Walter Cronkite dies at 92 - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I stand correct, the 17th two shots!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    you guys are fvcked up... Micheal I can understand, but the man wasn't some satanic news anchor... he reported it the way HE saw it. Micheal tried to kill his son... and probably those kids who tattled on him in court....
    Here we go, Petzold.

YOU are fvcked up!!!

I send condolences to his family, but cronkite was an aszhole, fonda loving, sheitheead, McNamara loving, no good sumbish.

Pezwold, as you like to say, 'butt out'.

So butt the **** out boot!!!

When the time comes, I will **** on his fvcking grave!!!

petro and cronkinite have a few things in common. cronkinite thought we lost the War, but we didn't, and petro thinks he knows it all. boots don't know nothin. I send condolences to the Family too, as I wouldn't have wanted to be in it.

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    WHO??....I was, and still am...a Howard K. Smith fan. He swung more to the right, and so did his son...RIP. GOOD MEN?? They tried......DOC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnEaceHunt View Post
    petro and cronkinite have a few things in common. cronkinite thought we lost the War, but we didn't, and petro thinks he knows it all. boots don't know nothin. I send condolences to the Family too, as I wouldn't have wanted to be in it.

I just said be respectful.... not that I know it all... and I really don't know you, so you calling me petro... knock it off.

boots don't know nothin
    Define boot, is it time in service, age, rank, work experience, life experience. Just a bit confused here. There are a lot of us on here who only know Cronkite as the man on the news after the local news.

Quote Originally Posted by temarti View Post
    Define boot, is it time in service, age, rank, work experience, life experience. Just a bit confused here.
    What a Boot thing to say.

Haha, then I have succeeded

Time in service, Time in grade, rank, time in unit, time in country, social standing, etc.
    It is really difficult to explain when a Marine stops being a Boot.

What people forget is that no matter how senior you think you may be, you are always a Boot to someone else.

So, we are boots to the Cronkite era

well, I'm apparently a boot to a Cpl... so yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    well, I'm apparently a boot to a Cpl... so yeah.
    Age counts for something when you have as many years as some of the salts on here.

News is supposed to be about presenting facts.
    The way an individual sees something is an opinion.
    What he presented in Viet Nam was a personal opinion that swayed the American public.
    He was the forerunner of the biased media.

I am indifferent to his death.
    There are far better men that deserve recognition.

The Pentagon Papers

Page 9

On May 8 1950 Washington announced that it would provide economic and military aid to the French in Indochina, beginning with a grant of $10-million.

The first step had been taken. “The U.S. thereafter was directly involved in the developing tragedy in Vietnam,” the account says. Ultimately, the American military aid program reached $1.1-billion in 1954, paying for 78 per cent of the French war burden.

10 years later …..

In August 1964 the Gulf of Tonkin incident occurred, or at least, so the American public was told. “While on routine patrol in international waters,” it was announced from Washington, “the U.S. destroyer Maddox underwent an unprovoked attack.” An invisible enemy vessel, it seemed, had fired an invisible torpedo, which obviously missed the Maddox. Shortly afterwards a similar incident took place involving another U.S. naval vessel.

Johnson soundly denounced this “open aggression.” He appeared in national television to inform the American citizenry that “renewed hostile actions against United States ships on the high seas in the Gulf of Tonkin have today required me to order the military forces of the United States to take action in reply.” Congressional leaders of both parties, he said, had assured him of passage of a resolution making it clear “that our government is united in its determination to take all necessary measures in support of freedom and in defense of peace in Southeast Asia.”

The Gulf of Tonkin resolution passed on August 7 1964. Promptly following the congressional resolution, American planes began their first bombardment of North Vietnam. In 1965 more than 200,000 American troops poured into South Vietnam.

Pentagon Papers

Pentagon Papers, government study of U.S. involvement in Southeast Asia. Commissioned by Secretary of Defense Robert S. McNamara in June, 1967, the 47-volume, top secret study covered the period from World War II to May, 1968. It was written by a team of analysts who had access to classified documents, and was completed in Jan., 1969. The study revealed a considerable degree of miscalculation, bureaucratic arrogance, and deception on the part of U.S. policymakers. In particular, it found that the U.S. government had continually resisted full disclosure of increasing military involvement in Southeast Asia—air strikes over Laos, raids along the coast of North Vietnam, and offensive actions by U.S. marines had taken place long before the American public was informed. On June 13, 1971, the New York Times began publishing a series of articles based on the study. The Justice Dept. obtained a court injunction against further publication on national security grounds, but the Supreme Court ruled (June 30) that constitutional guarantees of a free press overrode other considerations, and allowed further publication. The government indicted (1971) Daniel Ellsberg, a former government employee who made the Pentagon Papers available to the New York Times, and Anthony J. Russo on charges of espionage, theft, and conspiracy. On May 11, 1973, a federal court judge dismissed all charges against them because of improper government conduct.

http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/history/A0838198.html

Thread Information