Pullups
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pullups

Pullups

Hi, I was wondering If Its okay If your not that good at pullups.

Quote Originally Posted by watsmaname View Post

With a little search there is a wealth of information available to you on this site, I hope it's useful to you and that it assists you in your military goals.

One suggestion for this site - the site standard is "generally correct and free of errors" in your posts. Perfection is not expected, but following the basic rules of grammar and spelling will help ensure the member's of this site take you seriously.

Good luck.

No, it's not okay. Do more pullups.

I can see your future... it doesn't look happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner614 View Post
    No, it's not okay. Do more pullups.
    Hahaha.

Practice makes perfect. Work on it.

Pull ups are pretty essential to being a Marine, seeing as you must be able to do atleast 2 before Boot Camp and atleast 3 after.
    But if you keep working on them pull ups are acutally pretty easy to gain. I joined the DEP with barely 1 pull up in September, with only weekly PT I'm at 14 pull ups right now. Honestly if you just do them, you'll get better.

Here is a "Preparation Guide for the Marine Corps Physical Fitness Test."
    If you follow this program you should be able to do 20 pullups in about 4 to 6 weeks.
    If you are really out of shape it will probably take a little more.
    -(Something that really helped me get to 20 wile i was in the DEP is the "Iron Gym" you can get at a local store near you.)

http://oneweb.utc.edu/~semperfi/physical.htm

Poolee/DEP Free Member Hartford's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I went from 2-3 pullups to 9-10 in a matter of a few weeks. They're really not that hard to increase.

When i was in the DEP I was doing 27 pullups and I did NOTHING special. I also had done more than anyone in my high school and again, did NOTHING special...all I did was pullups. Theres no way to get better at doing something than to simply do it. Some people say to do pushups and get 5 eggs, dance around in a circle once on Fridays, twice on Sundays...etc etc etc.

Respectfully, while all of that may not hurt your chances...I don't think it improves it either...just do pullups. Oh, and do them underhand, its easier.

Since Ive gotten older I've filled out, so I'm not the skinny kid I was at 17/18 years old at 150lbs. I'm about 6' 1" and 200 lbs now...but I still can do 20+ pullups overhanded.

Im 5'7 about 226 lbs, Im going to lose about 20 or 30 lbs so I can fit enough to pullups,crunches, and run easier. Thanks for the advice and hopefully I'll talk to a recruiter in a few months.

Why the delay to talk to a recruiter? In your other thread http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=85336 you seemed like you were ready to walk right in to a recruiters office today.

If you were able to sign up today, you'd likely have several months delay before going to boot camp anyway giving you plenty of time to work on your PT.

Why wait?

Easy for you guys to just go in. You guys are normal, Im not I got a disease called psoriasis Im waiting for it to clear up a little bit. Then I'll go talk to the recruiter.

Easy for you guys to just go in. You guys are normal, Im not I got a disease called psoriasis Im waiting for it to clear up a little bit. Then I'll go talk to the recruiter.

I don't know who you're calling normal, but I take offense to that comment.

Oooh my bad I meant people without a disease.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonFMX View Post
    When i was in the DEP I was doing 27 pullups and I did NOTHING special. I also had done more than anyone in my high school and again, did NOTHING special...all I did was pullups. Theres no way to get better at doing something than to simply do it. Some people say to do pushups and get 5 eggs, dance around in a circle once on Fridays, twice on Sundays...etc etc etc.

Respectfully, while all of that may not hurt your chances...I don't think it improves it either...just do pullups. Oh, and do them underhand, its easier.

Since Ive gotten older I've filled out, so I'm not the skinny kid I was at 17/18 years old at 150lbs. I'm about 6' 1" and 200 lbs now...but I still can do 20+ pullups overhanded.
    Do them which ever way is easier for you. I suck at doing them underhand. I can easily bust out 19+ pull ups overhand and maybe 13-15 underhand. So I usually start off overhand and if I dont get 20 I'll switch to underhand to finish it off.

Thread Information