Do you write ?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you write ?

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Do you write ?

Have anyone here written any thing like stories, poems or even a book or two about their time in Nam & after the war ? Just curious.

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    NO...but I sing...."Happy trails to you...until we meet again..."!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images

!

Funny Doc .....

No, But I recently found out that the FO Officer from our Battery (Whiskey 2-11) wrote a paper about our experiences in Viet Nam '66-'67 from a compilation of letters he wrote home. The link to that paper is in my signature Howe_letters

Credits
    Savings
    Images

!

I think all Nam vets should write it down before we all disappear. Its a history that will disappear unless you leave our own words for others to read in the future. It doesn't need be all combat, any story can be written.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Actually, Riven37, alot of Marine Corps history has been typed right here in this website by its members and contributors. Of coarse this history, being either personal or passed down by either word of mouth, script or written format, may have been typed in a paragraph or two but never the less I feel that there is quite a compilation of Marine Corps history in this websites archives. Finding these jewels of information will present quite a challenge but you might search for "Monkey Mountain" and see what has been written. You might find a thread where the topic was a missing Marine in action while on a certain hill , during a certain time and certain operation while in Vietnam. You might also find that another member replied that a week later while operating in the same area, with a different outfit, came across the body of a Marine and later found out that it was the Marine that was missing in combat. Yes, there are writers on this website with Marine Corps history flowing through them. Search for Olangado, Phillipines. You will find alot of written Marine Corps history by the membership of Leatherneck.com. concerning this particular geographic area.
    Adios, for now.

"MONKEY MOUNTAIN"...Slowley I turn,step by step,inch by inch........Abott & Costelo ? No just a little humor to a horrid land mark...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I have written a book of shorte storys of my tour....have given it to some that i have found that i was in country with....all have said that its as they also remember things...the dreams are good for keeping things fresh....i wish i had kept better memorys of dates..... time gets sort of jumbled....was told by shrink that if you write things down it helps you to deal with them.....wife read some and incouraged me to write more...so added some of the lighter side also

Lay Me Down Gentle

Lay me down in that soft green meadow, where the wind blows gentle and sun shines mellow.

Lay me down by the ones I love, to spend my days in heaven above.

Lay me down for my days have grown dreary, for I am so tired, broken and weary.

Lay me down in that soft green meadow, where so many loved ones lie in that soft dark shadow.

Lay me down where I did put them to rest, with sweet memories that will forever have to last.

Lay me down for my heart gave out, some say it was broken, of that there is no doubt.

Lay me down not far from that babbling brook, where passing gentle people stop, but never look.

Lay me down for my heart it did break, in memory of dear loved ones that I could never forsake.

Just lay me down in that soft green meadow, where the winds blows gentle and the sun shines mellow.

Dear God Please "Just Lay Me Down Gentle".

Jamie Lang
    In memory of my daughter, father, mother and all cancer victims.

Sorry my daughter posted this in the wrong forum. She just want people to read it and thought this was just poems in general.

Talking Here's what I think !

I've thought about it , but figure who would want to read about an inductee Marine who was not a " happy camper " most of the time while in the Corps !

Heck my best time while in the Corps was my time in Nam . I just loved the day by day happenings ! It was the time when being a Marine finally satisfied me and then I seen what the Air Force , Navy and Army had and figure what a budget outfit the Corps was !

I have no regrets of being in the Corps , as it builds character that I realize that is part of who I am , as I have seen the good , the bad and the ugly of being a Marine , if I liked it or not at a time , when I was young along with my brothers who thought we could change the world fighting for a cause that we were told was right !

I contributed personal experience in Volume One, "Combat Photographers" in Time-Life 21 volume book series, "Vietnam Experience," published in 1983. Sidebar: first and only Marine combat camerman of Chinese American ancestry in Vietnam War. Story contributor, 10th anniversary of Fall of Saigon music reportoire; Sony Records; narrator, "Beyond the Call of Duty," PBS film about Cpl. William Perkins, 1st combat photographer in U.S. military to receive Medal of Honor. We were together in RVN, '67 when he lost his life. On camera for special program on Vietnam veterans, Showtime Smithsonian Network.

Semper fi,

The VVA Veteran magazine often publishes writing of Vietnam Vets. Google them and find out more.

Dee Dee
    remembering Gene -Vietnam vet. 1946-1998

Quote Originally Posted by Riven37 View Post
    Have anyone here written any thing like stories, poems or even a book or two about their time in Nam & after the war ? Just curious.
    I'll chime in.....coffee is kicking in...

I began writing after I got out in 1969.
    I'm not one who can appreciate poetry but I wrote a few poems in the early 70's.
    Being as how I'd already been a musician I'd found writing songs was more my inclination and have been doing it ever since and also played in live bands.
    I written a concept music project called "The Medieval Man" (1974) although I have not finished recording it because of other projects.
    Co-wrote with a music buddy another concept project called "The Travels Of Qua'Zelar which is complete but not to my satisfaction.
    I've written probably 60 songs or so and have about 26 recorded on my music anthology movie (DVD) project....working on this project now.

Vietnam....a few years ago I decided to make my own personal documentary (DVD) of my time there before I forget everything.
    I've documented a couple of my most profound experiences.
    It took two years to complete this DVD using Sony Music Studio.
    The depth of the Sony program is still a vertical learning curve for me.

So yes...I like to write and have two more songs close to complete.

Carry on....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I wrote 17 letter's too The Parent's of My Fellow Marines whom where in My Company that were KIA,during My time with I/3/26,Had Fellow Marines ask Me too forward Letters to their Family if they Bought The Farm,same as I did;a Few of The Letters are in The National Archives in The Nations Capital.Semper Fidelis

Thread Information