Saluting folded flag? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You do not salute it every time you pass the flag pole.
    I was told you salute the flag when you pass.

I think Kill was refering to the color guard passing in the morning on the way to raise colors. In that case I would say yes you salute as the color guard passes. SF

I think I've found a suitable answer to this debate, thanks to input from you guys and from SNCO's and a WO in my unit.

There is no order to salute a folded ensign. The MCOs specifically states when to salute, and saluting a folded ensign is not part of them.

BUT: You are a Marine. Saluting is and has always been a way to show respect. If a fellow enlisted Marine jumps on a grenade to save our fire team, I have every right to salute him, EVEN though he doesn't rate a salute as per the MCOs.

HENCE: Saluting a folded flag may not be an order, but it is a sign of respect nonetheless, and when you are saluting the flag, you are not just saluting cotton and polyester stitched to represent our nation. You are saluting all of the men, women, children, Devil Dogs, sailors, soldiers, coasties, and airmen that died for each other, their fellow Americans, and their country. You are paying your respects for those that came before you. You are acknowledging their joint sacrifices in a manner such that you take a second out of your day to remember.

In conclusion: You don't have to salute, just as you're not required to be heroic or brave. You're not required to drink and raise hell at the local bar. You're not required to instill a sense of respect for the armed forces in the civilians you meet, but guess what? You're a Marine, and it's expected.
    - Rich

It's just in my gut

Quote Originally Posted by KillKittens View Post
    I think I've found a suitable answer to this debate, thanks to input from you guys and from SNCO's and a WO in my unit.

There is no order to salute a folded ensign. The MCOs specifically states when to salute, and saluting a folded ensign is not part of them.

BUT: You are a Marine. Saluting is and has always been a way to show respect. If a fellow enlisted Marine jumps on a grenade to save our fire team, I have every right to salute him, EVEN though he doesn't rate a salute as per the MCOs.

HENCE: Saluting a folded flag may not be an order, but it is a sign of respect nonetheless, and when you are saluting the flag, you are not just saluting cotton and polyester stitched to represent our nation. You are saluting all of the men, women, children, Devil Dogs, sailors, soldiers, coasties, and airmen that died for each other, their fellow Americans, and their country. You are paying your respects for those that came before you. You are acknowledging their joint sacrifices in a manner such that you take a second out of your day to remember.

In conclusion: You don't have to salute, just as you're not required to be heroic or brave. You're not required to drink and raise hell at the local bar. You're not required to instill a sense of respect for the armed forces in the civilians you meet, but guess what? You're a Marine, and it's expected.
    - Rich

I'm smelling something isn't right here....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    A furled flag is out of service,,,,,,Unless it is being presented at a funeral. Then it is stand at attention, unless you are presenting. After presenting,,,,, the presenter salutes. You stand at attention if you are not presenting. Otherwise, a furled flag is not in service. You do not salute. Always salute a flag on duty. When it passes,,,,not when you pass. Any more questions?

yes, sparkie... good way of explaining it. the Marines/service members in the parade don't salute the ensign, those it is passing are saluting it. It is present arms/hand salute when in formation. and I really don't know where I'm going with this... as this topic has been covered completely... I think I'm just dragging it on like you all drag on some of these other lame,dead-ass threads.....

oh and PFC, if you ever talk to a SNCO like you're best buddies with them like that again I'll find out who your Plt Sgt is and let him know you think his rank doesn't mean sh!t.

Long and the short, like most of the Marines of way more experience and knowledge have already said. Who cares if there's an order, salute your nation's pride. Dead thread.
    - Rich

so I have less knowledge and experience???! are you at MRP or something?!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote:
    You do not salute it every time you pass the flag pole.

Quote Originally Posted by MLMonk View Post
    I was told you salute the flag when you pass.

Correct. ONTOS66 was off on that statement. Unless you are well away from the flagpole, when you pass within a reasonable distance ( 6 pace rule ) you do salute.

SFi
    C

you only do it once each morning and afternoon..... if you do it during colors and taps you're set, this is why you don't usually salute it 900 times a day.

No, ONTOS66 WAS NOT OFF .. read the quote. I said YOU DO NOT salute the flag pole every time you pass it. No requirement in any reg. I don't give a rats ass if some poser has his own opinion or interpretation on the matter.

Since the original question was do you salute a folded flag. NO. I'm sure someone will have a difference of opinion, and there are all sorts of what ifs, but the answer to the question as stated is NO.

In doubt, check appropriate MCO. All else is bar room bs.

We salute the folded flag on funeral details so yes you do.

The only thing I have to say about saluting is, when i was on active duty, the Bn Hq Had a National ensign and the unit colors flying outside the front hatch, if you got caught not saluting upon entering and leaving you were handed your ass!

Maurice

Another thing to add to the argument of you do salute: in a retirement ceremony and the folded flag is passed through the ranks, they all salute the flag before and after holding it.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Thread Information