Once a Marine, Always a Marine, but...
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Once a Marine, Always a Marine, but...

I was entertaining the thought of re-enlisting, BUT in the National Guard. I heard some radio ads about getting up to $50K for student loan repayment. God knows I could use that money!

I was thinking to myself, that would be a pretty good incentive to sit on my ass and play soldier. No disrespect to National Gaurdsmen (they've done their duty too), but will I lose all my dignity for joining the ranks of these slobby, overweight and clueless weekend warriors?

Why can't the Marines offer incentives like this? Plus, at this point in my life, I'm more interested in maybe becoming a Warrant Officer and going to Grad school, perhaps the Natl Guard is my best option.

What are your guys' thoughts on this?

The Marine Corps doesn't have to offer those incentives because the chance to be a Marine is better then anything money can buy. Within reason.

Look - they recently tried to bring the USMC up to 202k and they went to 204k - why is that, because we are the world finest, and good, qualified bodies weren't hard to find. Recruting isn't an issue when you are the best -- oh, and the economy doesn't hurt.

You should be able to hang out with ANYONE and not lose your dignity.

It's about you, not them. What are your standards, or do you have any?

Keep your standards high and don't worry about the rest.

Just my thoughts, this morning....

In your post you say "Why can't the Marines offer incentives like this?"

Then prior to that you say "I was thinking to myself, that would be a pretty good incentive to sit on my ass and play soldier."

And you go on to say "but will I lose all my dignity for joining the ranks of these slobby, overweight and clueless weekend warriors?"

Perhaps you have answered your own questions. By the way, isnt that what *****s do ?

Sgt., in the end you'll always be a Marine. You've done your time, so if what you need is that college loan repayment money and you believe it is the best choice for you, then I think you should do it.

This is totally your choice to make and yours alone. That is a very good incentive to furture your education. No one can hold that against you.

I have worked alongside some Guardsmen when I was over in Afghanistan. We conducted a raid with them right before they pulled out of country. I was surprised by the way they conducted themselves. Very professional and they worked good as a small unit.

As for you loosing your dignity..... thats up to you and how you conduct yourself. You will always be a Marine. If you keep your standards at the Marine Corps level (at a minimum), you will stand out in the crowd. If you blend in to your surroundings, then you have lowered your standards and have become just another guardsman.

Seems pretty tight. I didn't quite follow tripdogs post, but like you said once a Marine, Always.....
    Just one who went for the cash, and with the economy, I don't think anyone can blame you. Gotta think about the chances of deploying, the regular pay scales, training scheds, all that stuff too though, not just the bonus. if you have loans to pay off, Im sure that 50k won't last long. I don't really know much info about the NG though, so, can't really tell you anything else.

MD8724 what I said was, Marines NEVER forget they are the best. It would be hard for this person to do what he is asking, IMO. And they also reinforce that with the very statements that they make. Why would you , in his words, lower yourself from Marine status to what they describe, simply for money? Is that all to life? Money?

He never mentioned he wouldn't ever come back into the Marine Corps.

Good friend of mine got turned down for the WO program 3 yrs in a row. On his next EAS, went over to the Army and became a WO. He went on to become an Apache pilot. At CWO4, he decided he didn't want to retire from the Army. So he submitted his paper work and came back into the Marines. Later after picking up CWO5, he finally figured it was time to retire and have a Marine Corps Retired ID. He did what he needed to better himself and his families way of life.

Short story but since this Marine never mentioned not coming back in, we can't rule that option out.

I hope it didn't come across like I think taking the loot is wrong. A man has to feed his family and too each his own. My whole point on that issue is that I don't think the Marine Corps has to offer monetary incentives, or at least not much to entry level people.

I'm all for them throwing good money/incentives at good people when it's time for reenlistment, not that we have to, but sometimes you have to pay a premium to keep well trained talent.

Good luck.

Hey Guys, thanks for the prompt feedback. I knew I would get some hard-chargers in here! I always told myself that if I was ever going to come back, I would only do it as a Marine.

But after I graduated college, I was turned down for OCS a total of 3 times due to a technicallity. So I figured, since the Corps didn't want me, why shouldn't I should shop around.

True, I would love to come back and be a WO in the Corps, but I just foresee a lot of more struggles, and without the incentives. The way I see it, I am just like a free agent, shopping around for the best deal.

I guess it depends on where you are in life and what you want to accomplish, you have to make the best decision for you and your future. The Corp was the best decision for me 10yrs ago, but it may not be right now.

The story that KawiGunny shared was pretty interesting, thanks for sharing. I could see myself doing that too.

You have to do whats best for you. That's what everyone has told me and it really does make alot of sense.

You can spout off about being the best and elite and all that trash (which we know is garbage anyway, anyone can be forced to police call and scrub toilets) but in the end its about whats best in the long run, and the hooah branch has better offers.

Being a Sgt spouting off Honor, Courage, and Committment won't pay the bills as well as being a CWO saying hooah will. Thats how I look at it, and there is no loss in dignity for going to the guard. Its not like you're joining the Taliban, holy ****...

Quote Originally Posted by phatso2e View Post
    Hey Guys, thanks for the prompt feedback. I knew I would get some hard-chargers in here! I always told myself that if I was ever going to come back, I would only do it as a Marine.

But after I graduated college, I was turned down for OCS a total of 3 times due to a technicallity. So I figured, since the Corps didn't want me, why shouldn't I should shop around.

True, I would love to come back and be a WO in the Corps, but I just foresee a lot of more struggles, and without the incentives. The way I see it, I am just like a free agent, shopping around for the best deal.

I guess it depends on where you are in life and what you want to accomplish, you have to make the best decision for you and your future. The Corp was the best decision for me 10yrs ago, but it may not be right now.

The story that KawiGunny shared was pretty interesting, thanks for sharing. I could see myself doing that too.
    the national guard has a special responsibility... they protect America within our boarders... the AD military can not as the president would have too much "power" to threaten a state to do what he wants...

so, the guard needs good officers, your TIS will jump you up to about 5,000 a month pretty quick... and the money to pay off your tuition is great... you just need to give them I think 4 years... I am trying to get my brother to join the guard to help pay for HIS 50,000 dollars of school but he needs to lose 50 lbs before he could even possibly ship....

I think achped said it pretty good, do what's best for you. You'll always be a Marine, and what's great is that you'll be able to bring that to your unit!

Credits
    Savings
    Youre always a Marine.
    Perhaps you can impart some wisdom

You have to do what is best for YOU. College isn't cheap, and in todays world, unless you want to bust your azz, you need that college degree. But also, a college degree is no guarantee you will be successful. I have a college education and drive a redi-mix truck for a living. Plain and simple. As a marine you can bring your experience, military bereing, and dedication to country, to the National Guard. With your Marine training you should rise quickly in the ranks, and maybe teach the week-end Rambos the meaning of teamwork. As well as get the Gov to bankroll your future. SF

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'll still love you in the mornin,,,,,,LOL.

Thread Information