C Rations 1953 - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: C Rations 1953

Credits
    Savings
    Images

!

Yep...Ham and Mother F---kers good sh-t with hot sauce lol ...

also, the john Wayne peanut butter ad crackers stuck well to the back of the heads of little gook kids ...

Quote Originally Posted by crasha51pan View Post
    Was I the only guy in country that would eat Ham & Limas or Ham & Eggs Chopped ???

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I would look to see if i got the chocolate round bar that was mostly white by then,the cigarettes you could use as shelter half stake or smoke.they had spaghetti and some had beef pattys.worked a deal with a Drill Instructor for two cases and showed my wife the fine food that we Marines got to eat,made meals from from them.she did like some of them.

Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries

Cool

I was in, in 1963 We went to Nam and had C-Rats from 1945 the same year I was born. We had Lucky Strike, Camel, Pall Mall, and Salem 4 pack of cigs. We also had beans and weenies ham, Lima beans, Chicken Boned, Chicken And noodles. Grape jelly was good with the bread as long as you mixed it well also heated it up. I brought home a can of Beans And Weenies to eat much later it exploded in my closet mad a heck of a mess.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1st Mar Div Viet Nam.jpg‎
Views:	123
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	7979  

We had some of them c rats from 1945 in Nam also..
    Never got the beanie weenies,I found something that was like beef stew ? it was great...Ham and limies were good (hot)..
    The cigaretts,no matter what brand,all tasted like menthol...
    One thing about the c rats,they realy put a traffic jam on the hershy highway.....

Quote Originally Posted by ggyoung View Post
    Hay I know this guy and he could eat a horse every meal.

I was lucky enough to to have C-Rats and MRE's. I loved the Pork slices, the Spaghetti, and the Fruit Cocktail. The MRE's were a different story. They were first generation and would clog up the pipes if you didnt use enought water. I'll take C-Rats any day. When I was on I&I Duty I kept a case in the trunk of my car. They came in handy when I was fishing. I still have my John Wayne I got while in boot camp. I kept it all these years on my key chain. It will still open cans and can still slit a jugular vein when needed.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

!

Yeah, all Nam C-Rats were from 1945 our wonderful Govt. were still overstocked so they gave us the old stuff. Fruit cocktail ... I would fight for the fruit !!!

Quote Originally Posted by txrona View Post
    I was in, in 1963 We went to Nam and had C-Rats from 1945 the same year I was born. We had Lucky Strike, Camel, Pall Mall, and Salem 4 pack of cigs. We also had beans and weenies ham, Lima beans, Chicken Boned, Chicken And noodles. Grape jelly was good with the bread as long as you mixed it well also heated it up. I brought home a can of Beans And Weenies to eat much later it exploded in my closet mad a heck of a mess.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Where I work the coffee packets ended up on backorder, so someone bought a can on the way in. Turns out there was no can opener in the breakroom so guess what? That can got opened by the John Wayne on my keychain. Still works fine, but some folks wondered what the heck it was.

Thumbs up

Beans n weenies was definitely a favorite.

The pound cake though was like havin bday cake for me lol .. I used it like a piece of bread with my main meal what ever it was.

Even though it eventually would plug up the toughest plumbing, I think that was the point lol ... One less **** hole to dig.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    Where I work the coffee packets ended up on backorder, so someone bought a can on the way in. Turns out there was no can opener in the breakroom so guess what? That can got opened by the John Wayne on my keychain. Still works fine, but some folks wondered what the heck it was.
    I know what you mean sparkie,I keep the same P-38 (can opener) from Vietnam on my key chain and use it often in hunting season.It's surprising how many civilian's don't know what a P-38 is and are amazed how sharp they are.The original P-38 are hard to find,places like cheaper than dirt sells a reproduction ,but aren't the same quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Skosh59 View Post
    Damn! How did you make it? I did about two weeks & can't remember ever making a head call. I think my butt was clogged with cement.
    C-rats will keep you alive and we were pretty creative about making them eatable .The coffee was a good laxative and the mini sweet roll (toilet paper) was a necessity along with the P-38.Marines do what they've always done, improvise!

S/F,

Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries

Smile

I still have my P-38 From Viet Nam 1965 issue still sharp. Also I carry mine on my key chain never know when you will need it, 1945 C-Rats were good when you are hungry you will eat them, they will make a t**d.

Reading posts about the P-38. I also had one, made me curious so I went out to the garage and dug up a old key chain and there she was. Had to tape the blade closed cause it was opening in my pocket and yes, the blade was still sharp. Pulled her off that chain and she now has an honored place back on my new key chain.
    Makes me wonder how many VNV still carry their P-38's....

SEMPER FI !

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by crasha51pan View Post
    Reading posts about the P-38. I also had one, made me curious so I went out to the garage and dug up a old key chain and there she was. Had to tape the blade closed cause it was opening in my pocket and yes, the blade was still sharp. Pulled her off that chain and she now has an honored place back on my new key chain.
    Makes me wonder how many VNV still carry their P-38's....

SEMPER FI !

Don't carry one full time any more, but I have several still tucked away. Gave one to my oldest daughter for her dog tag chain. She gets asked all of time what the heck it is, even by chief master sergeants and colonels.

Oh, God, do I feel old sometimes.

We had C- Rats in 68 at Khe Sahn for a month usually only 2 a day a great way to lose weight especially in 120 degree heat. Being the NCOIC of my section I uaualyy distributed the C- Rats every day sooooo being last to pick I usually ended up with ham and limas. Seeing as I liked lima beans and I had a large supply of hot sauce ity wasn't to bad. Never could stand the trukey loaf. If you were constipated you ate the peanut butter. If you had the runs the cheese would usually cure it and then you had to have another tin of peanut butter.
    Semper fi
    Jack

Thread Information