's in 1941.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    earningthetitle,
    Now, with the internet and e-mail, text messaging, etc., anyone can get a "Dear John" letter electronically with results being , sometimes, fatal. I had heard of a "contractor" who was so distraught that he blew his brains out. Of coarse the sad part was that he was "over there" trying to make a better life for his family. It doesn't do the psyche good to be in an area of conflict, with someone/group trying to kill you on a daily basis, and then receive heart breaking news ala a Dear John e-mail.
    Heed the words of wisdom, they have your best interest at heart. As an add on, I have heard and met couples who fell in love at an early age and stayed in love with one another "until death do you part" but they weren't Marines.

What you do is this:

Tell you're wife g/f et cetera, that if she really needs to fvck around, it's cool with you. Just be sure to bag it and stay on the pill.

That way, when you're balls deep in a Navy, Thai or Russian whoar you don't feel so guilty and she can't say anything.

And when you get back, things are peachy and you both have some new tricks to teach each other.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    But I'm glad I didn't take it in '71. She was 17, I was a 19 yr old PFC, and it's been 38 wonderful years, You just don't know,,,, Or differen't times?
    Actually Sparkie, I think it was different times. You see, you nailed it just a few posts later with the "selflessness" remark. Marriage is all about putting the other person first, and honestly... that isn't something that is nearly as common in teaching, nor in example, for today's generation. Hell, I got a good dose from my folks (they're at 35+ years now?) and my first years of marriage were ROUGH!! And I did wait. It's just hard to put someone else first.

Anyway, my hats off to you guys who have stuck it through for a half-century. That's amazing and a true example for us younger guys to follow. But, I do think it's a little different time than when you were growing up and a few years doesn't hurt any of these young Marines.

Credits
    Savings
    Alisium,

That's actually some pretty good advice. I have known my wife since we were in fifth grade together, hooked up again during our sophmore year in high school, and knew that we would eventually get married. It's just that I knew that I was going to be in the Corps, and I did not want her or myself to feel any pressure of a commitment when we knew that I was not always going to be around.

During the 10 years I spent in the Corps we constantly were in touch, and I would see her while I was on leave. One thing we never did was discuss what went on while I was away, that way any jealous feelings were left out. She enjoyed her time, and I enjoyed mine.

Having said all that, our destiny was fulfilled 6 months after I got out of active duty, and we will be celebrating our 22nd year of marriage this year. Just some food for thought for you, earningthetitle.

My advise to you...

Marriage is tough on a young Marine and you and your lady both have to be strong.

When I was a young PFC at my 1st duty station overseas, I met a young lady and wanted to get married. My SSgt told me this; "If the Marine Corps wanted you to have a wife they would issue you one." Well, my command at the time also frowned on the idea of young Marines getting hitched. I was stubborn and it was a uphill struggle to go through all the channels on base, but in the end, I got my wish. Take heed...I indeed struggled. Depending on your parent unit, some Marines frown upon "brown baggers", that's what we call married Marines that live off base or in base housing. Some will do anything to make your life a living hell. Try not to skate out of any extra duty cause they will be keeping an extra eye on you. When I was in Hell Bent Charlie Co., we had a SSgt tough as nails. We brown baggers didn't cut a break at all. We came in on Thurs for field day and if the barracks failed the field day inspection, guess what! Brown baggers are coming in all weekend long to square it away. Every unit is different. If you are in a 03XX or 13XX MOS...look out! These units expect their Marines to be tight. I found out how hard it is to be tight with your fellow Marines when you gotta run home after working hours. It might be different now, I have no idea. That's the way it was when I was in.

In any regard, I am not trying to scare you or change your mind in anyway, I just want you to be aware of what you might expect out in the fleet as a young married Devil Dog.

Whatever you decide, Good Luck to you and yours and I wish you the best.

So I brought up the topic of deployment with her again. I won't find out what squadron I'm going to for atleast another few weeks. As soon as I find out where that is, I'm going find out when they're deploying and well go from there. If theres not a lot of time we'll likely wait until I get back.

what if you go 18 months to oki/iwakuni???

In the wise words of rapper Lil Wayne, "only thing I fear is God and weddings."

Thread Information