$80,000 scholarship - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks wookie, that's good information. I'm so glad that things are looking up for our guys!!

I also received $80,000. My recruiter says it's a scholarship. I had my highschool graduation last night and I was shocked when I heard my name.

Interesting.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Interesting.
    Never knew about this either. That $80K will pay for about 2 years worth of tuition at most private colleges. You still have to kick in another $10-12K for board

Those service academies are looking better and better

$80.000.00 upon enlisting, WOW. I doubt that I made that much during my whole 20 year enlistment. Of course the pay scale was not what it is today.

Is your son a basketball player, golfer, football player??? I thought those people were the only ones who got a big signing bonus.

Read the fine print.

If the GI Bill still works the same (and why I'm not just looking it up before running my mouth I don't know), you pay in 100/month for a year. Then you can utilize your GI Bill. You get a monthly check once you have enrolled into college through the reporting VA rep. Or whatever. You don't just get an $80k check.

Quote Originally Posted by wildwoman73 View Post
    Read the fine print.

If the GI Bill still works the same (and why I'm not just looking it up before running my mouth I don't know), you pay in 100/month for a year. Then you can utilize your GI Bill. You get a monthly check once you have enrolled into college through the reporting VA rep. Or whatever. You don't just get an $80k check.
    I believe what Taira just posted is what my son explained to me, but his was $50,000 ... that was in 2008. He told me being enrolled in a college/university was a requirement.

Mine was $32,000. And I used EVERY bit of it. I only wish I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up back then. I changed my degree so many time that I could take 8-16 semester hours in any direction and have two degrees!! Terrible. Nursing. Criminal Justice. English. Forensic Science. They say a mind is a terrible thing to waste. I'm guessing containing a restless mind to one subject is a terrible thing to conquer.

Thread Information