Question regarding the CAR - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Am a bit surprised at some the reaction to the CAR. "If" a Marine/Navy rated that ribbon, you would think it would be one of his "most cherished". Don't want to get into a debate about ribbons in general, I understand those views.
    National Defence, War on Terror, all are special and mean different things to different people...the Car would also be special to those that rate it.
    Don't see the need to belittle the award...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I have seen so many strut around acting like if you don't have a CAR then you are less of a Marine. I've tried to take an oposite stance on that. A Marine without one is no less a Marine than a Marine with one. Didn't mean to seem belittleing to the award.

Sorry, but the National Defense is the Fire Watch ribbon if you ask me, and since I was on fire-watch on Parris Island in February of 1991, it's absolutely true.

I'm not sure the CAR is the most important or means the most, mainly because they restrict who gets it or it almost becomes political for some guys. Makes me think of the Army with grenade badges or something.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be criteria for the award but sometimes it's like winning the MOH - you gotta die for it.

All of the sudden some guy gets a CAR and he thinks he's GI Joe Greatest American Hero or something. But he might have just sniffed it, or got hooked up, I dunno. I don't have one so I guess I'm sour.

I think it's great to take pride in ribbons and medals and all, but the things I was always most proud of was my 300 PFT, and multiple expert awards in both weapons, in a lot of weapons.

Those are things that each individual directly controls the fate of, and to me that has always been the most important.

It's not someones opinion, judgement, thought, or anything else, it's just me and the goal.

I know guys that were over there and saw plenty of sheet, but for whatever reason they don't have a CAR - WTF, Over?

I assume a CAR is the Combat Action award; I didn’t have one listed on my DD214 either. One of the guys in my platoon told me that the Combat Action award and two Presidential unit citations were awarded to our unit after we left the Marine Corps. He told me he talked to our old unit lieutenant and the lieutenant (now retired Lt. Col) was able to certify his eligibility and they were added to his DD214.

I don’t care much about which awards are on my DD214 but I wish I hadn’t given away the T-67 Iron Man ID Bracelet given to me at Boot Camp graduation, by the MCRD Base Commander. My old girl friend probably throw it away years ago, at least I still have the photo.

Last edited by Blues65; 05-28-09 at 12:56 PM. Reason: spelling

FYI anyone interested: If you served in combat prior to 1969 and think you might rate the CAR, obtain and complete a SF180 from the VA, on the line marked "other info/docs requested", state the following: I request award of the Combat Action Ribbon pursuant to Section 564 of Public Law 106-65 for combat actions against hostile enemy forces.

Mail your completed SF180 to:

Bureau of Naval Personnel
    Laison Office, Room 5409
    St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

Usually takes about 6 months to get the reply and award in the mail. At the same time, you can also request that they research your record and issue any other awards you earned that were not made until after your EAS.

Semper Fi

The car came about after a bunch of cry babies wanted something like the army's combat ribbon. Also it came about durning one of Americas lowest times. It was meant to be a "atta boy" reward to lift your sperits to make you like the top brass better.

I got out of the Marine Corps in july of '69 before the car was authorized. When I found out about it a couple years ago I went through the process of applying for it. I got a reply from HQMC that because I was in artillary I didnt rate it but if I thought I did I needed affidavids from 3 eyewitnesses saying they saw me in a bonofide firefight. I figured that was alot of trouble to go through, besides how am I going to find 3 Marines who saw me 43 years ago

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    WOOKIE....I'll be nice!! The M.O.H. is NOT WON...it's AWARDED! The Combat Action Ribbon is AWARDED for obvious reasons. If you are wounded, or suffer ANY ill side effects, from your Duty with a Marine Line Company, while in a WAR zone or Theater, THEN....you are able to claim the disability as Combat related.....DOC

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    When I joined the Marines at 17, I sure as hel felt I had a job to do. I didn't get to do that job. Instead, I got 'educated' and was too 'important' to get shot at. "We don't need no Stinkin Badges". That I didn't get the CAR on my 214 was not the question. Me, and my unit wore it for a time,,,,,That was the question. Even after transfeers, I/ We wore it till I got out. {And I'll say again, we didn't deserve it}. It was just a Uniform U question,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Now,,,You Gyrenes wanna fight??????? Lets get it on,,,,,,,,,,,, I got another beer left,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by DocGreek View Post
    WOOKIE....I'll be nice!! The M.O.H. is NOT WON...it's AWARDED! The Combat Action Ribbon is AWARDED for obvious reasons. If you are wounded, or suffer ANY ill side effects, from your Duty with a Marine Line Company, while in a WAR zone or Theater, THEN....you are able to claim the disability as Combat related.....DOC
    Nice catch, Doc, I fugged up there. No offense intended.

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    NOT A BIG DEAL!! My DD215 has sh!t on it that I've never heard of! STILL waiting to hear about my "Pink Hearts"!! I was sent a "form" letter to say that BUPERS would check into it, but could take MONTHS!! Like you, I really don't give a crap, just as long as they keep sending me the money...honey!!....DOC

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    My fellow Marines, if you take all the ribbons, medals, and certificates that you were awarded to any coffee shop, along with $1.25, you can get a cup of coffee!

My point is, unless you are with other service people, or vets, no one gives a dam about them because they don't know what they are! I doubt that 1 in 10 people even know a MOH when they see one!

As old FISTFUL always says, "IT AIN'T THE CHEST CANDY THAT MAKES THE MARINE"! Every Marine that finished Boot camp and earned the title is a Marine in my book!

Semper Fi,

Dave

For all of the vets on this board that have applied, or intend to apply to the VA for service connected disability for PTSD, listen up!!! Having the CAR will make approval of your claim EAISIER and FASTER! The VA recognizes certain awards as presumptive proof that you were subjected to a "stressful incident" beyond what the everyday member of the armed forces is subjected to. Those awards include ANY award for Heroism or Valor, the Purple Heart, or the CAR. Any of these awards means that you are 1/3 of the way to winning your claim from the get-go. All you need then is a current diagnosis of PTSD, and for the doc to say that your PTSD is the result of your military service (the link between military service and the PTSD) and you are home free. Think about it, if you participated in combat and the CAR is not listed on your DD 214,and you did not get the Purple Heart or some award for Valor, submit that SF 180 to the address that I posted earlier, because it WILL speed up ypur claim and make it eaisier and less frustrating for you.

Semper Fi

OldTop

Another Thought !

You Earned The Title "MARINE" upon Graduation From Recruit Training. It Wasn't Willed To You, It Isn't A Gift. It Is Not A Government Subsidy. Few Can Claim The Title, No One May Take It Away. It Is Yours Forever !!!

Am Still Gonna Claim The CAR, Will Let Ya Know What Happens.....

I don't know for sure if this is true or not, but I read somewhere that the U.S. Armed Forces never awarded any medals or ribbons before the U.S. Civil War.

If true, then I suppose being a living Veteran was enough honor in those days.

Thread Information