Walking with tobacco
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Walking with tobacco

I was just curious. I see alot of senior ranking Marines walking with dip in, and was just curious if it's like that at other bases. I was told by senior Marines that the MCO says you can't walk and CHEW tobacco, but others would lock me on with dip in my mouth. I read the order for myself, and it seems to be associated with chewing food or gum. So am I confused, that you can't CHEW tobacco or have any tobacco in your mouth? And why does it seem like if your SSgt or higher, your good to go, as long as your not chewing the actual chewing tobacco?

Are you kidding me? You've never seen the Master Guns walking around outside with his cover off talking on a cell phone chewing gum? I've seen that at least twice.

The way it works is: If you're a SgtMaj, and a LCpl comes up to you and identifies a discrepancy, you're going to tell him to go **** himself until he can climb up your rockers.

If you're a LCpl and that same SgtMaj sees you doing something he just did, he's going to lay into you. Thats just the way it is.

Credits
    Savings
    I think it all depends. Me being a "boot" and having the rules fresh in my mind, I wouldn't dip at my RSS. But the Gunny there told me its ok as long as I don't spit in front of civilians and use a non-transparent can or bottle as my spitter. I try not to though because I don't believe it looks too becoming of a Marine.

If senior Marines are doing this, it sure does not mean that the lower ranks can. The Marine corps has really went downhill, if this is happening today.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    If senior Marines are doing this, it sure does not mean that the lower ranks can. The Marine corps has really went downhill, if this is happening today.
    Well, from what I got in boot camp was its more acceptable in the field, but when garrisoned it's shunned upon. i can't say much but when i was at PI, there were several Marines (LCpls and Cpls) dipping at Uniforms, and a few DI's always with a chew in. Our Series Commander was also always chewing

Quote Originally Posted by Lupo22 View Post
    I think it all depends. Me being a "boot" and having the rules fresh in my mind, I wouldn't dip at my RSS. But the Gunny there told me its ok as long as I don't spit in front of civilians and use a non-transparent can or bottle as my spitter. I try not to though because I don't believe it looks too becoming of a Marine.
    You obviously haven't had much time in the fleet or the field for that matter. Dipping is pretty "becomming" of a Marine. If your SNCO says you're cleared hot, then I wouldn't worry about it but if your conscience is going to get to you, then just disregard and don't do it.

this might sound gross to some of ya'll but i dipped all the time when working on tracks and if a SNCO was around i'd gut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lupo22 View Post
    Well, from what I got in boot camp was its more acceptable in the field, but when garrisoned it's shunned upon. i can't say much but when i was at PI, there were several Marines (LCpls and Cpls) dipping at Uniforms, and a few DI's always with a chew in. Our Series Commander was also always chewing
    Sure hope the complete Marine Corps hasn't picked up this nasty habit. Hopefully, it is only the boys from the hills who don't know any better.

Obviously in the field uniform guidance is lax as well it should be when in the field/combat. However, in garrision it is stupid. I see people do this all the time and its disgusting in my opinion and I have tried it and can't say I like it one bit. To say the least I have seen all ranks Officers and Enlisted do it.

This is an extremely nasty habit. I never even knew what dipping was before the Corps. Just the other day our MSgt was yelling at our shop because a Marine was smoking outside the barracks. He was yelling at us with a dip in his mouth. Pretty hypocritical if you ask me. I know that the order is no tobacco within 50 feet of government buildings. The order doesn't differentiate between smoke and smokeless. None the less he walks around with about a half a can in his mouth all day.

This is just the way it is, I don't think leadership has failed us. Dipping inside and smoking inside is completely different. I know ALOT of Marines that dip in uniform, so it doesn't even seem shocking to me. Once you've been to the fleet for a while, you'll notice that Dip is just as becoming a Marine as drinking is. Within your first couple years in, you'll discover your love for Monster energy drinks, dip, cigs, and booze.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by irizavrima View Post
    This is an extremely nasty habit. I never even knew what dipping was before the Corps. Just the other day our MSgt was yelling at our shop because a Marine was smoking outside the barracks. He was yelling at us with a dip in his mouth. Pretty hypocritical if you ask me. I know that the order is no tobacco within 50 feet of government buildings. The order doesn't differentiate between smoke and smokeless. None the less he walks around with about a half a can in his mouth all day.
    Hey Cpl, isn't it no smoking within 50ft? I don't believe its tobacco...I could be wrong.

The difference between smoking and dipping is that smoking affects others directly through second hand smoke. Dipping has no affect on anyone but the dipper. At the same time, whoever is dipping should make sure to have a non-transparent can or cup that they can spit in. If its a cup, put a napkin in it so you don't spill it...that kind of thing. As long as they take precautions to be respectful of others, than i don't think its a big deal.

Lupo, I don't think he was confused by the difference... good looking out though.

@ ski... there are unwritten rules in garrison... basically, if you see them do it and you have the balls to go up to them then go ahead and TACTFULLY inform them of their malfeasance... sometimes it just slips their mind. If they are good leaders they will respect you for it.

But don't think that just 'cause you saw Sgt Maj dipping and walking w/o his cover on while talking on the phone that you can use that as an excuse with your Sgt/SSgt... though I'm sure you know that.

When you pick up rank you'll see there are certain perks with the responsibilities... I for one would not get mad at one of my Marines if I do the same thing. I put my cover in my cargo pocket when indoors... I do it 'cause I won't lose it or forget it. I've heard so many Marines say it makes me look nasty or whatever... but when they start crying about who took their cover, I laugh while pulling mine out of my pocket and putting it on on my way to formation...

you put your cover in your cargo pocket!? Dirtbag..... I mean.... Good Morning Staff Sergeant!

haha... good Morning... and yes I do... do you honestly think it makes me a dirtbag?

Thread Information