Fear of Death
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fear of Death

Fear of Death

For whatever reason this seemed to be my question of the day at work and its really got me thinking. Or it did and now I've decided on my personal beliefs.

Basically 4 or 5 seperate people asked if i was afraid of dieing. I've only come to the conclusion that i'm afraid of dieing a pointless death. Ultimately everyone dies and i'd rather die a young death over something worth it. Giving my daughter and family and everyone else freedom is worth that to me.

I guess my question is how do you Marines and fellow poolees deal with that fear or question? I have no doubt that if/when (only an "if" because a freak accident could change my becoming a Marine) i'm a Marine i will be shot at. It is an inherent part of an infantry MOS.

Again, my question is how do you deal with that fear or that constant idea that death is a very real part of what you deal with.

Thank you all.

Credits
    Savings
    I found a greater fear of my shortcomings or failure to act resulting in the death of my brothers and therefore my own demise paled in comparison. No greater fear for me than letting them down..

Quote Originally Posted by PaidinBlood View Post
    I found a greater fear of my shortcomings or failure to act resulting in the death of my brothers and therefore my own demise paled in comparison. No greater fear for me than letting them down..
    Absolutely LCpl...That is also a fear. To let down yourself is one thing. But your fellow brothers and sisters is even worse.

Credits
    Savings
    Not giving you a hard time here, but it is one thing to say it, and entirely world-shattering to live it. I hope you understand my intentions when I say you have no clue (yet) what it really means.. I believe you will in time, though. Keep up the hard work..

Credits
    Savings
    Pick the closest human being in the world to you, and picture them lying in a sewage choked street with blood foaming and gurgling from what is left of their throat, as their eyes bore into your soul...their last thought on this world wondering why the F you didn't check that roof... It's late and I've had a long day-I hope that helps a little bit.

Credits
    Savings
    Too late to edit...not tryin to scare you, just put it in perspective. I was blessed and I hope you will be too. Good luck..

I don't know it entirely. I've lost close friends for stupid reasons but never because of me or at my fault. I hope i never do, that may be unrealistic with my MOS choice but if i do the best i can and then a little better than i give them a slightly better chance.

EDIT: scare me? nah, the world has become too pussified. if that scares someone than they may need to rethink their career or life choice in joining something that relies on the killing of others to be kept.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSnips View Post
    Again, my question is how do you deal with that fear or that constant idea that death is a very real part of what you deal with.

Thank you all.
    There are things that are scarier then death.

Letting down your brothers in a time of need is far worse.

When people find out I want to be a Marines the majority of them ask "Aren't you afraid of dying?" I just respond with a simple, "It's something I try not to think about yet."

Do I fear dying? Yeah, and I think a lot of people do. But, like you said Mr. Snips, it's the method in which I die that I fear the most. I have no problem dying while serving my country or helping my future brothers and sisters, it's the greatest honor and truly the ultimate sacrifice. Thank God for all of those who have made it.

Credits
    Savings
    It is futile to fear death for it comes for all. Fear dying with remorse of not living well for something you believe in. Fear dying never sacrificing for the good and valient ideas of heart. Fear your children or their children suffering in your stead and it weighing heavily on your soul forever. Fear the meaningless, cowardly death where one plays it safe and selfish. Fear dying without knowing the way of a warrior. besides that....Fear Nothing but your K-Bar never knowing the stickiness of your enemies blood.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by GravityRain View Post
    It is futile to fear death for it comes for all. Fear dying with remorse of not living well for something you believe in. Fear dying never sacrificing for the good and valient ideas of heart. Fear your children or their children suffering in your stead and it weighing heavily on your soul forever. Fear the meaningless, cowardly death where one plays it safe and selfish. Fear dying without knowing the way of a warrior. besides that....Fear Nothing but your K-Bar never knowing the stickiness of your enemies blood.
    Damm, I was gonna make a valid comment here, until I saw that the Gunny doesn't have a profile. Doc would be all over my ass. Someone lemme know when a profile is completed and I'll be back.

I'd say I fear death, and no I haven't been in the **** yet. But I'm young, I'm happy, I don't want to leave this world or my loved ones behind. I accept death as a reality. I would say I equally fear losing my loved ones and close friends, especially since my girlfriend (whom I have every intention of marrying) is also a Marine. I am ten times more worried about her going over than I am myself.

I DON'T feel by becoming a Marine I effectively signed a suicide contract. It's not like I am in WWII about to storm some beachhead with a less then 50/50 chance of survival. Yes I chose an inherently dangerous lifestyle, but fortunately combat today is nothing like what it was for generations past. This is not to say men and women don't die, but there is a much lesser chance of it "happening to you."

Mike

you should ask them why then is it with the Marines and Army fighting on the same front that the Army is dying twice as much?

The Marines have a better strategy in country than the Army, we are what's called a 'hard' target (hard to hit) while the Army more often than not is a 'soft' target (easy to hit and escape)...

regardless of MOS you will be exposed to dangers, and you can/will be responsible for your brothers to your left and to your right when fighting.

As PIB made it so clear, fear is relative and those who don't use it as a tool to kill the enemy will only shy away from protecting those who are relying on you to survive the firefight.

I just realize I could die of a heart attack or something while writing this. One of my best friends died when we were 14 from a condition no one knew about and is VERY rare. This has made me realize that we can go at anytime for any reason. Theres only one promise in life, and that is death.

more people die from car accidents a year than have the total kia wia in the Marine Corps... you should ask your co-workers if THEY are afraid to die... don't forget to add the "normal" flu kills 30,000 a year... and then there's choking on food and having an allergic reaction to pollen or bees.... skin cancer...

Thread Information