Any one know how to lose 1 min. on the run.
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Any one know how to lose 1 min. on the run.

Ok, I have already came along ways from when I first DEPed in, When I first started I had a 17+min mile and half run, Im curentaly running a 12:03. But my goal is to hit an 11min run. Any suggestions, I run every other day for 3 or more miles, and I only seem to improve by a few seconds ever two weeks I run an IST, any ideas would be awsome.

Keep Practicing

As I used to be able to run a 17:50min 3 mile I would say Im pretty qualified to answer your question. So you wanna get your run time down, well here is the best advice I can give you. Start out by running with some kind of weight, I used a pack myself in the Corps, but you can buy those little ankle weights, and use other things. If you live near the ocean go out and run in the surf, it will kick your a$$, but will benefit you in the long run. I used to do that every day when I was in the fleet. Keep training, drink lots of water the night before of a run, get up in the moring drink a glass, and hit the run. Finally learn how to control your breathing, so you can better pace yourself. Don't start off fast, slowley increase until your about half way through your time whether its a mile and a half, or three mile. Once you hit that half way, explode your energy out, and give it all you got. Thats how I used to do it, worked for me everytime. Good Luck

P.S Im not BS'ing on the water part, make sure you drink alot of water. Get it saturated into you. I still to this day drink about 1-2 gallons a day easly.

You could leave a minute early? Or, you could use sprints, run hills, resistance running with bands or parachute. The more you run the better/faster you will become, but these are good strength techniques that may help. Good luck.

Along with the LCpl's adivce (I love running with weights, it helps so much) Try this program. If it is too intense, cut some mileage off from it. I started on this program and decreased my run times signifcantly. Follow through on it too! Good luck

http://running.about.com/od/5kracetr...5Kadvanced.htm

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Get you some P.F. Flyers....at least it works in the commercials of yesteryear!

Don't start your watch until after you've been running a minute?

Quote Originally Posted by C Thompson View Post
    Ok, I have already came along ways from when I first DEPed in, When I first started I had a 17+min mile and half run, Im curentaly running a 12:03. But my goal is to hit an 11min run. Any suggestions, I run every other day for 3 or more miles, and I only seem to improve by a few seconds ever two weeks I run an IST, any ideas would be awsome.
    Run faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    Get you some P.F. Flyers....at least it works in the commercials of yesteryear!
    I'd go with Keds.....'70's commercials promised you can 'run faster, jump higher'.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Wind Sprints,,,,,,,,,,

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by DGardner View Post
    Run faster.
    Gardner, good one.

When I read #1, that is exactly what I was gonna say.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcmsf View Post
    You could leave a minute early? Or, you could use sprints, run hills, resistance running with bands or parachute. The more you run the better/faster you will become, but these are good strength techniques that may help. Good luck.
    I do exactly that. For the sprints I do, 50 yard sprints and then run back to your starting place at 5-6MPH (I find it helps with breathing). In New York, I go to Sunken Meadow State Park which has some good cross country trails which I'm guessing all state parks do? But Sunken Meadow supposedly is in the top 5 hardest trails in the states. I use resistance running for flat ground running only.

Also, when you're running try and notice which is hurting more if you pick up pace, your muscles or your breathing. If its your breathing, I did the sprints exercise stated above and when its my muscles I use off road trails and such. But if anything add sprints to your work out, not only will they add muscle definition to your legs but it will get those lungs expanding for better breathing...combine the 2 and you will get a faster run

I find that running in water works wonders. Also running hills and steps works good too.

Running.. Thats how you lose time.. You RUN

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Alls great suggestions especially Capital Ms link. Run harder yes but also have you been running daily? Because I usually do and when I really started this journy I hit a point where I was running 14ish. You know few seconds plus or minus but 14 average and couldn't seem to break the pattern. Til a while ago I ... ok so I slacked and didn't run for like 3 or 4 days and freaked thinking I'd screwed myself for p.t. that saturday. Lucky me it was cancelled, but I linked up with a buddy and hit the track anyway and ran a 12.45 skipped sunday then ran 12.15 monday. Point being take a break to let your muscles rest and repair. Come back and run like you're aimed for your usual, and watch an unpressed improvement.

the weights are a good idea.

But you should push the distance and speed will naturally follow. In other words run longer distances.

Thread Information