Published May 22 2009
A woman’s tale of WWII

The former Cpl. Fonger is not your typical Marine. The Superior native, who served during World War II, didn’t see overseas action, get a buzz cut or pine for the girl back home.

By: Maria Lockwood, Superior Telegram

The former Cpl. Fonger is not your typical Marine. The Superior native, who served during World War II, didn’t see overseas action, get a buzz cut or pine for the girl back home.

Instead, Cpl. Muriel Fonger delivered mail by motor scooter in San Diego, Calif., looking neat and ladylike. Now Muriel Idziorek, the veteran, is a little older but no less proud of her service. As the poster on her door says, she’s “Not as mean, not as lean, but still a Marine.”

“It was wonderful and we helped; I know we did,” said Idziorek, 86, who now lives in Duluth.

A new exhibit at the Richard I. Bong Veterans Historical Center sheds light on the lives of lady Marines. It features one of three coordinated uniforms Idziorek donated to the museum as well as other memorabilia she kept in an old cedar chest.

“Each outfit had its own purse,” said Jan Conley of Lake Nebagamon, Idziorek’s daughter. The summer seersucker outfit, which is on display, required a pair of white gloves, as well. Even lipstick was regulated — the shade had to compliment the uniform.

“It had a military component, but very ladylike,” Conley said.

Not knowing what to do with the uniform bounty when her mother moved, Conley called the Bong Center. Executive Director Bob Fuhrman said they were happy to take the items.

“It’s unique,” he said. “We don’t have a lot of material related to women in the collection.”

The number of pieces was also appreciated.

“A comprehensive group like this gives great insight,” Fuhrman said.

For Idziorek, the items evoke memories.

An Uncle Sam poster lured the East End resident of Superior into a St. Paul post office to enlist in the Marines on Nov. 23, 1943.

“It was during the war,” Idziorek said of her decision. While her younger brothers Glenn and Bobby joined the Army Air Force and Navy Air Force, respectively, Idziorek chose the U.S. Marine Corps Women’s Reserve.

Her stint in the military began with boot camp in North Carolina, which included physical training such as push-ups, sit-ups and running.

“I was a junior platoon leader,” Idziorek said. “I was good at leading the troops.”

At the age of 21, the Superior native found herself traveling to Miramar, the Marine Corps Aviation Depot in San Diego on a troop train. There, men outnumbered women 12 to one.

“When you went to a dance, you had it made,” Idziorek said. But it was important for the women to stand up for themselves. If any Marine got out of line while waiting for mail, the Superior woman had a quick retort.

“I would say ‘Isn’t it funny how people who don’t talk nicely don’t get any mail,’” Idziorek recalled.

She spent two years and two months serving her country. It was a good experience and Idziorek made many friends.

“But then when the war was over you wanted to come home,” she said. Brothers Glenn and Bobby also returned to Superior when their service was up.

There, Idziorek reconnected with Bob Idziorek, who she had first met at East High School. He had been working for the U.S. Navy at Pearl Harbor in a civilian capacity during the war. The two married in 1948. They raised three children and ran the Gamble Store in Morgan Park for 35 years.

On Monday, Idziorek will visit the graves of her brothers at Nemadji Cemetery and her husband’s grave site in Duluth’s Oneota Cemetery.

“We bring flowers,” she said.

Idziorek said she had visited the Bong Center a few times. She appreciates the exhibits and memorial wall listing veterans who served.

The display celebrating Idziorek’s service will remain up through the summer, joining a new exhibit on the Merchant Marines. When she stopped to view it, Idziorek said she was glad to see they used a “good-looking” picture and noted a few changes for the narrative.

“I was proud I was there,” she said.

Anyone wishing to donate items related to military service to the Bong Center can call 392-7151.

Ellie