"how do I get back in" Sgt and below - Page 22
Create Post
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    This doesn't involve getting back in, but it does relate to the bureaucratic BS. I ran into a Marine vet last week (he was a 3521). He said he had gone into Iraq with the 2003 invasion and in 2004 they were spooling up to go again. He had to re-enlist and they promised he could stay with his current unit until they came back from the pump.

On the day he went to sign the papers, he found he was getting orders to Okinawa instead. He said he argued with them and even offered to go to Oki immediately after getting back from Iraq, but no dice. So he refused to re-up.

He said at the time he was pretty ticked off, but he's been doing OK in the CivDiv as a heavy truck mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Man, that sure sounds familiar. After waiting practically a YEAR (and I had a unit that desperately NEEDED me for my MOS, and saved me a slot) with NO results, I enlisted in the Air National Guard. Process took 3 days and I was DONE.
    Granted my process was a little more complicated, due to my RE-3P. BUT, the same shenanigans went down and it was all the more frustrating. I think the whole process was flawed, starting from the PSR, to MEPS, all the way down the line. There's no incentive for the PSR's, so in return you get bare minimum.

Hey everyone, I just wanted to pick everyones brain on this one. I read back through a few pages to find this info but found nothing. Does anyone know if there are any new maradmins or whatnot about reservists going active right now. I tried a few years ago but with no luck the top RS turned me down saying that they closed the window a week or so before. Now I am trying to get into EOD and I want to make sure that I can go first before I go and spend the week interviewing with them now. I did this 2 years ago and it was only a one day interview but its a little longer now. I am currentally in the reserves on my IRR time so I would be a PSEP. Does anyone have any good info on this, other than talk to a PSR or a Reg Recruiter?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubadvr1999 View Post
    Hey everyone, I just wanted to pick everyones brain on this one. I read back through a few pages to find this info but found nothing. Does anyone know if there are any new maradmins or whatnot about reservists going active right now. I tried a few years ago but with no luck the top RS turned me down saying that they closed the window a week or so before. Now I am trying to get into EOD and I want to make sure that I can go first before I go and spend the week interviewing with them now. I did this 2 years ago and it was only a one day interview but its a little longer now. I am currentally in the reserves on my IRR time so I would be a PSEP. Does anyone have any good info on this, other than talk to a PSR or a Reg Recruiter?

Thanks

let me make sure I understand what you are asking about before I give any repsonses. Are you asking about going from IRR to SMCR, IRR to Active Reserves, or IRR to Active?

Reserves to Active, sorry I was little unclear

Sgt,

See my post in the open squad bay titled SNCO Re-Accession to Active Duty. It will give you some basic framework as well as the reference material you have requested. Then either post questions on here or PM me. I have just gone through this and swear back in tomorrow.

Ok gotcha. Here is my understanding and I only am giving this information because I just came back into the SMCR after being off contract for 9 years.

I tried starting last year to go straight into the Active side and roughly 10 different recruiters told me the Marine Corps isn't taking any prior service right now. That was a 2 to 4 month journey. I was told the only way to even remotely come close to getting back to Active is going into the Reserves and then applying for Active Reserves.

I think Active itself is almost out of the question for now. I was told to apply for Active Reserves in September/October when the boat spaces come out. You can also try your luck for Active at that time, but you may get the same answer as before. The hardest part is finding a recruiter or PSR who will go the extra mile to process you.

Quote Originally Posted by SSgtRSD View Post
    Sgt,

See my post in the open squad bay titled SNCO Re-Accession to Active Duty. It will give you some basic framework as well as the reference material you have requested. Then either post questions on here or PM me. I have just gone through this and swear back in tomorrow.

I will have to view your post as well. So you swear back in for Active tomorrow? Do you have a specialized MOS? I am an 0311 so that may be why I had such a hard time.

Yes, straight to the active component. Here's the deal, read the MCO listed in my post. Next, pay specific attention to FTAP versus STAP. Find where you fall. This will determine time frame in which you can submit a package. You will see FTAP can only suit during specific times. This may be where so many Marines are getting this "the Corps isn't taking PSEPs now". When it is really the corps isn't taking PSEPs until 1 Jan, but we can start your package now so that you can submit exactly on 1 Jan (as it takes a few months to get a complete package).

Here are the two obstacles, and note I say obstacles and not dead ends, recruiters and the how much you want it factor. You have to find a recruiter who will help you, I can expand later. Secondly, it is tough. I went back and forth to the Recruiting stations sometimes multiple times a day to fix things. It took about three months to even get a complete package to be submitted. Patience and wanting it is what gets the job done.

In regards to MOS, it comes down to boat spaces. This also is covered I the order.

SSgt PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by SSgtRSD View Post
    Yes, straight to the active component. Here's the deal, read the MCO listed in my post. Next, pay specific attention to FTAP versus STAP. Find where you fall. This will determine time frame in which you can submit a package. You will see FTAP can only suit during specific times. This may be where so many Marines are getting this "the Corps isn't taking PSEPs now". When it is really the corps isn't taking PSEPs until 1 Jan, but we can start your package now so that you can submit exactly on 1 Jan (as it takes a few months to get a complete package).

Here are the two obstacles, and note I say obstacles and not dead ends, recruiters and the how much you want it factor. You have to find a recruiter who will help you, I can expand later. Secondly, it is tough. I went back and forth to the Recruiting stations sometimes multiple times a day to fix things. It took about three months to even get a complete package to be submitted. Patience and wanting it is what gets the job done.

If I am reading the order correctly I am not eligible. I have 3 years obligated service left on my SMCR contract and I am prior active service. Can you give any insight as to whether I am not understanding the order correctly? I am referencing to page 11 of the order "Reservists reenlisting to Active Duty"....

thanks.

Clarify your service status? Are you on an 8 yr contract 4 active/4IRR, 6 reserve/2 IRR, or other?

I am on a 3 year SMCR contract. I was active for four years got out in 1999. Came off contract in 2002. I just joined 4th LAR in Frederick, Md. I had to commit to a 3 year contract because i have to go to the LAV Crewman Course. So because I am going to school they wanted a commitment out of me.

You may have some trouble, I only say this because you are so new to the SMCR. MARFORRES may look at it as you still owe them. Now don't let this stop you from applying. You will fall under either the prior service active or Reserve Marine (I know the order states "those with no active time"), but the recruiter can tell you which you fall under.

Thread Information