Enlisted admission to Naval Academy? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lance Corporal, Have you ever thought about finishing your enlistment and going reserve while you go to college through the ROTC program? It is a great program if you are motivated or do you really want to go to Annapolis?

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlHolmes165 View Post
    You want to fly in the military, the army may be the way for you.

Remember, you could be the most AJ squared away mofo they have ever seen.
    Oohrah, Sgt. I'm sure I would be (unusually squared away for a soldier), but even if I liked the apache (I don't), I know I would spend the rest of my career looking back sadly on what I probably could have done were I willing to invest a little more of myself for less immediate and easy rewards. The Marine Corps means more to me than I can describe in words. It is an intense and profound part of who and what I am and have become, and am becoming. The only uniform I belong in is the uniform my brother wore, and the uniform that commands the respect and tradition that only the Marine Corps can. As I said, if I had wanted to fly as easily and quickly as possible, I could have gone army to begin with a full year ago. I'd be flying now instead of posting here. It's worth the sacrifice to me.

"Lance Corporal, Have you ever thought about finishing your enlistment and going reserve while you go to college through the ROTC program? It is a great program if you are motivated or do you really want to go to Annapolis?"

Thanks for the advice, Cpl. I'm pretty confident, especially with my MOS, that I can get my degree while I'm enlisted. That's my worst case option. I'm too old to get into the academy, but I should still be able to apply for MECEP, which would enable me to quit my regular duties and be paid full time just to go to school and get my degree as quickly as possible. Re-enlisting into the reserves and then doing ROTC on the side shouldn't be necessary.

Thanks, everyone, for your input.
    Semper Fidelis,
    -LCpl L

Good Evening All,
    I was actually curious regarding some of the same issues. I currently 20 years old. Qualified for both the Naval Academy and the MECEP program, but what would really be the difference between the USNA and the MECEP program? I know with MECEP, you must be a SGT per the new MCO and you are payed as such, where with the USNA there are no rank requirements but you are not paid, you are just a Midshipmen. What would be the best avenue for prior enlisted.

Credits
    Savings
    Nate, you sound like a good Marine with a great attitude. I am sure you will succeed with your goal of becoming a Marine Officer, good luck with whatever path you choose.

This thread is a good example of why respect is not gone, even here at Leatherneck. Here are three intelligent, mature, respectful Marines, it is a pleasure to read about their efforts to improve themselves and our Corps.

Credits
    Savings

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by TJR1070 View Post
    Nate, you sound like a good Marine with a great attitude. I am sure you will succeed with your goal of becoming a Marine Officer, good luck with whatever path you choose.

This thread is a good example of why respect is not gone, even here at Leatherneck. Here are three intelligent, mature, respectful Marines, it is a pleasure to read about their efforts to improve themselves and our Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDog2009 View Post
    Good Evening All,
    I was actually curious regarding some of the same issues. I currently 20 years old. Qualified for both the Naval Academy and the MECEP program, but what would really be the difference between the USNA and the MECEP program? I know with MECEP, you must be a SGT per the new MCO and you are payed as such, where with the USNA there are no rank requirements but you are not paid, you are just a Midshipmen. What would be the best avenue for prior enlisted.
    If I were you, I'd go MECEP since you'd maintain Sgt rank/income -- basically paid to go to college -- and it is designed for prior enlisted.

As far as the USNA, like you said, no pay and you'd be surrounded by a bunch of damn idiot kids. Don't you about you, but that would just **** me off.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Even though this post is about 18 months old, I'll add my two cents

First the OP is now too old for admissions to the academy. You must be under 23 on or before 6/1 of the year you are applying

Second, Middies do get paid. It comes out to about $880/month out which comes all their expenses, leaving Plebes with about $100/month. Since they seldom get off the station, they don't need much money. Firsties, or seniors end up with about $400/month cash. They have far more freedom and hence can leave the station more often

Finally, Student Naval Aviators must first obtain an officer commission. To become a Naval Aviator, one must be between the ages of 19 and 26 when entering flight training. Adjustments (waivers) can be made up to 24 months for those with prior service, and up to 48 months for those already in the military at the time of application or for Marine Corps PLC (Platoon Leader's Course) applicants with prior service

Just for future reference

There is a service prep school, but it has mostly been converted for blacks who are enlisted directly into the school and then sent to the academy.

There may still be some non-black spots there, so I would ask.

Path to Commission

LCpl Ligon-
    As a Naval Academy and Naval Academy Prep School graduate, I am glad you are interested in a path to commission. I have also served on the selection board of the local Congressmen for 15 years so I understand the process. You are, in fact, too old to apply to the USNA. However, there is another similar path that may interest you. I recommend you look at the US Merchant Marine Academy site (usmma.org). While their focus is for officers to serve in the United States Merchant Fleet, they also offer commissions to every service, included the USMC. In addition, you may enter by 25 years old. For all academies, including this one, you need to be accepted and to be nominated for admission. There are several nominations sources including your Congressman, Senator, VP of the USA, and the active and reserve forces.

Cal Meek
    Captain USNR-Ret

Thread Information