"Gunny"...appropriate for recruiter?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marine Free Member Matt Brzycki's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

"Gunny"...appropriate for recruiter?

This was actually a thread in Pool(ee) Hall where I tried to make a reply but wasn't allowed. At any rate, here's my take on the use of the term "gunny":

In 1976 when I was stationed at 29 Palms, I had the good fortune to serve with perhaps the most squared-away Marine that I ever met, Gunnery Sergeant Watson. An outstanding role model, he had been on the drill field and picked up E-7 in 8 years. One time, I overheard a conversation between he and a second lieutenant. At one point, the young officer referred to GySgt Watson as "Gunny." GySgt Watson looked the lieutenant right in the eyes and told him in no uncertain terms, "I'm a gunnery sergeant, not a gunny. I don't go around callin you "louie.'"

My immediate "lesson learned" was that gunnery sergeants are not to be called "gunny." And that stuck with me: Throughout my four-year enlistment, I never addressed a gunnery sergeant in that manner. During informal discussions with other Marines, I might say "Gunny So-and-So" or "the Series Gunny" (sometimes "the Series Guns") but, again, I never addressed a gunnery sergeant as anything but gunnery sergeant.

My two cents. And I want a receipt.

Matt Brzycki
    Sergeant (1975-79)

It depends.
    Recuiters are usually trying to build a relationship with perspective poolees, so they are willing to do what it takes, including being called "Gunny."

If they refer to themselves as Gunny I will call them Gunny.
    I usually ask anyway just to make sure.

I've been told in the past: "Gunny rhymes with bunny and thats not funny."

I never heard any Gunnery Sergeant object to being called "Gunny."

It does look good on Marine to call them by their propper rank. a retired MSgt had told me she knew I was new to the fleet because i still said Gunnery Sgt. And she appreciated it a lot. But I learned my lesson cuz at boot camp when we were doin paper work this 1sgt asked me what my Recruiters name and rank was I was all proud sayin Gunny H**tt. lol and got blasted. And then talking to a Gunnery Sgt at MOS school he said he doesnt think a student status has earned the right to say gunny. So its just stuck to me. Plus I also think if a Gunnery Sgt says you can call him Gunny go for it a guess but dont assume they like it.

All the "Gunnys" and "Tops" I've ever met were proud to be referred to as such, but I certainly would respect any NCO's request to be called by his proper rank.

With my experiences you don't "rate" the term "gunny" until your in the fleet. Other than that every Gunnery sergeant in the infantry that I have met goes by Gunny. Sometimes just "Gun" to the staff NCO's. Our Master Gunnery Sergeant goes by "Master Gunz" whether your a private or a first sergeant.

Credits
    Savings
    My Gunnery Sergeant doesn't mind being called Gunny but he's also a pretty cool dude. Everyone calls him Gunny. But I would never call another Gunnery Sergeant Gunny unless he told me to do so, especially being a PFC!!

I just call them Gunny. What's the worse that could happen? They say "I am a God @#$% Gunnery Sergeant"

Then you say check, and mark it off in your book that he's a dick.

Quote Originally Posted by Achped View Post
    I just call them Gunny. What's the worse that could happen? They say "I am a God @#$% Gunnery Sergeant"

Then you say check, and mark it off in your book that he's a dick.

It depends on the tone for me. If I'm getting my ass chewed, it's "Gunnery Sergeant". Familiarity comes into play as well -- I'm much more likely to call someone I know "Gunny" than someone I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by erased View Post

It depends on the tone for me. If I'm getting my ass chewed, it's "Gunnery Sergeant". Familiarity comes into play as well -- I'm much more likely to call someone I know "Gunny" than someone I don't.

Words of a wise Marine.

I used to always tell my Marines to call me Gunny even if I am in the middle of ripping them a new one. I would tell them it's nothing personal and I would let it go after I got done. No grudges held here.

when I meet a Marine for the first time and the few subsequent times afterwards it's Gunnery Sergeant so-an-so... when we are in a closer working environment I would call them gunny or guns... but only to stream-line the conversation for work purposes.

I'm not called Staffy Petzold so why chop up a Gunnery Sgt?

as for a the original post... I think a poolee should be learning the proper rank structure for boot camp, and as far as professionalism goes... it doesn't hurt to have the other recruiters use it in front of them either.

the lax environment on the duty sets the tempo for poolees.

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post

I'm not called Staffy Petzold so why chop up a Gunnery Sgt?
    Are we not supposed to call you that Staffy?

Staffy XXXXXXX and Sargey XXXXXXX said it was ok.

Sincerely,
    Corpey Pete.

Gunnery Sergeant is to Staff Sergeant as Gunny is to Staffy.

Sarge is to Sergeant as Gay men are in the Army.... Everywhere.

We always said Gunny and the brass used it also but don't call a SSGT staff.

Credits
    Savings
    I just came back from an IST for the poolee's at my old RS and lemme tell you: they don't call any of the Marines by their rank, just their last name. I wanted to start blasting them for it! Even when I was there, I called them Sir and Ma'am. Pretty disgusting but I guess thats part of the "we're your buddies" image the recruiters portray.

Thread Information