Visiting Camp Lejeune - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy009 View Post
    If you don't have a reason other than you just want to drive around I'm not to sure they will let you on.
    I don't want to sound like an A**hole, but I hope for security reasons they don't.
    I do know a few of the MP's and they do pull-out there weapons....

Ellie

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    WELL...Ellie....someone has to keep guard of the SWAMP!!!.....DOC

Quote Originally Posted by msp2503 View Post
    Hi All,

I am going to be in the North Carolina shore area in September and wanted to visit my old base. I called the public relations office at Camp Lejeune and the spoke to a civilian who advised me that I would absolutely not be allowed on the base without an ID card? Just wondering of this is true and if there is any way I could try and access the base for a visit to bring old-fond memories?

Thanks id advance!
    I assume by PR you mean the Public Affairs office?

September is a bit far for them to actually plan, so perhaps wait till it's a bit closer in August. I'd call them back and just tell them you'd like to visit and call it a small tour group (you and your family or friends). Be polite, and try to catch one of the Marines.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    CLNC has a self guided tour...it takes you in your POV around the whole base and the town of Jacksonville....to the Beirut Memorial/Vietnam Memorial Park.

You will need a visitors pass to go on this tour.....a map is availabe at the front gate.

And the requirements are the same as stated above.

I Went To Jacksonville 2 Yrs Ago An Got On The Base. My Oldest Little Girl Was Born At The Naval Hospital In 2002 And We Got Pictures There An Went Out To Onslow Beach And Into Midway Park Without A Sponsor

Grumpy I don't know why you think that way. I was always told once a Marine always a Marine. I served 9 years <58-67> in the Corps and feel I have every right as a retired Marine has to visit an old duty station.

Last edited by cw2533; 07-02-09 at 03:23 PM. Reason: add more info

Quote Originally Posted by cw2533 View Post
    Grumpy I don't know why you think that way. I was always told once a Marine always a Marine. I served 9 years <58-67> in the Corps and feel I have every right as a retired Marine has to visit an old duty station.
    It has nothing to do with you personally. It has everthing to do with the security or the lack of it I see everytime I go aboard both Cherry Point and Camp Lejeune. I see more security prceedures followed at the PX from the civillian clerts checking my ID card. You should have no problems, enjoy your visit.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I Went To Jacksonville 2 Yrs Ago An Got On The Base. My Oldest Little Girl Was Born At The Naval Hospital In 2002 And We Got Pictures There An Went Out To Onslow Beach And Into Midway Park Without A Sponsor
    You asked probally for the original pass to the Naval hospital. Onslow Beach and base housing are restricted without a sponsor. Unless Onslow Beach is open to the public for an event.

You kept your nose clean and gave the police no reason to stop and ask your business.

I frequently use Onslow Beach campgrounds when in coastal NC and have my daughters and granddaughter come visit to use the beach. Since they no longer have dependent privleges...when they come aboard the base I have to sponsor them on to use the beach and then I say for long I want the pass for...usally a couple days so I don't have to go up to the main gate but once.

I know allot of Marines in Jacksonville...but none that live in military housing. To keep vandalism and theft to a minimum...one must have a sponsor to enter or have business in that area.I lived there for 30 years and used all the bases frequently as a Marine(active) and retired....and this is the way it is supposed to be.

Again this is all subject to one being stopped and the law enforcement personnel doing their jobs.....the only reason you were not challenged is you kept your nose clean or only rode through and there were no MP's in the housing area at that time if you stopped and took pictures.

Of all my times to the beach for weeks to a month at a time. I have seen the MP's and civilian police patrol at the height of the season at the most...three times a day...unless a reported incident.So you were basically under the wire and were not detected.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Day Pass

Driver's License, vehicle regestration, and proof of auto insurance will get you a day pass. You can go all over the place. The places you can't go are marked really well. Better have that insurance card or a number for your insurance agent. You will not get on without it. I went to Lejeune in 2006 to visit. We went to Onslow Beach, some TLZs, my old barracks and motor pool, No problems, except, let me stress, the proof of insurance. It was pretty fun. The grand-daughter was a little bored, but tolerated her Pop-Pop

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    CLNC sucks! I think I would have stayed in the Corps had I never got stationed there. I have nobody to blame but myself since I did have orders for 29 Stumps, yet I was stupid enough to have someone change them for me and the rest is history.

Thread Information