Same time, same place: siblings dine together weekly in Iraq
Create Post

Exclamation Same time, same place: siblings dine together weekly in Iraq

AL ASAD AIR BASE, Iraq —When Gunnery Sgt. Amber Beegle received orders to deploy to Iraq, she had no idea she would be working just a few miles away from her younger brother, Sgt. James Ihle, an aviation ordnance system technician with Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 26.
    “My brother informed me that he was also going to Iraq about two months before we left,” said Beegle. “I was really happy since he just finished his re-enlistment package, and I knew he wanted to deploy.”

What the Ocala, Fla., natives couldn’t have predicted, however, was a surprise meeting at Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, N.C., while awaiting a flight to the exact same destination – Al Asad Air Base, Iraq.

“The Marines with [II Marine Expeditionary Force (Forward)] were on one side of the waiting area and the Marines from MALS-26 were on the other side,” recalled Beegle. “We never imagined that we would leave the same day and be sitting at the [aerial port of embarkation/debarkation] in Cherry Point.”

Ihle arrived on Al Asad one day before Beegle in January 2009. After getting settled into their respective work routines, they have made it a point to get together on a regular basis.

“We have dinner about once a week,” said Beegle. “It’s really nice to be out here with my brother.”

Beegle enlisted in the Marine Corps 15 years ago, and has worked maintenance management jobs in North Carolina, South Carolina and Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. After serving on the drill field at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, S.C., from 2001 to 2004, Beegle worked at the Marine Corps Engineer School on Camp Lejeune, N.C., and concentrated on spending time with her husband, 1st Sgt. Jeffery Beegle, the company first sergeant of Headquarters Company, 2nd Marine Regiment, and three young children.

In August 2007, Beegle joined II MEF as a maintenance management chief. Now serving in a combat environment, Beegle creates and maintains databases to track equipment as Coalition forces responsibly drawdown equipment.

Ihle said his sister’s service and success inspired him to join the Marines in 2005. Like his sister, Ihle has been very successful for the past four and a half years, earning a meritorious promotion to lance corporal in 2005, becoming a Marine Corps Martial Arts Program brown belt instructor and getting an opportunity to go to jump school at Fort Benning, Ga., after completing his tour of duty in Iraq.

Ihle said he looks forward to meeting up with his sister every week because he can relax and be himself.

“It’s a nice taste of home,” said Ihle.

Master Sgt. Richard Medal, the theater-provided equipment staff noncommissioned officer-in-charge with MNF-W, has worked with Beegle for over a year and got to meet Ihle in January. Medal said the weekly gatherings have been a morale boost for the siblings.

“It’s nice to see them together,” said Medal. “They’re really close, and they can have fun, joke around and be a family.”

Reneé Ihle, the sibling’s mother, said it was a special opportunity for her children to deploy together and knows they will be alright because they have each other.

“I consider it a blessing that they’re [in Iraq] together,” said Renee Ihle. “I couldn’t be a more proud parent.”

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	090623-M-2360J-006.jpg‎
Views:	744
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	7652  

Thread Information