Walter Cronkite dies at 92 - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    no... sorry.

I'm retarded... seriously... I meant Ed Freeman, but I see Palmer around here so much I wrote his name down...

I appologize for the mis-understanding this caused anyone.

"Life" Trumps "Speech"

Quote Originally Posted by Alisium View Post
    Good riddance!
    When this thread was first posted I wanted to reply much as Alisium (above) did. Not until now have I found another post from a blogger name Robert Hall that zeros in on my feelings about the man and those times:

Walter Cronkite Dies
    A great, highly-experienced military commander and strategist, I understand. Must have been. His pronouncement that the war in Vietnam was lost, led to a loss of public support for the war. That created the political environment where the Democrat-controlled US Congress could break our treaty obligations and eliminate promised financial support for South Vietnam. Which led to the fall of that country, as you can’t fight tanks, planes and bullets with empty hands. Which led to twice as many people in SE Asia being murdered by the Communists in the first two years after the war ended, as died in the course of the war, and a one-party government that doesn’t allow freedom of the press, freedom of speech or freedom of religion, and has been steadily exterminating the Montagnard hill peoples. Thanks Uncle Walter, the most trusted man in America. May you now be paying for the slaughter you did so much to help create.

And we wonder why pre-democracy folks in the Middle East don’t trust America to keep its pledges and stand by them?

I believe now, as I did 40 years ago, that when US troops are in the field and giving their lives every day in pursuit of a US objective, that anyone who in any way gives help and comfort to their enemies is something worse than a traitor. Makes no difference what the national objective is, or whether or not the "purists" in our society decide whether or not it is a "just" or "unjust" war.
    My Brothers who are in the field deserve all of the respect and support that may be given to them by the US government and public.

We were in Viet Nam, just as we are now in Iraq and Afghanistan, carrying out objectives that were established by the officials we elected to the Presidency and the Congress. Criticism of the objective, IMHO, must wait until all of our troops are safe and out of the field of combat. Then if the Powers-That-Be decide that the Constitution should be changed to preclude involvement in that particular type of struggle, so be it. If it is decided that POTUS or others exceeded their authority, then impeach and convict them of that crime, and remove them from office.

Until the foregoing events occur, every citizen of this great nation, and those we elect to lead us in attaining national objectives, must give up his.her right to freedom of speech if by exercising that right he endangers our Brothers fighting and sacrificing their lives to achieve those national objectives.

In other words, the argument comes down to this: Are any rights granted by our Constitution superior to those of the cardinal right that our Soldiers have of the "Right To Life?. Does anyone question that Life trumps Speech each and every time? Let those who ignore this, the Fondas and Cronkites of this society, suffer the consequences. Semper Fidelis, Sully

Well put, Shrink. Instead of reporting the almost total annihilation of the Viet Cong as a fighting force in the South thanks to American troops during TET 68, Conkrite's liberal point of view got in the way and paved the way for our leaving a few years later. An American icon - I don't think so.

Credits
    Savings
    Walter Concrete.....an arrogant blockhead that won't be missed by me.

Excellent point Sully !!

Semper Fi

Thread Information