"how do I get back in" Sgt and below - Page 20
Create Post
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 LastLast
    Seems this thread has fallen of the face of the forum. I have decited to start up my process again and try and get back on AD. Im still in the reserves right now and my IRR time is up in november. I am trying to get into EOD. Took and passed the interview a lil over 1 year and a half ago. Prob have to take it again. Does anyone have any new info on trying to get back in. Are they at least taking ppl for the critical MOS's?

I have been in the process of trying to go back both active and reserves. My PSR for reserves has been great but the recruiters on the AD side have been brutal. Most lie telling you that you can't get back in, you will lose rank, etc... etc... I actually talked to a recruiter who is a friend of a friend to try and help me out, he said he could probably get me in, but it would be a long waiting list. Probably not until at least Oct. He did say if you are a critical billet though you could get in easily.

Good news for me is that my PSR for reserves left me a message the other day that I got accepted for a PWST billet. So at least I got my foot in the door and will go from there. I am not sure if it makes a difference if you are already in regarding active, but just wanted to share the information I got.

Finally!!! After 1 year of fighting the VA and the Marine Corps I am back in the ranks. Checking in this next week. Good luck to the rest of you. S/F

paperwork

Well my paperwork is being sent to HQMC this Friday so we will see if I get the approval to get back in the ranks.

The unit I am trying to get with accepted me so now it is up to HQMC. PSR says I should be good to go but it may take up to 2 months before I hear back. Hopefully it doesn't take that long and I get the nod.

Marines,

It is extremely difficult to get back into the Active Component after you've left. The Marine Corps is drawing down its active ranks and it does not need Marines that have left and want to come back in right now. A few years ago it did when the Corps was recruiting its way to 202,000 active component Marines. That's the bad news. The good news is that the Active Reserve (AR) program may need you. It's active duty full time support to the reserves. You can also get a 20 year retirement from it. Right now the Marine Corps needs 0111 MOSs and aviation MOSs in the AR Program.

I just wanted to send the straight scoop out there. I work in the Marsh Building on Quantico and there is a lot of bad gouge and bum scoop that gets put on blogs like this.

Call MCRC Prior Service Recruiting at (703) 784-9426. MCRC has a list of Active Reserve (AR) billets that it recruits Marines to fill.

Hows it going gents, I new to this site and wanted to see if anyone else is having my kind of problems with prior service recruiters. I've been working on getting back in for over a year now and am on my second recruiter, the first one didn't really care because he was leaving that office. I started up with this new one and he seemed like a cool guy, we both served in 3/4 at different times and we would shoot the **** together. He came back in after a while just like I'm trying to do. Anyway, i got all my paper work done and the physical and supposedly everything was sent to HQMC. I've been calling and texting him for a while now and I can't even get a call back. I never would have imagined a Marine treating another Marine in this disrespectful manner.

caat31 - PSR's are very hard to deal with. You are not the only one having issues. By saying PSR I take it you are trying to get back in doing reserves is that correct? If not and you are trying to go full active you would need to find a regular recruiter.

Either way good luck finding someone to help you. I initially started my process back in 2008 with a PSR. Like yours he seemed good to go. Met with me, did some initial work, but then dropped off the face of the earth. Never answered calls, emails, etc..

I finally gave up and waited until he left. I met up with a PSR back in August of 10 and he took care of me. He did everything he said he would do an more. He just sent my package over about a week ago for approval from HQMC. So far he hasn't disappeared on me and is still answering my emails. I usually talk with him once a week. He did tell me that HQMC is really behind and packages are normally taking about 2 months to come back with answers.

When did your package get sent out? Another suggestion, go and see him. I have found that most Marines in this situation went in person and got a better response.

I'm shooting for reserves because I know the active situation is a long shot right now. I figure go reserves now and try to squeeze my way back to active duty over time. As for my package, it was sent out back in Jan then sent back because the MEPS left out some pages that my PSR missed. I got a message back in Feb from the PSR saying he got the pages and was resubmitting my package. Last message I got said that he understands I'm anxious to get back in but it takes time. I called and left a bunch of messages since then with some questions but haven't heard back.

caat31- do you know for sure MEPS passed you on your physical? MEPS paperwork all together is shakey according to my PSR. He actually had me go to my own doctor with medical papaerwork to have filled out. He told me if I went through MEPS it would cause problems. Not saying that is the case for you, but wanted you to know.

What I would do is go see is ass. It is a lot harder for him to ignore you if you are in front of him. If that doesn't work see if there are any other PSR's for your area that you can talk to.

The good news is if he is just ignoring you and submitted your package you should be receiving and answer by the end of the month depending when in Feb. he sent it off. Not that that makes you feel better considering he won't talk to you, but I figured I would throw a positive out there.

100% sure I passed the physical, no physical problems and they told me at the MEPS before I left.

Quote Originally Posted by caat31 View Post
    100% sure I passed the physical, no physical problems and they told me at the MEPS before I left.

Good to hear. I only asked because my PSR said they are quick to fail prior service guys for some reason. So aside from your PSR being a douche you should be good to go. I would still drop in on him if it were me though.

Let me know how it works out. Hopefully by the end of the month you are sworn back in.

Did your PSR go over uniforms and all with you? How long were you off contract?

I'll keep you in the loop. Got out Dec 38 2003, He told me that I should get new ones issued.

Yeah mine told me the same. I will keep you in the loop as well. The wait sucks.

Gents, I wish you guys good luck with getting back in. I have had about 5 prior active guys come into the reserves in the last year. One little bit for ya once you get in is make sure you are exceeding at everything, pft cft rifle to keep your fit reps high. USMC is kicking ppl out like crazy for little things. Had one guy recentally join reserve unit the month fit reps were due. He only had a few days to get EVERYTHING together and couldnt. got a passover for staff. year later while injured couldnt pass pft and got second passover. USMC told him he had two months left til they were kicking him out. Just something to keep in mind. You guys will rate a full issue, but expect some time for it to make it to you. Little this month, little next month. It will take quite a while to get it all in. And one other things for ya is try and straightin out some of those lazy reservists, every unit has a few.

latest MARADMIN on active reserve:

MARADMIN 124/11

$10,000.00 Incentive Bonus for prior service Marines (with less than 3 year break) and members of the Select Reserve that Enlist in the Active Reserve in the following MOS's (#'s in parens indicate # of billets available):

6046 (1) 6216 (1)
    6072 (1) 6217 (2)
    6092 (2) 6256 (1)
    6112 (2) 6257 (1)
    6116 (2) 6276 (1)
    6152 (2) 6316 (1)
    6172 (1) 6317 (1)
    6173 (3) 6672 (1)
    6174 (3)

See link for additional eligibility requirements and procedures as to how to apply:

http://www.marines.mil/news/messages/Pages/MARADMIN124-11.aspx/

Thread Information