Leather Shoes
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leather Shoes

Leather Shoes

I know you Old Salts know all about these but I'm wondering if there are any other Marines that are Active Duty that go with the normal leather shoes option. I'm tired of having to buy a pair of inspection shoes everytime an inspection comes up. Yeah the surface stuff on corframs comes right out, but when you get those deep gouges it scuffs them and it can't be removed, (believe me I tried everything).

So I looked at P1020.34G and found out that leather shoes shined to a semi-gloss are still allowed and now if I go to a Ball or scuff my shoes, I can spend an hour and some elbow grease and get all the scuffs out of them

Anyone else crazy like me? I just think its a cheaper and more viable option than damaging corframs everytime I wear them. I'm keeping a good pair of corframs for super special times and such but I think I got these leather babies spitshined up nice and good.

Do they even sell them anymore?

We were issued the leathers in recruit training (1996) but i don't think they lasted much beyond that. Around 1998 all they issued was corframs.

It's a good idea though. You can spend a year wearing corframs and have nothing go wrong. And you can put them on right out of the box, trip and fukc up the pair within the first five minutes and there ain't no real repair for that.

Believe it or not, they do. Bates makes a regular leather dress shoe. I bought mine at the MCX. They aren't plentiful though from what I saw.

I dunno, At times I think that super gloss is a bit tacky but thats just me.

Here was an "In Work" photo when I was done with my first shine session a month ago. Once a month I put on some movies, break out my shoes and WW2 Boots (Corcorans, and a pair of modern dress shoes that look close to the old ones) and shine them. Naturally I gotta keep my brown and black polishes/tools separate

Which PX did you go to?

I shine my civilian shoes. Sketchers. Spit shining is a meditative process.

Here at Miramar.

I would want to say others have them too

In the Old Corps (ca. 1953-62) our leather shoes (other than boots and boondockers) had to have FAR more than just a semi-gloss. Have to wonder if anyone under the age of 45 even gets how to do a so-called "spit-shine" (which those more in the know never did with spit, at all).
    Anyone ?

Well sir my methodology is to take the shoe and clean it, I was told there is some sort of protective coating on the leather and it'll make your shine not stick well, so I soap and scuz brush it.

Then its the base layer which is the biggest pain, trying to get a good foundation so I can build up on it. Thats simple apply polish, let dry, buff out with buffing brush.

Then we get to the fun part with water and a soft cloth. Super light layers with water interspersed and slowly circle buffed in.

Yeah its time consuming but it works and works well. My Corcorans are the shiniest brown I've ever seen. It just stinks that I also end up wearing them in the field and I have to clean, repolish and fill in the deep cuts.. I'll probably buy another pair for field use.

Quite possibly only a few remember a certain polish, a lighter, a smooth animal bone, a water-moistened diaper, and an ice cube... All for making "mirrors" of leather, Marines !

I've used a lighter to melt the polish onto the top of my boots.

I pretty much do/did what GIrene does. I make mirrors.

I wonder how many hundred of thousands KIWI lost in shoe polish sales over last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by skipper72 View Post
    Quite possibly only a few remember a certain polish, a lighter, a smooth animal bone, a water-moistened diaper, and an ice cube... All for making "mirrors" of leather, Marines !
    Its all fine and dandy but as soon as some Marine comes around the corner of the hallway and steps on your foot, your mirror is cracked.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersquishy View Post
    I wonder how many hundred of thousands KIWI lost in shoe polish sales over last few years.
    They didn't sit around and die but expanded their line to include more waterproofing products. I've used them all trying to stay dry here in the PacNW

--->Dave

Didn't happen in 9 years, Marine !

Quote Originally Posted by Supersquishy View Post
    Its all fine and dandy but as soon as some Marine comes around the corner of the hallway and steps on your foot, your mirror is cracked.

I only get "stepped-on" in online forums when, obviously, I do not "shine!"

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If I were still in, I'd probably have to opt to wear regular leather oxfords for daily use. Corfam shoes don't breathe like leather and I get terrible foot problems. I know how to put a shine on those babies, combat boots too. No semi-gloss shines.

Taught my technique to my oldest daughter and she is always getting compliments on her shoes and boots in the AF Reserve (she still wears the old black boots as she hasn't been issued the new AF utility uniform yet). She can knock out a shine that almost rivals mine.

Remember when we had to also spit shine the bills of our barracks covers?

Roger that!

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    Remember when we had to also spit shine the bills of our barracks covers?

Also the "frog" and other leather on sword gear. In fact, ALL leather !

Thread Information