New MCO?
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New MCO?

Credits
    Savings
    Images

New MCO?

Flipping through the channels I hear a snippet about a new MCO saying no facebook/twitter/and other such sites. Any of you AD Marines know anything? Is it so?

They stopped everyone from using those sites on base years ago.

Are you talking about not allowing them overseas? While it sucks for the marine, we had incidents where the younger marines would leak out information they weren't supposed to on those kinds of sites and we had to ban them ourselves.

Email is better than snail mail however.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Interesting.

So you guys can do it, just not on base?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    What's the punishment for it if you get popped?

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Cool Extra attention 2 Beautiful Former Women Marines

Satisfaction Guaranteed If "I" were 2 PoP You Beautiful

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Oh Jack

Kim, the MCO only addresses use on Official Marine Corps Networks (in this case NMCI). The policy has always not allowed the use of social networking sites on the NMCI network.

The MCO actually clarifies how a unit can gain an exception to the policy for official purposes (i.e. a unit Facebook page). Regular Joe Private has never been allowed to sit at his desk and surf MySpace and Facebook while he's supposed to be working, but now appropriate individuals within a command can be given special permission to develop and maintain Unit pages. There's a big difference.

The real stupidity of it is that the News media has jumped on it as a "the Marine Corps banned all Social Networking use" story which it is clearly not. Instead, they missed the whole "the Marine Corps is now allowing and encouraging units to develop official pages via established social networking sites."

Gotta hand it to them to pull a bad story out of a good one.

I put this over in Chesty's Hooch a couple of days ago....

Pentagon reviews social networking on computers
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87441

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    OK, thanks Captain. Makes sense. I mean, even our system at work blocks certain sites. No biggie.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sorry, didn't catch that one LASWM.

I don't quite understand how the Marine Corps is just NOW getting publicity for this. They may have just recently made it official, but for the last couple years (at least) those sites have been banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine84 View Post
    What's the punishment for it if you get popped?
    hopefully loss of a stripe.
    after being out and coming back in i see too many Marines not caring about rules. i still get disgusted when i see people walking across the grass

LMAO...there's a MCO for grass walkers?

Semper Fi: Why the Marine Social Media Ban May Not Go Far Enough
    Pajamas Media ^ | August 8 | Bob Owens

Posted on Saturday, August 08, 2009 1:59:17 PM by AJKauf

An immediate ban on commercial social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, and MySpace went into effect for all Marine Corps personnel using the unclassified Marine Corps Enterprise Network (MCEN) NIPRNET this past Monday. This ban does not affect the personal use of social media by Marines on their own private computers or wired devices.

But perhaps it should.

The ban went into effect — according to the memo — because the “very nature of social networking sites creates a larger attack and exploitation window, exposes unnecessary information to adversaries and provides an easy conduit for information leakage.” The stated concern is that Marines accessing these open social networks from Marine Corps computers could expose the MCEN to security breaches and attacks that could threaten to disrupt or intercept Marine communications. Further, that information data-mined from social networks could also be used to compromise both operational security and personal security is also a possibility.

While this may be an accurate claim, MCEN security already effectively blocks social network access according to officials. The reason for the ban is to put a waiver system in place to grant access to Marines who may need specific access to social media sites to perform their duties. Examples of those exceptions would include the Marines that operate the USMC Twitter site, the Marine Corps Facebook site, and the Marine Corps MySpace site.

But if a ban on social media on official Marine computer systems is essential for hardening network security and limiting potential intrusion and infiltration, wouldn’t a complete ban including personal computers and wireless devices also make a great deal of sense?...
    http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/semper-...go-far-enough/

Thread Information