Question... Explosive Ordnance Disposal
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question... Explosive Ordnance Disposal

Hello Sirs, This is my first post, and I made sure I did a search before I posted this new topic. I have wanted to be a Marines since I was 12, and the time to sign up is finally here... I recently saw the movie "The Hurt Locker" and thought that being an EOD Marine would be awesome.. There was one thread already posted on this but it was a few months ago and there wasn't many replies.. Anyways, I know that they usually only consider volunteers that are NCO's and more around the rank of a Sergeant, and that you can't sign up with an EOD MOS, but that you need to make a lat move into it. Is there a certain mos that would be a good idea to sign up with that would make it easier to make the lat move into EOD? Like infantry? engineering? I wasn't quite sure, so I thought I would ask..
    Thanks in advance for your replies...

I know some 1371's (Combat Engineers) have successfully lat moved into EOD. Aviation and ground ordnance as well as ammo technician are good bets too.

There's not really any specific MOS that can help you. About the only thing that can help you is being in a combat arms MOS before you think about the lateral move. However, do not choose an MOS because you think it will help you reach EOD. Your concentration needs to be on the job that you have at that point in time, and if you choose an MOS that you don't think you'll like, then your concentration will be else where.

You think EOD is 'cool' now, wait until you get up close to an actual bomb and you have to tamper with it- you will sh!t yourself. Do you know what the life expectancy of an EOD tech is?

Food for thought.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for all the replies!
    I hadn't really thought of it the way that you said it, that I need to pick an MOS I like so that I can do the best at it. Thank you
    And actually you make a good point, but I don't know what the average life expectancy is of an EOD tech, but if you could tell me that'd be great

Quote Originally Posted by commdog7 View Post
    You think EOD is 'cool' now, wait until you get up close to an actual bomb and you have to tamper with it- you will sh!t yourself. Do you know what the life expectancy of an EOD tech is?

Food for thought.
    Probably about the same as a Marine Grunt in Nam.

why is this even being considered as a real question? EOD is not for boots, you need to be a senior Cpl or Sgt to lat Move into the field (they take SSgts but only if they get selected after being accepted for lat move)

... you need to worry more about what you WANT to do and hope you can be a senior Cpl or Sgt at the end of your first contract.

it's nice that you're planning ahead, but maybe you should be thinking about more immediate issues... like the job you'd do that could influence your choice of STAYING in the Corps... combat MOSs play LOTS of games and you may not like them and decide to get out.

The life expectancy for a radio operator is 9 seconds... that's probably how much it is for EOD as well.

EOD is a critical field, they are looking for as many Marines as possible to lat move. For each Marine that gets their limbs blown off or killed in that mos, they need another Marine to replace them. Why do you think the bonus is so high for that mos?

I'm not trying to steer you away from that mos, but I do hope that you will understand what you are getting yourself into.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Every combat experienced EOD tech I knew in the Corps was missing a part of something. Fingers, toes, their mind.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    why is this even being considered as a real question? EOD is not for boots, you need to be a senior Cpl or Sgt to lat Move into the field (they take SSgts but only if they get selected after being accepted for lat move)

... you need to worry more about what you WANT to do and hope you can be a senior Cpl or Sgt at the end of your first contract.

it's nice that you're planning ahead, but maybe you should be thinking about more immediate issues... like the job you'd do that could influence your choice of STAYING in the Corps... combat MOSs play LOTS of games and you may not like them and decide to get out.
    I just like to be informed. I stated above that I knew that I had to be in for a few years and become a Sgt to even be considered to move into the EOD field. Before I sign up I would like to know as much information as I can. My apologies if you feel that I have wasted your time by not asking a serious question. One more question... If I took a combat MOS, it would probably be infantry. But what kind of games do they play exactly? Any examples? Just trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by commdog7 View Post
    The life expectancy for a radio operator is 9 seconds... that's probably how much it is for EOD as well.

EOD is a critical field, they are looking for as many Marines as possible to lat move. For each Marine that gets their limbs blown off or killed in that mos, they need another Marine to replace them. Why do you think the bonus is so high for that mos?

I'm not trying to steer you away from that mos, but I do hope that you will understand what you are getting yourself into.
    Thanks for your reply, that is definitely something to consider. I would need to be 100% sure I knew what I would be getting myself into.

Be a 2311 ammo tech. That will work you up for EOD.

On a side note, I watched a SSgt blow himself up, and blow up another SSgt. The first SSgt died on site, the second SSgt lost his arm and somehow got it reattached. This was during a training evolution. Left a wife and 2 kids at home. Think about it.

Games we grunts play? Well you're just going to have to find out for yourself.

As for EOD, that's what I plan to lat move to after this next deployment. And on a somewhat relevant topic, the movie "The Hurt Locker" is about Army EOD in Iraq, more like a hotshot who just doesn't give two sh!ts because it's the job he loves, but he is reckless. He does some brash things, but when you think rationally, what's the harm in taking the suit off if it won't help a damn bit if it goes off but will hinder you from working faster if you keep it one. That type of sh!t. Holywood, entertainment, but EOD nontheless.

jakeT13 ".....One more question... If I took a combat MOS, it would probably be infantry. But what kind of games do they play exactly? Any examples? Just trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks"

Just find BigAlHolmes and ask him about broomsticks! He'll fill you in!!

But what kind of games do they play exactly? Any examples? Just trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks
    Bull in the ring
    Quarters
    Spades
    Hearts
    Blackjack
    Chess
    Checkers
    War Ball
    Full contact Basketball
    Smear the Queer
    Lay the fattest bytch

Then there are those of us who have Xbox or Sony et al

Lot's of games.

PFC slug... do you mean to say contract or are you really thinking that you can lat move into EOD as a PFC/LCpl at the end of this next deployment?

Jake... I'm glad you're asking better questions that have to do with your first enlistment. The games I was referring to are the ones that they play in boot camp... they continue for quite some time until you prove yourself in the 03 field. If you go in knowing it's not a rose garden then you should be fine... don't think it'll be a 9 to 5 job in the grunts.

Thread Information