Little nervous
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little nervous

Little nervous

Im leaving Aug 4th, and I really am a little scared about my pullups and run time.

Ive been busting my ass real hard for the past 3 weeks and can just now barely do 3 pullups and my last run time was 13:15.
    I tried working out before the 3 weeks of course (PT every week and tried to run some here and there) but i had school and working 60 hours a week (mom laid off, bills to pay)

So what happens if i slip up on one of these?
    My recruiter is telling me they just send you home, which i definately DONT want to happen.
    I dont think that ill screw up, ill just have to bust some serious ass on my run and do at least 2 pull ups, but if anyone knows better itd help me with my anxiousness

Credits
    Savings
    I believe that they send you to the PCP battalion. I forgot what it stands for but the changes of you being sent home for failure to pass the IST are slim to none to my knowledge. My recruiter told me that he personally won't let anyone leave unless they could pass the IST.

I ship out the August 17, 2009 and I think I am in good shape with the IST scores although I am worried about the PFT score. Just try to stay motivated. Do pull ups and push ups when ever you can. Do work out's that can be done with just body weight and in little time. After you get out of your bed in the morning do a work out. Middle of the day do a work out. Before going to sleep work out. This is what I do and I feel wonderful. I know everyone is different but atleast you couldn't say you didn't try.

Stay motivated.

Pcp

PCP is the Physical Conditioning Platoon or Pork chop Platoon, whatever floats your boat...

If you can't pass the initial IST I believe they send you home, no?

The GySgt at my recruiters office said that in order to ship out to bootcamp, we must be able to pass the IST, while being monitored by his commanding officer within 30 days before you leave. Not sure if that applies to other recruiting offices?? But im sure if you can pass the initial IST to ship, then i'm sure you can pass the IST in bootcamp.

I went in this morning to do the run and pullup part of the IST.

My recruiter ran with me on the IST and i got a 12:27 run time =)
    So hopefully i will be able to motivate myself just as well when crunch time comes.

On the pull up part he told me to do just the minimum, but make sure i go all the way up, come all the way down and lock my arms.

The first pull up i did fine, but the second one i lifted my legs a little.

Hopefully when i go to MEPS im not stupid and lift my legs at all, im sure i can do at least three.

It looks like ill have no problem, tomorrow is my last day of PT at my recruiting station and im working out with my recruiter tomorrow morning, he told me after tomorrow and friday to not work out anymore at all.

Why would you do the IST at MEPS? Wouldnt you do the official bootcamp IST on the island? Id be willing to bet that under pressure you'll perform better and pass that test with no problem.

At the Indianapolis MEPS you do the pullups and i believe the run, not sure about the run.

But im positive that you have to do the pullups at MEPS

In Indianapolis you do the pull-ups and crunches, not the run from what I have heard. You will do just fine as long as you can get three pull ups. The DI's are very good at motivating people from what I have heard. As long as you get that out the way, you are good to go.

If you fail your IST, I am pretty positive they send you to PCP (Physical Conditioning Platoon). You don't start actual training until you pass.

Last weekend I did an IST at what I think is a Marine only MEPS or something of the kind. That IST was for Poolees leaving in August. You again do the crunches and pull ups the Friday before you leave to boot camp. My crunches have been suffereing fro some reason but my run and pull ups are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by boblasek View Post
    Last weekend I did an IST at what I think is a Marine only MEPS or something of the kind. That IST was for Poolees leaving in August. You again do the crunches and pull ups the Friday before you leave to boot camp. My crunches have been suffereing fro some reason but my run and pull ups are fine.
    I do good on my crunches, i started out around 50, good workouts i found to get ur crunches up are 6 inches, hello dollies and flutter kicks.

i did a rotation of 15 crunches, then 15 echo count hello dollies then same with flutter kicks, then i did six inches counting up to 10 at a slow interval then back down, then i rested for 30 seconds rinsed and repeated until i couldnt move lol

I'll try to keep that in mind in my last 4 days lol

Hey Mr. Scared And Nervous

Dont worry so much about the tests, the marine corp is more then just tests. If you want to increase your pullups, then i would reccommend this program. Its called the PT PYRAMID.
    Go Up the Pyramid:
    (or half pyramid workout)

- Set/Step 1: 1 pullups/2 pushups/3 situps
    - Set/Step 2: 2 pullups/4 pushups/6 situps
    - Set/Step 3: 3 pullups/6 pushups/9 situps (Your first few set are basically a warmup)
    - Set/Step 4: 4 pullups/8 pushups/12 situps
    - Set/Step 5: 5 pullups/10 pushups/15 situps
    - Set/Step 6: 6 pullups/12 pushups/18 situps (Here is where you may fail/max out)

Go Down the Pyramid:
    (or reverse order pyramid)

- Set/Step 5: 5 pullups/10 pushups/15 situps
    - Set/Step 4: 4 pullups/8 pushups/12 situps
    - Set/Step 3: 3 pullups/6 pushups/9 situps (Finish cool down)
    - Set/Step 2: 2 pullups/4 pushups/6 situps
    - Set/Step 1: 1 pullups/2 pushups/3 situps

Other Creative Ideas:

Add: Dips to the exercises for additional triceps/shoulder burn. I usually do the same number of dips as I do pushups.
    Add: Run 100 yd. or even 1/4 mile sprints to add a challenging cardio component. These will challenge you tremendously, and you will lose your energy quickly so bring Gatorade for blood sugar/electrolyte replacement and water to drink.
    This should help, I did it and i increased my pull ups from 3 to 8, for your running, i would start running up hills with a weighted vest on.

Quote Originally Posted by cammedNslammed View Post
    The GySgt at my recruiters office said that in order to ship out to bootcamp, we must be able to pass the IST, while being monitored by his commanding officer within 30 days before you leave. Not sure if that applies to other recruiting offices?? But im sure if you can pass the initial IST to ship, then i'm sure you can pass the IST in bootcamp.
    my recuriter said that too...and the commanding officer will monitor you...i meet him in the 8th....its gonna be fun!!!!

Thread Information