Did you ever see a guide with BCGs in boot camp?
Create Post

Did you ever see a guide with BCGs in boot camp?

I was just wondering if any Marines out there saw any guides with glasses when they were in boot camp.

Yeah, had a pair myself, Damn, I was stylin!! Made Honor Grad and everything.

Seriously, yeah, I had some, and I did get HG. I only needed them for in the classroom and at the range. The rest of the time I kept them safely secured in my cargo pocket.

So don't sweat it. What they are looking for in Boot is leadership ability and for you to be a good basically trained Marine. That is your main focus, not how you look in your BCGs.

Just because you will be wear BC glasses doesn't make you any better or any worse than your fellow recruit.

It's good to know that someone else did it SSgt.

And thanks GySgt.

I'm headed to MCRDSD in 6 days and knowing that it doesn't make a difference is keeping me motivated

Why would it make a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Alisium View Post
    Why would it make a difference?

I'm just getting nervous about boot camp Cpl. I guess I'm worrying about a lot of things that I don't need to be worrying about.

Russel,

Here's a little Boot story that might put things into perspective. When I was in forming (your first week on the island), we had a recruit who told all of the rest of us recruits to stay out of his way. He stated that he was going to be the Honor Grad. At the time all I could think of was getting off the island on time, let alone is I was going to be Honor Grad or not.

Well, as we progressed through to actual training we had to do an actual PFT. Well, recruit run-his-suck couldn't get three pull-ups. Try as he might, and he had more than enough attempts, he couldn't do it. So, he was told to pack his trash and got shipped off to PCP. I saw him about 3 or 4 weeks later (I think) and he told me he was back in training. After that I never saw him again.

The moral of this story is: All you have to worry about is doing your best so that you succeed and join our brotherhood as a Marine. Study your knowledge, do your PT, be motivated and dedicated, everything else is bonus.

Lol I remember guys like that too. The honor grad in my company ended up being a quiet guy who was always locked on and just quietly but effectively lead the platoon. He was a natural leader..it also might have helped that he was like 6'3 230 haha.

Take some deeeeeep breathing excercises and caaaalmmm down. You'll do fine.

In the long run, who was guide, squad leader, or anything else only matters there, and a couple of months afterwards. My platoon honor man/guide was busted for cocaine 2 years after graduation. It's not a guarantee of success.

our honor grad was the guy you knew was in your Plt but never noticed 'cause he was doing nothing but listening... I think he was IT only 4 times, and all 4 were after he was "promoted" to guide in order to get the meritorious promotion to LCpl, when he screwed up learning flag manual since he was never guide before... and then when the DI's IT'd everyone the night before they weren't allow to IT us anymore... they both did it to everyone. (our senior mysteriously was absent at the time)

He was and still is a great guy, he was NBC... wonder what ever happened to him... I'm gonna have to look into my recuit photos and get his name...

I mean, it's really a small world even on here. Sgt Ditto and I went through boot camp together... I think he's MarSOCSgt or something like that here.

some motto trash for you...

you'll enjoy every minute of it as soon as you leave the island/Depot.

Glasses have nothing to do with it..if you prove yourself, you get picked....however, be advised that being picked as HG is not the only ticket to advancement. I was pretty much on the lower end of the grading scale in boot camp, but after getting into the everyday Corps, I advanced more quickly than my fellow recruits and left the HG far behind. If you have your sights set on HG, go for it, but if you do not make it, you will have numerous opportunities to prove yourself. Did you ever see the movie "Garden of Stones"? It's an army story, but the message is the same. One guy messed up everytime he turned around. He was finally sent to Vietnam and one day he got his stuff together and was awarded the MOH. He came back to his former unit and was a squared away soldier. The point is that not everyone learns at the same pace. Once you get your confidence and learn your job, you can go far. Just don't lose hope and keep trying everyday. Good luck.

I stopped wearing my BC's the last couple weeks of boot camp so i wouldn't have the stupid BC suntan on my head, lol.

These Marines are right that your sexy portholes won't make a difference at all. It's all your performance. I even wore those bad boys myself. To answer your question, I met a guy who was a guide for the whole cycle when he was in boot, and he wore portholes. He also happened to be one of the most squared away Marines I've ever met.

Thread Information