"how do I get back in" Sgt and below - Page 17
Create Post
Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    I'm 47, 10 yrs prior, 2111 wRE-1a. If I go Navy or Army can I switch back to the Corps?

I've heard that its possible, I dont know if age will be an issue. I've actually given up trying to get back in the Marine Corps for now, I had a recruiter basically tell me that he didnt want to put in the work, so now i'm going Army in the hopes that maybe i'll be able to transfer in the future.

Marine Family Free Member SmithAdrian's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I was told by a GySgt at RSS Hollywood that getting in with a 3P reentry code is nearly impossible now a days...Do any of the Marines here know the accuracy of that statement?

Quote Originally Posted by SmithAdrian View Post
    I was told by a GySgt at RSS Hollywood that getting in with a 3P reentry code is nearly impossible now a days...Do any of the Marines here know the accuracy of that statement?
    RE-3P - Failure to meet physical/ medical standards (includes pseudofolliculitis and weight standards).

Recommended by CO upon removal of disqualifying factor. SRB entry required stating reason for assignment. Individual Marine must sign SRB entry. CMC authority required for reenlistment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmithAdrian View Post
    A 3p can be waivered, but, it all depends on if the recruiter is willing to go through the process and paper work for you. If you are on disability its very very very hard to get in right now,I would go as far as saying its impossible, especially with the current manpower of the Marine Corps.

I had a Re-4, got it changed to the proper code of Re-3p, Marine recruiters have been giving me the run a round for almost 6 months now, talked to an Army recruiter yesterday, starting application process today, so if the recruiters aren't willing to do their job then you are up ****s creek without a paddle. Good luck.

If you guys want straight answers contact SSgt Gordon out of RS Portland. He is a PSR but he will help anyone out regardless of where they are currently residing. His number is 1-800-586-5042

Thank you ritter, I will give him a call. All I truly want is a straight honest answer, if reenlistment is not possible at this time for me then I am fine with that. But if it can happen I am willing to put in the work.

Just to add, SSgt Gordon is on leave for another day or so. I would try calling out there on Wednesday or Thursday and keep calling he isn't the best at calling people back since he gets many calls. Concerning re-enlistment I would say that it is next to impossible unless you join the reserves and then augment over to active duty. It is even difficult to get into the reserves and could take up to a year to do so even if you are still in the IRR.

Hey everyone let me run my situation by you all.

I'm 35 years old. I was active duty USMC from 1993-1997, Honorable Discharge. Last August I joined the USN-R as an HM and I am currently drilling as an HM3.

Not to talk bad about any service but I have realized in the 9 months or so that the Navy is not for me.

Basically I want to get back into the USMC as a Reservist. "ASSUMING" the Navy grants me a conditional release, is it possible to get back into the USMC-R in my situation? My Navy command has granted releases in the past so I am pretty sure I could get one. They did one about 6 months ago for an HM to go into the Army NG as a Medic and they granted another one to another HM who was prior active duty USMC to go back AD USMC.

I am still very much in height/weight standards, I can still run a 1st class PFT and I work in the civilian world as a Firefighter/Paramedic with some college but no degree.

So I am looking at what will be a 12 going on 13 year break in service from the Marine Corps.

I'll drop from an E-4 to an E-3 if I have to and I'd be willing to switch MOS or whatever it takes.

Semper Fi

Corporal RE1A I want back in

Hi everyone,

I was honorably discharged with a code of RE1a. I have no tattoos, no NJPS, Courts martial, ETC.. Basically, I am squeaky clean. I haven't ran a PFT officially yet but I expect to be around 260-275. I am a 3 time expert rifle marksman with an MOS of 0151 (administrative clerk). I am within height/weight standards and I have been out for about six months (I'm still in the IRR). I am VERY close to Bachelor's Degree (Don't know if that helps). I have been reading and I realize that getting back onto active duty for prior service is EXTREMELY difficult right now. My question is do you think I have a shot at this? If yes, about how long do you think it will take? If not I have some more questions on the IMA.

I know that getting back into the IMA SMCR is not too difficult right now for prior service. My main concern is that I know nearly nothing about reserves or reserve units. If I work 110% towards the goal of getting back on active duty, how long do you think I might be in a reserve unit until I can get an AD spot or contract?

my psr that ive been working with says the only way any prior service is getting in right now is via the reserves. says to do some time over there and then at the new physical year submit for active duty when all the new boat spaces come out.

just my 2 cents.

ive been tryin to get back in for quite awhile however my main problem has been finding a recruiter that actually gave a crap. the recruiter that im working with now is a f-18 airframer, i was a f-18 plane captain, we know some of the same people as he actually joined a month before i did.

Mattymedic9, your situation will be difficult but possible. I made the mistake of joining the naval reserves and it was incredibly hard to transfer back to the Marine Corps; however, it is possible. SSgt Gordon got a Marine in who had been out since 1999, so I would recommend giving him a call to see what he can do for you.
    Npchristian- to answer your questions it should only take about six months to augment over to active duty once you are in the reserves, I know this because one of my LCpls is currently in the process of augmenting over; however, he is a grunt so that may make a difference since the Marine Corps is looking for trigger pullers. You may want to look at conducting a lateral move to the infantry, it might increase your chances of getting back on active duty.
    Badass79cj5- Call SSgt Gordon he may be able to help you out.

Thanks for the reply. Ritter I was wondering did you have a hard time getting a release from your command in the Navy Reserves? Or were the problems on the Marine side?

I got the number for the nearest prior service Marine Reserve recruiter. A Gunny in Orlando. Left a voicemail today. I'll try back tomorrow. I have drill this weekend so I'll inquire about the possibility of a release in order to go back to the Marine Corps.

Mattymedic9, getting the release was the easy part; however, the Navy messed up my release and just deleted me out of the system and didn't give me a proper discharge code which is what slowed my process of returning to the Marine Corps. All you need to do is fill out a 368 form and send it up your chain of command.

Devil-dogs.

Let me get your opinion on this. As you can see in my above post I got out in Sept 09. I want back in as quickly as possible. However, I can get back in through IMA. I've been offered a slot fore deployment (7 months). I would be deploying voluntarily straight out of the IRR. Does anyone know if this will increase my chances of going straight into regular active duty as opposed to talking to a recruiter or simply staying in the IMA?? I would be ending deployment in November. This means that I would be active during the new fiscal year. My concern is leaving my job so that I can be activated and then being kicked to the curb once the deployment is over and having no job and still not on active duty.

Thread Information