Improving breathing during runs
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings

Improving breathing during runs

I've been working to improve my running over this past month but with minor success. One thing I have determined, though, is that a big issue is that I do not breathe properly or consistantly. This seems to be the source of everything. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to improve and standardize my breathing to increase my sustained run distance?

Also, I asked my buddy who already earned the title of Marine about this and he suggested exhaling on the left leg, and that it helps prevent stomach cramps. I trust him, but I want to know if this is true for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurokawa View Post
    I've been working to improve my running over this past month but with minor success. One thing I have determined, though, is that a big issue is that I do not breathe properly or consistantly. This seems to be the source of everything. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to improve and standardize my breathing to increase my sustained run distance?

Also, I asked my buddy who already earned the title of Marine about this and he suggested exhaling on the left leg, and that it helps prevent stomach cramps. I trust him, but I want to know if this is true for others.
    First time I have heard of that.

Slow, deep breaths through the nose, hold for a second, slowly exhale out the mouth, one second pause.
    Repeat.
    Breathing should be in tempo with your running pace.

That is how I breath when I run long distance.

Sound like you just need to concentrate more on actually running then your breathing.

Credits
    Savings
    Well, my running is more-or-less fine. My pace may need adjustment, I'm not sure, but I run at what is comfortable and doesn't feel too slow or too fast.

Well, my running is more-or-less fine. My pace may need adjustment, I'm not sure, but I run at what is comfortable and doesn't feel too slow or too fast.
    Are you training for the IST or the PFT?
    Switch to training for the PFT.

Credits
    Savings
    I am training for the PFT, because if I can ace that then the IST is no worry.

When I run, I take one longer breath in through my nose, and exhale two short, crisp ones through my mouth. Very rhythmic, iiiiinnn-out-out, iiinn-out-out. I exhale when my legs come up, kind of letting them push my diaphragm up. I've run like this for years, and it works for me.

Jesus Christ! How can you run while concentrating so hard on breathing? Just take deep breaths, the more oxygen muscles have the better off you'll be.

Not to be a d!ck, but your signature says you run 15:40 IST. So, if that's correct, you CAN'T 'ace' the IST.
    And in my nasty civilian opinion, BR34 has the best advice yet.

Quote Originally Posted by JSam View Post
    Not to be a d!ck, but your signature says you run 15:40 IST. So, if that's correct, you CAN'T 'ace' the IST.
    Agreed. Breath it in, blow it out.

Credits
    Savings
    Yea, it's a 15:40 with nothing prior for 4.5 years. Not to disrespect BR34, because he has a point, but he leaves out the details that not breathing well plays havoc with your body. Sure I can take in deep breaths, but not done properly you still can get stomache cramps and excessive phlegme build-up.

Yea, it's a 15:40 with nothing prior for 4.5 years. Not to disrespect BR34, because he has a point, but he leaves out the details that not breathing well plays havoc with your body. Sure I can take in deep breaths, but not done properly you still can get stomache cramps and excessive phlegme build-up.
    I never get cramps when I run, and I never focus on my breathing. Let it be natural. If you end up with spit in your mouth, fine, drink it, it's extra hydration.

Quote Originally Posted by JSam View Post

Sucking up to NCO isn't going to help you yet....

The best things for working on your wind is sprints....fartlicks, suicides, and the such.
    If you can find a rural area to run, calling cadence while you run will also help. While you are running in bootcamp scream as loud as you can during formation runs, you'll be working your diaphram harder and strengthening your vocal chords.

sprints, sprints, sprints.......and stop thinking about breathing. Your body will take care of that part.

Credits
    Savings
    Aye, aye. Thank you Sergeant.

The breathing portion is what gave me alot of trouble at first. It still does actually but I have never been athletic so to speak actually the only activities I participated in during high school were bowling team and marching band lol. It just takes time. I started breathing in during two steps and then out on the next three it helped now I don't think about it as much. I think I need to work on my form now though.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMIRÉ View Post
    Sucking up to NCO isn't going to help you yet....
    Can't blame me for trying, Sgt.

Thread Information